How do you Identify Trips?

J

jbear54321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are signs that someone has trips?

What should I have done differently in the following example?

Blinds are 15/30. I get dealt JJ in early position and raise to 120. One person calls and the flop is :3s4::5d4::9h4:. I bet 60 hoping to keep the other player in the hand. They call and the turn is :8s4:. Now I'm a little nervous for a flush or straight draw so I bet half my stack and the other person goes all in. My first thought is that they think I'm bluffing with something like AK. I call and they flip over pocket 5s. The river was no help and I lost.

S

StraightValue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Honestly, I think you played the hand fine. Just got unlucky, it happens

LJG23

LJG23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure what "half your stack" means, but with blinds at 15/30, and a pot of 285 (tournament chips I'm assuming) the turn bet seems way too large. Not to mention I would advocate checking the flop since you are playing out of position on a relatively safe board (normally). I do agree that you are in a tough spot with the board getting wet on the turn you don't want to give a free card.

A half pot bet on the turn and letting him react to that will give you a lot more information on the hand, but still doesn't change your tough spot. If he flats, it should raise flags, and if he raises it should really raise flags. But by betting small on the turn it might not turn into big pot poker and save you some chips in the long run. Not saying you are not going to have to pay this off almost all of the time but by checking the flop and sizing your bet a little smaller on the turn you have more control over the pot size and maybe save your tournament life.

:2d4::3d4:

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The situation you had described indicates a very high probability of opponent having a set, or a possible limped aces.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You never see a set coming, it is rough but that's poker. :)

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to be extremely unhelpful here, but I think I'm better than the average player at just feeling out my villain. I've tested myself across 50k hands (about a week) and I made estimates at both the flop, turn, and river about what my opponents had and tracked how often I was right - which was about 70-85% of the time (that I saw their cards) depending on the type of game. In person, anecdotally I believe this percentage is even higher. Being able to read people is one of the reasons I got into poker in the first place. Sometimes, though, you just play a hand correctly and get unlucky - I'd say it happens maybe 30% of the time.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are signs that someone has trips?

What should I have done differently in the following example?

Blinds are 15/30. I get dealt JJ in early position and raise to 120. One person calls and the flop is :3s4::5d4::9h4:. I bet 60 hoping to keep the other player in the hand. They call and the turn is :8s4:. Now I'm a little nervous for a flush or straight draw so I bet half my stack and the other person goes all in. My first thought is that they think I'm bluffing with something like AK. I call and they flip over pocket 5s. The river was no help and I lost.

school task.
Basics of poker: the early game. If the villain goes all-in, then your hand is a bit (if you dont have a nuts)

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
obviously i love getting trips and on the flip side I dont think u did anything wrong it happens to me alot with trips they are dangerous to come up againt because they are hard to detect unlike a straight or a flush

F

forest_leaves

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time I always give credit to aggression on boards like this if I am not familiar with the player, bluff on boards like this arent that common I think? most of the time people are just value betting Ace high at most

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot of players like to get tricky with a set, they will check call down to the river then push if you're a passive player and will check raise if you're an aggressive player.
Only having a good read on your opponent will help you know if he has a set or not.

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Technically "trips" are when there's two of the same card on the board and a player holds one of them (i.e. board is 27KQ7 and player holds A7, they have trip 7s).

A "set" on the other hand, which is what you are asking about , is when a player holds a pocket pair (i.e. 55) and there is another of their card on the board (i.e. 45KQ7).

So how do you know it's a set? Hard to say, others have said , it's hard and sometimes it's a cooler but generally at microstakes if you're facing aggression esp on the turn , your pair is probably no good. Trips are easier to sniff out because if we see two of same card on the board (board is paired) we can be pretty sure our pair is in danger since a paired board means trips and full houses are very possible.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You showed a tremendous amount of strength on the turn and both could have been afraid of the 67o or 67s. Your opponent decides to react by showing fearlessness and even more strength than you instead of being afraid of 67s combos,67o combos,89o combos etc.....and your response is to assume something that makes the hand too complex and to refuse to let go of a pair of jacks.

You made an aggression mistake by betting something only,Only,ONLY a better hand can call. Then you made a bad justification on a clear warning from your opponent. Terrible bad call because it was so large to your entire stack.

Sets are unusually profitable hands in NLH and they can be sniffed out with rationality/social intelligence in how the hand gets played out.At the micros it is 80% level 1 thinking 10% level 0 and 10% level 2.....things have a limit on how complex they get. He thought that I thought that he thought has no legitimacy.

Best of Luck

W

west28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should of have check! on that flop and let your opponent do the betting or maybe bet a little then you see his move and you base on what he does. if he goes all in, you can think he has a set or two pair then you make your decision to either fold or call!!!

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online you can't "know" someone has a set (unless you've seen more than enough hands to know how they bet with any great hand), but something I always try to do, even if I have top two pair, is stop and ask myself if this person could be playing with a set. Get into the habit of always asking yourself mentally, could this person be playing a set and sometimes you can get away from situations like this. Although I have to agree, half-shoving is a bit excessive with just an overpair.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's always hard to detect when someone hits a set, you went aggressive fearing a straight or a flush (the villain didn't considered you have this kind of hands because of your position and raise pre-flop). You could bet 75% of the total pot you would have agression and obtain more info against what you were facing, so basically the control of bet-size, no need to play hyper aggressive with top Pairs.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I just remember that if people got in cheap, any card on the table can give somebody 3 of a kind and can my hand beat that.

D

duson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your flop bet was too large and that ended your tournament. If you would've bet about half to two thirds pot and he called or reraised then you'd have to start thinking about what they have. It's not easy to put someone on trips but if the board is bland like that then it's always going to be a possibility.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only clue I can give you is when there is a small-ish raise pre-flop, and the check-call on the flop.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You never see a set coming, it is rough but that's poker. :)

Ehhh
Depends what you think your opponent is capable calling with preflop and what his tendencies are when he has very strong hands or likes to trap.

Piecing together the puzzle for finding out sets is usually on flop / turn / river bets

Obv if they jam on a 258 board and you raised Pre w AA, yeh unlucky guessing game if they actually have the set, or Js