L

legend309

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
What's a good MTT strategy? Or is it all just luck? I am decent at single table sit n go's, so I can't wait to hit a final table. But kitting to that final table just never happens.

zamana80

zamana80

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is very hard to get final table without being risky.
I remember that i luckily get second place with 2000+ players once.
I used to win like 80% of all ins.
Not just luck but a streak of lucks :)

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not "ALL" luck.
But no one can win a tournament not being lucky at some point. Even if you have AA everyhand you need a large amount of lucky to win ALL the hand u go all-in with
In the SNG era the top SNG grinder was ITM around 40-42%
Imagine the odd you need to beat an entire field of player.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
practice practice practice and learning learning learning. There is no shortcut. You have to know what kind of range open from different positions, you have to learn how to play on shortstack, what to 3bet, what to reshove. Work with programms like HRC, ICMzer or GTO Wizard. There is a lot of stuff to do and to learn.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont "consistently" win in MTTs. In a field of 900 players, only 1 out of 100 will make it to the final table. If you are an above average player, maybe you make the final table 1 out of 80 times, but this still mean, you dont make the final table the vast majority of the time. So MTTs are always long periods of small losses interrupted by an occational big win. The bigger fields, you play in, the more pronounced this will be. If you dont have the patience to wait for the occational deep run, then you know the solution already, and its called SnGs. Or small field MTTs like those with no more than 100-200 players.

T

Tato Ivan

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The more players in the tournament, the sweeter the victory.

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
As they said in the comments, which coincided with everyone, no matter how much you had AA in every hand, a drop of luck you will always need anywhere in the tournament!
If someone can give some tips, everything is welcome!

dog841

dog841

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Consistent is hard to say that, but playing tight, I cash once in a while.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
What's a good MTT strategy? Or is it all just luck? I am decent at single table sit n go's, so I can't wait to hit a final table. But kitting to that final table just never happens.
a large percentage will be decided by luck so hope for luck and maybe she will be on your side

L

legend309

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
a large percentage will be decided by luck so hope for luck and maybe she will be on

practice practice practice and learning learning learning. There is no shortcut. You have to know what kind of range open from different positions, you have to learn how to play on shortstack, what to 3bet, what to reshove. Work with programms like HRC, ICMzer or GTO Wizard. There is a lot of stuff to do and to learn.
Thanks for the reply

L

legend309

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You dont "consistently" win in MTTs. In a field of 900 players, only 1 out of 100 will make it to the final table. If you are an above average player, maybe you make the final table 1 out of 80 times, but this still mean, you dont make the final table the vast majority of the time. So MTTs are always long periods of small losses interrupted by an occational big win. The bigger fields, you play in, the more pronounced this will be. If you dont have the patience to wait for the occational deep run, then you know the solution already, and its called SnGs. Or small field MTTs like those with no more than 100-200 players.
Thanks for the reply. We'll I guess I gotta just grind it out more

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fast games are sometimes gambling. But ofc there's always a winning strategy

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if you lose early in the MTT, be prepared in advance so that it will be food for tomorrow.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There's a ton of variance in MTTs because you keep running gauntlets, hand after hand you play. Especially so in freeze outs.

As fundiver said, it's just not mathematically possible to consistently win large field tourneys outright so instead it becomes a matter of improving your ITM% and maximising your ROI by making the best of FT's when you do reach them with careful and considered ICM decisions.

Asking how to win tournaments is similar to asking how to win any other format...

The best thing to do is to focus on specific strategies for that particular type of poker and practice. ;)

Tournaments are awesome.

Friends frequently try to talk me into playing SNGs, cash or other formats and although I will start playing more SNGs at some stage soon and pretty much any poker is better than no poker, it's just...

MTT4lyfe! :cool:

Andyreas

Andyreas

Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
by making the best of FT's when you do reach them with careful and considered ICM decisions
That's definitely an important part of it. The pay jumps are quite significant, especially at large MTTs, so one place up or down is quite relevant.

I also need to improve my game here because I can get tired easily when it's getting late, you've been playing for like 3 or more hours and no one seems to be keen on busting. 😂

The chips just get shipped back and forth. But patience is key to FT game, I figured. Wait for your cards and use them wisely. 🤓

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started playing poker with a sit-go, no tournaments, I played hedzap well, the practice was great, and having a lot of experience playing, I begin to study the strategy of playing tournaments as a newbie, downloaded a book and try to read it as I have free time, you probably do not have a game at the initial stage of the tournament,

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages of MTT, I play loose, in the later stages more tight.