How do you keep track?

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you use to keep track of your progress when playing poker?

For example how much money you invested, how much you won/lost, what did you learn in a particular session, what mistakes you made that you want to avoid or what worked well, your state of mind while playing, if and what caused it to change? etc.

I want to start doing this but not sure how it's most efficient? Is there any software anybody uses? I'm thinking to use excel but maybe there is a better way?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would use tracking software (if possible) for the results tracking. Otherwise you could use Excel / Google Spreadsheet or there are many good Apps to track results for live play.

For the text part, that's a cool idea -- maybe you could use Evernote or start a public blog. Good luck with this process!

S

silversun87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you Collin! I have started using PT4 a month ago but was just using it in the actual games. Now I see that in fact in statistics it shows a lot :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I have been keeping such records for about three years now. Such statistics are very valuable and allow me to be more efficient and minimize losses. I use Excel.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have a tracker but also I use an Excel with all the sites I play and I keep track +/- bankrolls whenever I play.
For the spots I am not sure I review the hands through the tracker. In those poker rooms which I can't use a HUD a screenshot may does the job for you.

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Using PT4 for all my games on all my computers and sync them with each other on Dropbox :)

venycyos

venycyos

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have kept these records for about three years. These statistics are very valuable and allow me to be more efficient and minimize losses. I use Excel.

It really seems like a good idea I will definitely try.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are so many fancy dancy ways of keeping score. In poker, it is the bankroll. If you are making deposits, you are going in the wrong direction.
Just write in a log each day what you started with, what you ended with, how many entrants, and what position you placed. start and end time.

you can sum your total winnings.
you can sum your total play time.
you can divide the winnings by the amount of time you play to see how much you are winning an hour.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also use excel for my history. Every $ I ever invested is captured, along a record of the key elements of the stakes, how many players, results, how long, key hands and observations about how I played, etc. This is the only real way to capture your live and online play in one spot.

Online tracking is great for hand history and for online results, but I find it not always capturing what I need and definitely misses my live play.

Good luck and God bless.

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Software on pc or mobile works best for keeping up with tracking info. Honestly I'd quit worrying about how much you win or lose and focus more on improving your game, look to make the best decisions possible and in the long term you'll come out ahead.

K

Kingsti95

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am using excel as well. Made some kind of a diary myself.