How do you resist this?

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to slow-play tactic sometimes and give the opponent the illusion that I have bad cards. In such cases he raises and I raise his bet. Some opponents 3-bets and so it comes to all-in. But I call this, having probably the largest flush, full house, four of a kind or straight of all possible, so the probability of increasing the number of my chips is more than 92%.

Nevertheless, I am afraid of such moments when someone may have a strong combination and therefore try not to raise. However, there are tricky players who use the same trick, but against me. Having trips or even four of a kind on the flop, they check! Of course, most often this happens after reaching the top places.

How to fight against it? Especially if you run out of chips and you can’t check if the player is noticed behind a bluff or slow-play before. What are your methods, what helps you? Thanks for attentions friends!

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Hi alexand8r,

Poker can be tricky and many times even the most unexpected things happen. It is always good to know your opponent and if you grind the same levels day in day out it is not a bad idea to make notes how the tricky villains play their hands.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't really worry about it. If you have the nuts, you have the nuts. It's rare that someone has a higher full house/flush than you, if we're talking about holdem of course.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You need to start approaching your opponent's hand as a range and not an exact holding. Sometimes you will run into the top of his range, but there are plenty of times when he won't be holding the top of his range.

For example, today I ran 9s full into quad aces. But, the player was a station and would have called with any Ace (trips), the possible flush on the board, and the possible straight. And, I had been hammering him in previous hands. I wasn't worried about AA, AT, or TT (the only three combinations that beat me).

Anyway, if you aren't betting your hands because there are a few combinations that beat it, you are leaving money on the table. Start betting them more. And start looking at what you are getting called by. Then you can get an idea of how thinly you can value bet. That can be very dependant on the game and stakes. I had a live game with a couple people I could reliably bet 2nd pair on the river for value.

There's more detail to this than I can type in the phone App, but it is important to stop being afraid of monsters. If you're never losing a stack with the second or third nuts to the pure nuts, you're too weak.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
won't be proud

When you have a monster hand, an enemy tends to have a monster hand, too.

You won't be proud and also plays the situation of the place while thinking.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also sometimes use this method if the flop is suitable.

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
There are a lot of ways of behavior and tactics of playing at the table against opponents. So many variations that you can’t list. Your option to mislead the enemy is no exception:)