How do you play against a calling station?

magicius

magicius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just hate to play vs them... They get uber lucky... Sure you can extract money from them,but in most hands you need to be very strong... Dont get too ****y and think your AA is better than their 26o

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk

SANDYHOOKER KY

SANDYHOOKER KY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. Pick and jab, lower the boom when you got him, crawfish when you don't. Not hard to do even against a lucky station, poker hands have handles, you can turn them over.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These are the same position... if they are on your right you are on their left?

Yep! Typo ;) I meant to say "you're" in both cases. Thanks for the catch ;)

trolaAa

trolaAa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waiting to hit your best hand and play your cards most aggressive way !

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had KK on BTN, 3bet the UTG who open raised. He calls.

JT3 on flop. He chks I bet. He calls.

7 on turn sets up str and flush draw. I shove. He calls with QJos.

J falls. 5 outter. I lose.

Without luck you cannot win against calling station.

Last edited:
R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly have encountered this problem in tournaments played by me so far .... and I think it's best to play strong hands at first .... at least until you ask the players giving all in any

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play strong your good hands and hope that they have satisfied hand for their standard to call your bet(s)

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you play a calling station

I play in the micros too and there's a lot of players that play hyper aggressive there just trying to make you fold ,then you get use to these players and you become a calling station thinking there bluffing ,but to answer your question play TAG,don't bluff .

R

racorel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
waiting for a good hand and give all in good hands .... or when you're re-raise and try to steal as many blinds...and when you have more chips than he demands all-in but good book or straight connectors,flush

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
When playing at micro-stakes, I have a problem with the players that seems to call any bet, either pre- flop or after. Any advice?

Hi !

It is quite a difficult to play a table where are 2-3 calling stations and they are crazy in calling anything with any 2 cards and the worst thing is that it is impossible to read them... :(

Therefore the best way how to deal with just players is honestly to wait for some premium hand and push them as much as possible.

If you are thinking about going AI ... I would rather go AI preFlop with premium hand and not giving them any Flop cheap.

Yes ...you might loose some of those hands but in longer term you should be profiting from playing with such Calling Station !

And one more thing ....do not overrate QQ or KK after the flop with Ace on the Flop as most of those crazy calling players have Ax on their calling range .

Good luck @TAbles !

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get big hand
bet
bet
bet
bet
bet
oh you have 2nd pair with an ace? I have top set!
SHIP IT calling station

B

BlakeBrown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just do not even bother bluffing... However a successful Semi-Bluff against a calling station is one of the most profitable plays situations you can have:icon_sunn

vnonline

vnonline

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These players are crazy in calling and raising so you shouldn't follow them, even they have nothing. I won't kill myself for these people :D because I can't guess what will happen next. The only thing I can do is waiting for good cards and kick them out. :D good luck!

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against a calling station you can play more marginal hands.bet big when you have a good hand.raise big pre-flop with premium hands 4 or 5 times the BB.with a very good hand you can check and make him bluff to take his chips.also i think its better to check the draws instead of betting

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against a calling station you can play more marginal hands.bet big when you have a good hand.raise big pre-flop with premium hands 4 or 5 times the BB.with a very good hand you can check and make him bluff to take his chips.also i think its better to check the draws instead of betting

I have yet to figure out how to beat a calling station consistently. Since they rarely fold, you can only win at showdown.

I know it's very easy in theory (i.e. bet big for value and don't bluff). All good if you hit your share of cards, but if you are running bad and the cards are all going his way, you're shit out of luck. With no fold equity and BS luck, you simply cannot win.

I had this guy rape me in the butt 5x with inferior hands going in. I didn't really raise any of the pots very large as I was hitting air with AK/AQ and the one time I had KK he hit an ace on the flop with A3.

The only big pot I won all day was when I was behind 1:3 going in. Nut flush draw vs. 222.

Go figure. The dogs win every showdown.

doncaster

doncaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i play poker a lot at the same venues and i hate sitting at the table with some players who i know are calling stations.
They just dont know when to fold!! they may have 22 and the flop is JQK and i bet but they still call(even if i show AK !!!).They always hope for another 2 and ...... unfortuneate for me...they always hit.
I look at them and think WTF...how could you call?
That is poker,anything can happen...but why do the stoooopid always get lucky?
I know i am not the only poker playing to lose to a calling station and i wont be the last,but it is sooo frustrating to be in a hand with AK or KK and be called with some J2 or Q3 and lose the hand.
What else could we have done to avoid losing the hand.The calling station often says "it was my BB" or "they were suited" as if J2 or Q3 were monster starting hands.
You cant beat luck...but keep trying !