How do you know if your Fish?

J

JordanPoker3

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How do you know if your a fish or is that just a loosely thrown around expression nowadays? I work hard to study and understand the maths in particular I still feel a bit fishy though. I think my bet sizing has no real structure or pattern. Any tips would also be appreciated.

S

sarniack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your bet sizing is supposed to not have any pattern ;). If you use patterns, you can be exploited.

I like the term "recreational player", which I heard from some twitch streamers I watch. Maybe this is not the same exactly (because probably there are recreational players, who play very good poker), but it is at least less insulting.

As for your question - if you are unsure, than probably regs will know that you are recreational player. When I watched some of the reviews of the online tournaments, I was surprised how small details made someone being labeled as recreational player. But then those were medium/high stakes reviews.

Anyway, you shouldn't be concerned with this I guess. Just try to play your best and work on your game, if someone thinks that you are a fish, screw him ;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you think you're a fish... you likely are. On the bright side there are MANY very bad players who have no clue how bad they are... in fact many of them actually think they are good (showing just how clueless they really are.... they're 'Fish in Denial'... Don't Even know how bad they are!

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know you are the fish when you sit out and everyone else sits out in response. :D

S

subsinind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When some one makes a grammatical error, I know they are fishy.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
How do you know if your a fish or is that just a loosely thrown around expression nowadays? I work hard to study and understand the maths in particular I still feel a bit fishy though. I think my bet sizing has no real structure or pattern. Any tips would also be appreciated.

They join a poker forum and one of their first posts is like this one. ---> https://www.cardschat.com/forum/pok...6/convinced-all-showdowns-50-50-888-a-326843/

Your bet sizing is supposed to not have any pattern ;). If you use patterns, you can be exploited.

I like the term "recreational player", which I heard from some twitch streamers I watch. Maybe this is not the same exactly (because probably there are recreational players, who play very good poker), but it is at least less insulting.

It isn't the same for the reason you stated, I am a recreational player, just because I don't grind poker it doesn't make me a fish, I play poker to give me pleasure first and then there is the prize money.

If you think you're a fish... you likely are. On the bright side there are MANY very bad players who have no clue how bad they are... in fact many of them actually think they are good (showing just how clueless they really are.... they're 'Fish in Denial'... Don't Even know how bad they are!

There you go again, making comments that resemble me. :thefinger

;)

Lerts

Lerts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the variables would be (1) constant bad decision making. If you continually make bad decisions while playing you can easily consider yourself a fish. SO -ev decision making constantly would place you with the fish.

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you chase cards with raises that doesn't make any sense, you are definitely a fish :D

A

armher

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are going all-in with any cards, you are a fish

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
genrally seaking - HUD.
but here and there г can find a hyper-uber-fish that you dont need a HUD to tell you he/she is not a good player... for exmpl. if you some one who limped-called 8 out of 10 last hands... I think you can add up =)

T

Tricky123bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know you are the fish when you sit out and everyone else sits out in response. :D

Simple, someone will tell you so in the chatbox. :)

Haha good ones :)

I think recreational player is a relative term. You can be an alright poker player, but if you play at too high stakes you will be the recreational player. Fish are the really bad players that are pretty much going to lose at whatever stake they play at, because they will play drunk or don't even know the basics of poker.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just looked in the mirror and seen gills and scales so it appears that I am a fish

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its kinda like the ole adage "if you dont know who the fish is at the table, its you".

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you don't follow the game, positions and your opponents and go in risk with every hand

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get a large enough sample size of hands, say 100k, and see where you are. Try to do this at the lowest limits so your bankroll has the legs to allow you to learn.

N

Nodus Jazz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don;t remember who said it, but it goes like this:"If you haven't found who's the fish in half an hour (the quote was about live play), then chances are you are the fish."

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You know you are a fish if you do not see a fish at your table.

You can also tell who is a fish, because when the fish is a blind, more players at the table go into the hand or raise preflop against fish.

Doblador bus

Doblador bus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not necessary to have in cucina that beyond the strategies and in the technical explanations the poker is a game of chance and it takes a little luck

S

subsinind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know you are a fish if you do not see a fish at your table.

You can also tell who is a fish, because when the fish is a blind, more players at the table go into the hand or raise preflop against fish.

Agree only with the 1st point. Especially useful for live table selection.

J

Jorg3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes playing fisherman does not usually go well because lucky patron can play against you and lose hands with really good cards.

J

Jorg3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If that is true but you also have to know when to see the cards on the table and when not.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your tail got eaten by sharks, you might be a fish...

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If your gills have been kicked by donkeys...