How do you deal with aggression in poker?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you play live or online in case of failure you get negative emotions. Some people just need a few bad hands within an hour. What do you do to prevent aggression at the poker table from affecting your life?:ridinghor

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you feel overwhelmed with negative emotions the best way is to take a short break. While doing so i found it useful to think about things that got you off the tracks and all that in favor of improving your mindset for the game. We all been there and still are from time to time, but at the point when a hobby and i’m not talking only about poker, starts to affect your life is the time when alarms go of

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I play live poker less often if I see it having a detrimental effect on my life. Can always return in a month or two when emotions are not running so high.

J

Jack Reacher

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i understand this correct you are asking what to do with your aggression on the table?Just surrender,eat them all up and earn some money.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you feel overwhelmed with negative emotions the best way is to take a short break. While doing so i found it useful to think about things that got you off the tracks and all that in favor of improving your mindset for the game. We all been there and still are from time to time, but at the point when a hobby and i’m not talking only about poker, starts to affect your life is the time when alarms go of

I agree with this. Also, if you feel uncomfortable and you're playing cash, try moving to a different table.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If i understand this correct you are asking what to do with your aggression on the table?Just surrender,eat them all up and earn some money.
I meant that failure at the poker table leads to aggression in everyday life. If you deal with emotions during a bad game, they can break out at a bad time in your life.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way I deal with it is to take a break, or if I want to keep playing I play on lower stakes

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I meant that failure at the poker table leads to aggression in everyday life. If you deal with emotions during a bad game, they can break out at a bad time in your life.

You really have to separate poker life from real everyday home life.

Just like when you leave work - it is best to leave work problems at work and not take them home with you emotionally.

Otherwise you will kick the dog and get into physical fights with people.

Remember - just because your AA got cracked 3 times in one day - that is not your wife/girlfriend/family member/friend's fault! And, usually they don't even know what you are talking about - even if you told them about your AA stories.

Good luck !

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It's good advise - to get break. But easier said than done, you need to accustom yourself to this...

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Warn family members then you had bad beat.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We think more about the losses than the victories. We simulate the situation in our head, playing it like an old record. I don't see the point in telling people around me what an 80-90% chance of winning on the turn and losing. I keep failures in my head, but they spill out in stressful situations.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Prolly need to develop some better coping skills for dealing with anger. People think anger management is just for crazy people, but it's really just learning how to better regulate your emotions.

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

Vallet hello how are you? I use headphones for that reason, I think it's better to be away from the discussions and thus play in peace

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Dealing with heavy aggression at the table?

Normally I stand up, calmly walk around the table and then punch the lights out of the villain. Well, that's what I do in the fantasy version.

What I actually do is disengage. There's a lot of talk about being patient, waiting for a strong hand then doing battle. But, it had better be super premium. Experience will teach you it's a two card fifty-fifty proposition. They are going to bet big pre-flop, on the flop, the turn and river. Yes, they might have rags, still make a hand and your left thinking why did I toss a coin with a moron who does not care if he loses.

So as others have said, change table (if possible), or sit out and exercise some patience. After all this is something you are going to have to learn to deal with as aggression is a tool used by many.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In tournaments, I usually just continue to play as if nothing had happened. You can’t always only win. If I lose the cache stack I take a break.

Branimir84

Branimir84

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
If bad days at poker are spilling into the rest of your life,...I mean when you notice that you are going off the rails needlessly in everyday situations because of frustrations from poker-- deescalate your self.

Key is to recognize it is happening and then trying to calm yourself. Exercise might help. Going to the gym just burning energy, its healthy and can be therapeutic.

25thinfantryman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sit back and go have a ciggerete before i make a stupid bet and then ill really be upset.. its allways ok to step away for a mooment