How do you adjust your game when playing with amateurs?

cazual88

cazual88

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played with my friends several times in sit-n-go. I did not change anything in my game. And always stayed up to heads-up. And in HU almost all depends on luck.

fialhosm

fialhosm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything has its variations. It depends on the value of the bets, how many entries each player can make during the game, whether it is cash game or tournament. Etc. I usually play in the same way, regardless of the player in question, but there are players who are easier to read than others. Some bluff more than others, etc. So this question you are referring to is very particular.

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kinda chuckled at first based on my experience but then I thought...there are many levels to this question

the first is what is a pro and wat is an amateur
I guess the main differentiators are
experience
attitude
understanding of what they do and why they do it

( taking of course playing for a living out of the equation for a sec)

because of the combination of the above its hard to cast yourself as a pro or an amateur I believe people rise o levels of competency in poker based on experimenting with various styles

like people who start tight may branch of into loose aggressive play and vice versa

so to answer would I change my style, probably not but it would depend on what we were playing for...…..

L

LotharMcDowner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another thing is amateur tells are usually subconscious, therefor honest. Caro's book of tells is a must read. A lot of it is very generalized and it's not a magic solution or anything, but it gives you a foundation of what to look for and how to interpret. Amateur live players usually exhibit many of them :)

Top 10 Games