Not pay them.

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You need to call $8 to win $21.

You need to call $8 to win $11. You can't count your own money. If you do happens like this: UTG shoves 300, Big blind needs to call 298 to win 601, 1:2 -> 33% enough for 22 to call top 4.8% of hands { 99+,AJs+,KQs,AKo}

Last edited:
steve101651

steve101651

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have beaten sets with straights, or boats. Only then did I realize how weak sets stand up on co-ordinated boards.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. raise PRF. It's best way to defend good hand.
2. learn how the bords is affacted by different cards. if you hit top par raise and get a reriase/3bet - re-evaluate you hand. how often does a reriase happen here.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best defense on preventing beats by sets is to observe the board, does the board pair and against loose players instead trying to bet to protect, check and invest as little as possible until all possibilities show that you think you have the best hand.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In two words? Bankroll management

Seriously, it's for situations like running into sets that we need to practice good bankroll management: because sometimes you can play a hand exactly right and still lose.

Obviously you need to play every hand on its merits - but you can't go around living in fear of sets on every single hand. If you do, you'll be giving up a heap of value on other hands where villain doesn't have a set and you've kept the pot small when you should have been value betting them to death. That alone will probably cost you more than you'd save by keeping the pot small the time you actually do run into a set.

steve101651

steve101651

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sets can be cracked on say paired boards, Say your holding 88, and the flop comes Q, 8, J, but your opponent has something stupid like Q8- and the turn cones Q, and he shoves, you call, and the only thing to save you now is an 8. Lots of pain on a paired board. Just be aware of your opponents starting hand range, bluff tendencies, etc. Good luck... remember sets are crackable, but tbey can be powerful.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its hard to know if someone have a set but if you have good read about your opponent that hold set then make sure you have flush or straight..

ThinkDiffrent

ThinkDiffrent

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just make sure you have 4of a kind

Tulipaneiro

Tulipaneiro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Build a wall of chips and protect your bluff behind the chips wall xD

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sets can be cracked on say paired boards, Say your holding 88, and the flop comes Q, 8, J, but your opponent has something stupid like Q8- and the turn cones Q, and he shoves, you call, and the only thing to save you now is an 8. Lots of pain on a paired board. Just be aware of your opponents starting hand range, bluff tendencies, etc. Good luck... remember sets are crackable, but tbey can be powerful.

Erm... if you've got 88, villain has Q8 and the board is Q8J then there are no more eights in the deck.

That said, on the flop you've got villain dead to two outs and if you somehow knew that's what he has you should be loving life.

But that's not a paired board - that's an opponent who has two pair. With bottom set on that actual board, I'd be a little more concerned about draws than an opponent with two pair.

D

dirky

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
believe me in pokerstars sets are so common you will lose a lot... I can't believe in one table one player got 6 sets and i lose 3 times to that player. The other players also lost a lot of money. Pokerstars is doing that all the time

dobatibata

dobatibata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course there is no defense but: In the most of situations u will have QT and flop is QT4 there is 1/10 chance him to have set 444 . But try not to play wild or call wild beta whatever you have. Better to fold stronger hand and set your mind that u did right move then to set mind ur god and bust over 444 for example

Milosika1991

Milosika1991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think there is defense from the set, the most important thing is to feel that the opponent is just getting stronger and watching as few chips as possible to lose if you do not want to give up the hook with a strong kicker ...: D

BuzzKillington

BuzzKillington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
believe me in pokerstars sets are so common you will lose a lot... I can't believe in one table one player got 6 sets and i lose 3 times to that player. The other players also lost a lot of money. Pokerstars is doing that all the time
Do you have proof?

Anyway, the only hands that a set beats are high cards, pairs and two pairs. You shouldn't overplay most pairs, and if you have QQ+ you should build up towards a shove (by 3-betting and shoving vs a 4-bet), so that most small and medium pocket pairs will fold. Two pairs are more difficult, especially if you have a pair of aces and some other pair. In those cases, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The probability of a set is very low, so any set that beats you can be treated as a bad beat.

Last edited:
K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to defend against a set is not to overplay your hand.

You need to control the pot and really take a look at your hand. If you took a look at the board and thought what has me beat, most of the time there is a LONG list of possible hands that have you crushed. A lot of people just don't want to admit that there could be 15 other hands that have you crushed and continue to put all their chips in the middle with top pair or an overpair.

Poker isn't won on 1 hand but could be lost on 1 hand.

Anatoliy73

Anatoliy73

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But for some reason it happens very often, but I tried to play more chips.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I keep it cheap. I understand first off, every flop can have a set. No use doing an all in if u do not have the nuts. Just do a small raise to give away crumbs, and raise big when nuts appear.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have a 2 pair or an overpair and raise after the flop and get reraised alarm bells do start to ring if it's a solid player I'm against. If there are no flushes or straights, 3 of a kind is a strong possibility. It's really hard to see and you don't want too have to fold what might be the best hand. Just try to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. If you can't it's a tough call, but I try and remind myself 2 pair is a really good but not great hand. Do you want to risk everything on 2 pair?

chisel

chisel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i thint that against this defense isn't. U only can hope that u will not have this situation in future