How do to fold more often

SlyVII

SlyVII

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How does one know when to fold or when they are beat? Is this based on reading off the player or board? I feel like I dont fold as often as I should and I get into more losses as I call/raise at the wrong moment.

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes its premonition, but in a greater extent its still a reading of players

fur90

fur90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold offten, when my fold is bad decision i tell myself its lucky but in future they will be good for me $
10/1

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I follow a very simple logic. I am just trying to play with strong cards. In my opinion, it is better to make a fold than to take unjustified risks.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fold a hand depends on everything, information, position, board, number of players at the table if it is cash, stage of the tournament and most importantly the hand you have at the moment you have to make the decision, it is not a science and It is perhaps the most basic of poker, just bet or call when you're pretty sure you can win the hand, that's all

uros1991

uros1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can check your status by oppomemts bets preflop,after,track his behavior and get information does he have stronger hand than you .. But in online poker it's hard to guess and you are more likely to pay 80 % of strong hands :D Like i do .. And keep loosing over and over ...

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all starts with being selective pre-flop. You typically are the most restrictive in early position and then your range widens as you get later position. So much of what you decide depends on how well you hit the flop, the texture of the flop, what you think opponents could have based on their pre-flop actions (each action on each street can help you narrow their range) and your position (probably the most underestimated factor for new players).

It’s important to play aggressively (where most decisions pre-flop is between raising and folding, and to basically only call a raise if you are in position or if you’ve been re-raised) — calling indicates the most weakness in terms of your play.

I’ve read somewhere that when you get advanced, you are essentially playing range vs range (what you think villain could have vs what villain thinks you could have) and you make your decision to fold based on whether you think opponents range is stronger than yours based on the flop.

Personally, I fold more than I think I should so I don’t get into too much trouble. I like to maintain aggression when I am involved in a pot so that I can win the pot by either generating folds or by a strong showdown. I’m currently working on timing the use of my calls to increase deception in my hands (i would estimate >90% of my decisions are to either raise or fold).

Hope this helps.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call if you can't find an informed decision to Fold. But it is better to Fold than a bad Call:captain:

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
live tournaments you can read the player, but online i try to read the players betting pattern. many times i call a bet i say to my self, you shouldn't call but i do, and the result? he has me beat. even if you fold to a worst hand you have to weight what that bet can do to your stack, pot odds etc.....

A

aasdehaas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many years ago i entered a live tourny, i think it was about 15 tables 8 max. my position was somewhere before the button and i got dealth pocket rockets in the first hand of the event. first guy raises big. after that 3 players shove. i folded. would i have called i would have lost that hand and would have been first out. I continued the event to reach the final table, im heads up but i see my friends play cashgame and they keep tellin me to hurry up. i was ahead but i stopped caring and just went all in every hand, eventually i lost and went to play cash games with buddies.

morale of the story, dont put ur tourny life at stake unless ur absolutely down on chips. folding the best hand preflop and seeing you would have get crushed if u played is a way better feeling than winning with the best hand preflop

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yah Great Advice. It is so hard to do. I Tell people all the time that you play for hours in these Tournaments. So fir you to put your six hour tournament on tfe line in one hand not Good Strategy. Good Luck At The Tables.

C

cata2012004

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you have to know the rules and a bit of math.. like7 beats 6's :))

Hope that helps

Folding in Poker