How do you stop mistaking opponent's strong hands for bluffs?

• Thread starter Mamkin_Pokerist
  • Start date
Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How often do you have situations where you are sure that your opponent is bluffing, but he actually has a very good hand? What emotions do you experience? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is rarely the case.
There is a way to judge from the situation of the place, but 99% is okay even if you judge by feeling.
At least I was.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
How often do you have situations where you are sure that your opponent is bluffing, but he actually has a very good hand? What emotions do you experience? :rolleyes:

I dont really feel an emotion when I am wrong. What I do feel is the need to figure out what line he took there to learn from my error. One thing I have learned is people dont bluff as much as you think.

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making a call with a bluff catcher all depends on your opponent's tendencies. If I'm sure I have a read that someone is over-bluffing a spot I have no issue with calling down and losing if I run into a value hand because I know that it was an overall profitable spot. That being said, most players at low limit live and microstakes online have a very value heavy betting, raising and check-raising range which makes it easy to just lay most bluff catchers down.

A

arsenalcho_1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi

if he bets 3 streets in a row, do you think he is bluffing? In freerolls they bluff a lot, there you can have the best hand and the other player can bet and bet

Mamkin_Pokerist

Mamkin_Pokerist

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if he bets 3 streets in a row, do you think he is bluffing? In freerolls they bluff a lot, there you can have the best hand and the other player can bet and bet
I think the higher the limit, the more experienced the players are. In my opinion, bluff can be found much more often from experienced players, they own this tool

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all when we are calling on the river, our goal is not to win. Our goal is only to win often enough. If we are facing a half pot bet, we need to win 1 out of 4. If we are facing a full pot bet, we need to win 1 out of 3. If we are facing a 10% pot bet, we need to win 1 out of 12. So its not like, its a big failure, if we call and lose. This is fully expected, and if we always fold, we also lose, just less at a time.

With that being said try to be honest with yourself about, weather you actually thought, your opponent was bluffing, or if you just wanted him to be bluffing, because you got married to your hand. If the latter is the case, then you are making bad calls, and this is something, which require discipline to overcome.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In any hand, you can roughly determine the odds of winning the pot and assess the risks. At the same time, do not forget to take into account the size of your opponent's bets and the odds of the pot.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
For a bluff to be successful, it needs to tell a believable story. It means that you need to analyze the opponents range and his moves in previous streets. If it makes sense, it probably isn't a bluff or it is a good one. Folding to a good bluff is no shame.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Lots of times it is just believing the cards on the table. If I have pocket queens, I will not risk losing alot if there is already an ace or king on the board.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands