How do you handle downswings

A

atyagi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
have been on a downswing off late. how do you guys manage it?

Vlaad

Vlaad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are content with how you played, you just have to accept that there's variance in this game, and for every downswing there will be an upswing. Other than that, take the time to learn more about poker, maybe it's not only due to variance but also your skills and/or your game selection. Don't be to hard on yourself, it's only a game after all :)

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break, manage my bankroll, review my hand history. Sometimes variance isn’t in your favor, so I just wait for better days to come.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
have been on a downswing off late. how do you guys manage it?

I always think it's interesting when people ask this question. Can I ask you a few questions?

- What was your bankroll at the start of your down swing?
- What games are you playing? MTT's, STT's, Cash, Zoom?
- How many buy-ins are you down?

Often low stakes players are not properly bankrolled even at the micro stakes, so just a couple of losing sessions can put a big hole in your bank roll.

Understand that down swings are part of the game. Even when you're a winning player and even when you're playing well.

Give this article a read. Personally, I think Little is more on the conservative side than is necessary, but the theory is sound - https://pokercoaching.com/poker-strategy/the-bankroll-bible/

A

atyagi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always think it's interesting when people ask this question. Can I ask you a few questions?

- What was your bankroll at the start of your down swing?
- What games are you playing? MTT's, STT's, Cash, Zoom?
- How many buy-ins are you down?

Often low stakes players are not properly bankrolled even at the micro stakes, so just a couple of losing sessions can put a big hole in your bank roll.

Understand that down swings are part of the game. Even when you're a winning player and even when you're playing well.

Give this article a read. Personally, I think Little is more on the conservative side than is necessary, but the theory is sound - https://pokercoaching.com/poker-strategy/the-bankroll-bible/

This is a really nice article. Thanks.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
At such moments, most of the time I just play in freerolls, or in micro tournaments. Also a good option is to take a break for a few days.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, what exactly do you mean by "downswing"? Try to play around with this free calculator to get a better idea of poker variance:

Poker Variance Calculator | Primedope

Tournament Variance Calculator | Primedope

Also do you have a significant track record in the games, you are playing? Because if not then maybe you are not seeing a "downswing", but you are just not a winning player in those games. After all its a mathematical fact, that due to rake the majority of players have to lose. Everybody wants to belive, they are among the winners, but that is simply just not the case. And in that case either make a budget and play for fun, try to improve your game or find another game to play. For me personally I gave up Zoom cash games, because I found them very difficult to beat.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most important thing is taking a break and getting that nice, clean reset instead of staying in the mindset of chasing back losses.

Whether it's an hour, a day, a week, or longer, take the time you need away from playing and devote at least some of it to studying instead. When you're ready to get back in, you'll know it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands