How do you deal with the downswing

O

Ortwin1989

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

had some solid winning over the past few weeks, but now the downswing really hit me.

the last couple of cash games at PS I mostly got trash cards or I missed the flop with good starting hands and when I hit something on the flop the other players folded or I got a bad beat.

How do you deal with this kind of situation when you are at the table.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Hello!:ciao:
Understanding that this is a game helps to experience such moments. But as in life, there are no ups without a fall and vice versa. Don't get hung up on failures, but treat them as an experience: analyze and move on. Don't drown in self-confidence when luck is on your side: analyze and improve. It's a multi-faceted game. When you stop being afraid of losing, you will end up winning a lot more.:eek:
Good luck!:icon_thum

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
One thing I've learned over the years playing poker is not to insist when you lose a lot, the more you insist on trying to recover the loss, the more you lose. As I only play freerolls lately, I don't mind losing, as I didn't invest anything after all. Good luck at the tables.:)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

had some solid winning over the past few weeks, but now the downswing really hit me.

the last couple of cash games at PS I mostly got trash cards or I missed the flop with good starting hands and when I hit something on the flop the other players folded or I got a bad beat.

Thank you for posting.

You are describing a typical type of downswing-
Volume is the only way to overcome variance. If you are playing well not adjusting to bad beats you just have to keep playing to get through the downswing. If your game becomes effected you have to lower stakes to preserve bankroll.

Hope this helps
:):)

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in agreement with Eetenor, volume cures variance. With that being said it's also important to make sure you're playing as well as you can and not letting your downswing effect other aspects of your game and have you making decisions you wouldn't make if you were winning.

Poker is a game about self growth, downswings are the most challenging part of that journey (For me at least and many others) It's just something you're going to have to become accustomed to and find the best way of dealing with it for you.

But the good news is a new hand is just a click away and that one can start the upswing.

Hope this helps!

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In any case, I remain calm. I always know that tomorrow will be another day and maybe it will bring me the desired result. The main thing is not to get upset and continue to follow your strategy in a disciplined manner.
Good luck.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I scream, cry, and start swearing! This helps allot.

zoy4749

zoy4749

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
always after takeoff, a fall begins and you cannot understand why you are unlucky. the most important thing is to stop in time and not drain everything that you have won before. pause in the game.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Do not be sad. Periods of decline and growth are a natural process of our lives. So just stop and take a break for a few days and rest.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
i deal very badly with downswings, i just stop playing for days, weeks or even months
i really hate losing.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
The truth is very difficult because one always thinks that the next hand you play will be better but it turns out to be the same or worse, in these cases it is best to take a break so that we can restart with a different mentality and vision and not chase our losses since It can lead us to make wrong decisions.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

all you should think is that this phase will pass soon, my tip is to study more poker strategies and play lower limits than you normally play, or you can take a break from poker for a couple of days and relax longer.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take some time off until the risk of it affecting my play goes away.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In real life we ​​have ups and downs, when we're up, we believe we'll never come back down, and when we're down, we struggle to rise, sometimes I play 8, 9 or 10 tournaments in a day, it can happen to everyone to lose , I stop, I remember that tomorrow may be different, it has already happened in a tournament I only pick up cards without expressions, I stop betting, and I discover that due to lack of courage, I end up losing a good opportunity to win. Good luck

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i am used to the variance off mtts after playing 20k mtts.

For me it helps to not having monetary expectations or goals.

Just playing and enjoying the game. Then the wins will come.

And volume, volume, volume!

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Every downswing is going to End as every as every upswing is going. So being disclipined and being cautious or even taking a break is a good way to get though such a Phase.

PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Keep playing and enjoy the game but stay within 100 buy-in so it won't hurt your bankroll.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never come across what is called a down swing.
What is it in terms of content and how long is it?

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I have an old push-button mobile phone on which i set pictures of naked beautiful girls as a screen saver for good luck. When the downswing begins, i change the picture to the next one. With some of the pictures i have luck in the game for a some time (always different). The last picture i have not changed for a very long time, it gives an upswing ))
But once i changed a lot of pictures before the downswing was over... :D

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I ignore downswing, pretend like it does'nt exist.

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Hi guys,

Everybody knows the feeling of downswing, its a part of the game. Just dont live in past, focus on present and future, its all about mind set. If you go on tilt, everything will crush for you.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello!

In the case of downswing, it's very sad, you often fall into a tilt. So I just stop playing for a while, and try not to think about it.
Good luck everyone!:D

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I watch the game and the other players and I patiently wait for a chance to reverse the situation with a good hand.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just keep playing well and eventually it will end IF the site you play on has an RNG algorithm that's actually random. If you find that improbable occurrences are happening so often that it's more than normal variance, then just move to another site.

And if you find that the bad luck is affecting you mentally, then quit until you mentally reset. Don't play when you are mentally out of it.

S

ScottyDee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take some time off and live to fight another day!