How to deal with bad beat?

G

Guilhermeh088

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mental preparation is essential in a poker game, you need to shield yourself and not lose focus, you need to understand the dynamics of the game being that the ideal is to keep your game pattern and that it is normal to lose even with the best hand.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I take everything very normal, the difficult thing is when they occur in a very short period of time in a matter of minutes but the rest does not cause me anything, even if it is a very advanced tournament or in cash a great lost hand my mind is prepared for anything:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Every aspect of poker is important. Including psychology. Being tolerant of bad beats is the foundation for further development in the psychology of poker.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Learning to control your emotions at the table is not easy but a very valuable tool. Just look at how many time your see someone get a bad beat and then do something crazy right afterwords. Not controlling your emotions leads to tilt and loosing your chips.

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, it helps, when I remind myself, that I won against somebody with a bad beat too, last time. So I try to tell myself, that it's part of the game. After some time this mindset worked out for me.
But it's normal that you can't deal with it every time.

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I also think, like most here, that you need to control your emotions, this is one of the most important skills that you definitely need to train in poker! You must always be cool, otherwise you can lose a lot of chips or your bankroll! I wish everyone only victories and good luck at the tables!

AlexStar1981

AlexStar1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a streak of failures and moves, then perhaps the best thing to do is to pause the game. At least a few days. Analyze the situation. Parse recent games. In general, you need to get distracted, relax and in a few days with renewed vigor to new victories))) Good luck in the game.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
simple , just get over it your turn will come :) and don't forget it is just a game :)

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I confess that I have difficulties in keeping focused on bad days, but I know I have to improve!

B

bsamra

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a habit of going on tilt. But now I don’t play in games that are out of my limit and that helped.

But if I play in games out of my limit I still go on tilt.

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I usually stop there and come back another day haha

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

accept that sometimes you don't always win with the best hand !!! it's part of the game ..

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Mental preparation is essential in a poker game, you need to shield yourself and not lose focus, you need to understand the dynamics of the game being that the ideal is to keep your game pattern and that it is normal to lose even with the best hand.

Nah best "therapy" to deal with bad beat etc is turning into Rage Monster - works every time :cool:

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can only tell you what worked for me. Volume. By playing more and more I started caring less and less about bad beats. It happens every day, several times a day in all kinds of situations. When I played 1 tournament a week and a couple hours of zoom every now and then, I was fuming at every bad beat. Blaming bots and rigged sites and online algorithms Now I play all types of poker (holdem, omaha, stud, razz, badugi etc) for 8-10 hours a day. Low buy-ins, freerolls, sng's, rush, only 2-3 tables at a time and I get plenty of bad beats. But it doesn't affect my focus because I accept it. I only go on tilt if I lose focus and get a bad beat because I didn't think it through and it was an obvious mistake. But I get over it and try to not do it again or at least do it less often. Of course, sometimes I think what the f.. was in my mind to call/shove/fold in that spot. But with time I lowered the frequency of these situations by analysing my play constatntly.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
stop looking at "bad beats" as "bad beats". it most situations, they're not even that bad to begin with.

and the ones that might be considered bad, like someone hitting a 1-3 outer on the river, while unfortunate, aren't even that bad either. just laugh off the absurdity of someone actually hitting a 1 outer on you and move on.

Nochaser

Nochaser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I always get up from the table and go take a breather after a bad beat. If I don't it will cause me to tilt something terrible.

magister1

magister1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I laugh it off unless I'm on my last bullet or I'm taking a big shot. Then I cry and hope I saved $7 in my pocket to buy myself a Wendy's spicy chicken on the way home.

It's all you can do really though. Getting upset about it is good because it means you care about the game and the stakes. But if you can't let it go by the time the next hand is dealt, well, get up and walk around. Those used to be good times to take a smoke break or go blow some money at blackjack too.

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to take it normally if it happens over and over again and you run out of bankroll.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I can think of two ways, I tried them both and they both work a treat, although, one is 100% more costly than the other.

One way is to distract yourself from it. I know some are not even worth trying to get over. 1 month later I’m still swearing and cursing at it. Straight flush over flopping quads? Get over that one if you can. But with most others, just blame luck on that moment and remind yourself you’ll be at the other end of the gun next time and you may get many other people to have to deal with their bad beats generated by you. Then do something else fun. Kiss your wife, tell your parents how much you actually love them because they’re the best and closest friends you’ll never have again and that now you’ve finally realised what sort of a pirck you’ve been to them all your life and mentioned they deserved to be treated a lot better and from now on they will. Doesn’t matter what you think or whether they are or not. You’ve done something good. Be proud. Or just do something good to someone. Help some people out. Be more human than everyone around you. Uplift your spirit and self belief. Good will always come to good people. At some point.

Another effective way is to take the mouse, smash it into the keyboard until they become one unit. Take that brand new unit and integrate it right into your LCD display. Now take this all in one device you’ve just created and gently but forcefully (only if you forgot to open the fridge door beforehand) aim it at the fridge. If it all worked to plan, now you’ve given a lesson or a correction and you let it cool off its nerves. Make sure you mention to it that if it ever shows you the wrong board repetitively in a short period of time, you might have to repeat the correction. Don’t be materialistic. Be tough!

Jokes aside, please, please, please, no matter how angry, upset or whatever you get DO NOT HURT other human beings or living things around you. They’ve done nothing to deserve your reactions based on your lack of ability to control yourself or play poker.

All the best! Peace and Love!

Last edited:
R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beats always appear in a dimly understood state.
In my case.

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
dont think about it, dont feel it, be happy :) if you got a more a bad beats youre a better poker player mate ;)