How to deal with mega donks?

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often hitting a pair on a flop and I do all in so donks cannot draw, for example but it ends up with a call and I finish tounament with a good hand. Playing tight and passively - I must add.
No idea how to deal with it because there are so many donks on a table and in a tournament that it is nearly impossible to avoid it.
Any ideas???

B

bigpappa325

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very often hitting a pair on a flop and I do all in so donks cannot draw, for example but it ends up with a call and I finish tounament with a good hand. Playing tight and passively - I must add.
No idea how to deal with it because there are so many donks on a table and in a tournament that it is nearly impossible to avoid it.
Any ideas???
Is this a oxymoron? Donks shove all in on pairs that are not premium pairs. Donks push all in with board showing straight and flush possibilities.

A

AmaZeus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this a oxymoron? Donks shove all in on pairs that are not premium pairs. Donks push all in with board showing straight and flush possibilities.
Maybe not donks...Im not very familliar with these terms.

W

williamsc99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well friend if you consider yourself better than these donks that you claim to appear on your table, you shouldn't be worried as it is obvious that if you are so much better they will find a way to beat them isn't it? So unless you can't pinpoint where they are donkeys and how to exploit what you call flaws, I don't think you should be that worried.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
You want people to draw - just bet enough that they don't get odds. And don't pay them off then they hit.

Unless you are up against calling stations that call every bet with every draw (and hand) there is no reason to over-bet just because you want to protect your hand.

A bet between half pot (dry boards) and full pot (very wet board) is almost never wrong.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any ideas???
Not sure that a pair on the flop is enough to go all in. In my opinion is better to never do it than to do it very often.

C

charliej

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let the donks knock each other out then clean up the leftovers. That is unless of course you are near the money bubble and/or short stacked.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any ideas???

could you give an more detailed example?
with stack sizes, Position, stage, stacks, blinds, …..

do you shove 30bb+? or do you have less than 10bb?

as Long as you get it in as a favourite, it should be fine

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By the original post it sounds like maybe you are playing frustrated poker. You WANT loose players and "donk" players at your table - it's never fun when they hit their draw or they suckout, but the fact they are dumping money everytime when they have the worst end of it - that's a gold mine! I want them to chase their flush draws- they will only hit them 1/3 runs, the other 2/3s of the time they are dumping money to me because when they miss its over.

In other spots they will flop a hand too strong to fold. Say you had AKo and the flop came::

As 7h 8h

Well 9-10 of hearts is never folding this flop....so you shove in with your AK because you dont want draws to get there - in reality this is very close to a 55/45 spot and even though you flopped top-top- your opponents draw actually has more equity than your made hand at the moment. This is bad for you and 9T has a lot of equity and if their stack can afford a flip here, tons of players are going to go for it.

I think your game needs reevaluated. You are focusing way too much on trying to push out bad players, putting yourself at risk way too much - and instead what you should be doing is concentrating on implementing solid game play, playing out hands correctly and developing your own strategy.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you must try to avoid playing against these opponents who likes to do mega donks. you must be patient and only pay for this type of bet when you have max play.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will never be able to control other players,so concentrate on what you can control,,,you.:)

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any ideas???
Passive is allowing draws and good prices for the donk
3 bet more often and always raise the flop when you hit, no passive free draws, make em pay

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think there is some issue with expectations here. Who run deep in a particular tournament is really mostly determined by luck. Skill edges do exist for sure, but they express themselfes over samples of 100`s of tournaments, not in the single individual tournament. Even if you are the best player in the entire tournament, chances are, you will not even cash, and this is completely normal and expected.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too many things to tell you. Two words to describe them. All In!!!

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When we are losing to donks, we are worse.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your stack is good and this allows why not make an increased raise. So you check your opponent for a card or throw him off the table. So you have something left from the stack for further play.

ch1r4q

ch1r4q

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should be a bit less agressive when you hit the flop, calculate possible outcomes, maybe it's not worth going all-in. Take your time to make the call, maybe it was just a bad luck, but make sure that you made the right decision, analyze ur hands afterwards.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome them with open arms, invite them into your home and offer them a trip around value town ;)

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does their donk make sense? That's the question I ask.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you raise with a good card before the flop and you are called later raise the raise so that the opponent, if he enters the game with a small card, wonders if he should go further and lose chips. Maybe you have a big pair of cards ready.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe try betting larger than normal for value, not shove, larger than normal. That way you can try to maximize your value, if you are going to get drawn out on you are going to get drawn out on, but you should try to maximize how much you win.

jadaminato

jadaminato

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It remains only to wait for good hands and be lucky. I know what you mean, it seems that no matter how much you bet they will always go all-in. But you should see the positive side, your premium hands will make you win many chips

A

aasdehaas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO, it is kind of donk to go all on the flop with just top pair. Also why go all in so much. i rarely go all in and i still go more all in then i should which in my eyes have been negative to me(like being able to cash better)

unless u flop the nut something there really is no reason to go all in or call all in. When using the all in power move u should atleast consider a few factors like compared chipstack, eventual possible draws, does the villain call alot with wider range of hands, you can name alot of things to look at before making a tourny/table life choice. Its ok to fold or just bet normally. maybe check and hope to improve ur hand more while ur opponent is drawing dead, or get out and have some chips for the next hand u feel comfortable playing with.

these ideas are the first you should master when playin/learning poker because it will keep you in the game the longest you can.

You dont have to win your first 100 mtt's or ever for that matter but making the money after a certain amount of time played and progessing in the payout chart as you play more and more is very vital. Especially if u want to keep playing poker and not lose to much money while youre learning. you wont win em all, you wont cash in all but not doing so because of mistakes you made yourself is the first thing you need to realise.

At the end of the day, you the one that got busted or lost many chips because u made a move and got countered while u didnt have to make that move. There is no reason to blame anothers one play on ur losses because you make each choice urself and nobody picks whats drops on the board