How do you keep enthusiastic about poker when consistently losing?

J

JR1987

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Once I learnt how to play I measured my progress and bankroll.. playing 1/2c I got up to $38 in profit... But steadily just gone downhill since and now im basically back to where I started.. so almost 20 buy ins down from my peak.

Not sure whats going on.. Cant remember the last day I played and finished up on the session.

How do you keep wanting to play in these times? What keeps you coming back and happy to be playing when you know your probably going to be facing plenty of bad beats and losing your money?

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Once I learnt how to play I measured my progress and bankroll.. playing 1/2c I got up to $38 in profit... But steadily just gone downhill since and now im basically back to where I started.. so almost 20 buy ins down from my peak.

Not sure whats going on.. Cant remember the last day I played and finished up on the session.

How do you keep wanting to play in these times? What keeps you coming back and happy to be playing when you know your probably going to be facing plenty of bad beats and losing your money?

I play because I just love this game. Despite my results, it is first and foremost important for me to make good decisions.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since will you change the place You play to a tournament and work out a new strategy?

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The easiest way to stop worrying about losing is to realize you control your decisions only and not the results.

Focusing on your results is misleading because good plays can lose and bad plays can win.

Losing streaks can be extended by tilt and trying too hard to force a win, so take a break, clear your head and try again with a better mindset.

Learn to make good decisions and in the long-run the results will take care of themselves provided you have a big enough bankroll for the games you are in and you are a winning player.

Good luck! :D

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Losing 20BI in, what is supposedly the softest cash game, could in theory be a bad run, but it does suggest, you might not be a winning player. So maybe see this as a reason to go back and study more, and then see what that does over the next 20.000 hands.

You can also move to tournaments and see, if they might suit you better. Most sites have some very low stake SnGs, where you can start out practicing without risking much.

Regardless what you do, there is no shame in losing, and the nice thing about 2NL is, that even 20BI dont break the bank. You basically lost a cheap pair of jeans, which you will quickly get back, if you eventually become a winning player.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I lose over several sessions due to variance and my game starts to deteriorate. I watch strategic videos to re-motivate myself and help me replay my A game. I speak to my subconscious before the start of a game by repeating the same sentence for several minutes like for example "I am happy" to eliminate from my mind all the negative thoughts that may prevent me from making the right decisions during the game. game. I do my best to focus on the present moment and to forget all the bad beats that came before it.

poker_bro

poker_bro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The easiest way to stop worrying about losing is to realize you control your decisions only and not the results.

Focusing on your results is misleading because good plays can lose and bad plays can win.

Losing streaks can be extended by tilt and trying too hard to force a win, so take a break, clear your head and try again with a better mindset.

Learn to make good decisions and in the long-run the results will take care of themselves provided you have a big enough bankroll for the games you are in and you are a winning player.

Good luck! :D

Perfect answer.

I can recommend watching this video. It changed my entire attitude towards poker, and life generally