How to deal with aggressive players

N

nikospov1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive players can be annoying. I know when a flop hits 3 7 9 and the initial raiser bets heavy, that they most likely missed but have a high card. Even if I make bottom pair, can calling be effective at steering them off when the turn misses for them?

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think against aggressive players, you can only achieve results with aggression. If you are passive, you will be in a position against them that is favorable to them. Let’s say passive play has long been proven to be ineffective in almost any situation.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree, they can be super annoying, but you should also learn how to play aggressively so that you can counter balance their game. If they are loose aggressive, what works for me is being very patient and waiting until I get a good hand to crush them.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not to play or All-in preflop is my way, but u need to have enough bankroll. :rolleyes:

arenaci

arenaci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are many types of aggressive players. Tight aggressive players, Loose aggressive players and aggressive fish. You must first determine which type of player the aggressor is. If it is aggressive fish then the best strategy for you is to be patient and wait for a good hand or try to flop a set. Aggressive fish: Typically have a high VPIP (Percantage of hands played) and high preflop raise perentage and are usually insanely aggressive postflop. Its not uncommon to see a 77/55 (Plays 77% of hands preflop and raises 55% of them).He will do the betting for you and you will eventually stack him off. The most frustrating thing is though being card dead against aggresive fish.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggressive players can be annoying. I know when a flop hits 3 7 9 and the initial raiser bets heavy, that they most likely missed but have a high card. Even if I make bottom pair, can calling be effective at steering them off when the turn misses for them?

Be patient. When you hit.. slow play.. trap em and stack em. :icon_thum

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dealing with aggression

Fight aggression with aggression. You miss they miss you shove you win. If you're up against players with no range then shove your prenium hands preflop.

T

the_bridge222

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just be patient. Good luck!

jfmcd86

jfmcd86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When playing against aggressive players I play aggressive too, flopping 3 7 9 and having bottom pair could be the best hand, I see this quite often, many AKs/AKo, AQ, KQ, Q10, and so on....so just be aggressive too

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A couple of adjustments you can make to combat aggressive players

#1 Slowplay more hands (especially your monsters)

Aggressive players love to bet when you show weakness, and they often bet BIG. By slowplaying your monsters and playing them the same as your 'give ups' you can extract a ton of value from the aggressive players bluffs. Just don't be afraid to slowplay all the way to the end, that's where the biggest bluff money is made!

#2 Turn your marginal hands with blockers into bluffs

It's exactly what you said. When you have a pair on the board that greatly decreases the chances your opponent has a set. They may often go for thin value with a top pair or be wild with their bluffs and when you raise them back it will be quite hard for them to call.

Since they are betting too often, they will have to fold to counter aggression, and any blocker you have that will decrease the % of the time you get called is a great candidate to do it with.

Just know that your entering high variance territory when you take this approach and that sometimes aggressive players wake up with strong hands too! It won't work everytime, but if you're being selective and raising mostly in spots where your opponent is going to be double/triple barreling a lot as a bluff you'll likely see them folding to your re-bluff more often than is required to breakeven.

Here's a great example of Charlie Carrel making such a play at the highest stakes out there!

Thanks for posting a great question!

alexand8r

alexand8r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you can always change the table or fold more hands to learn more about your opponent. Once you understand your opponent's style, traits and hand chart, it will be easier for you to understand what to expect from him. Sometimes I wait 30-60 hands to do a very tricky slowplay once, when these fools will give me the whole pot. This is a bit of my revenge for turning the game into bingo with their preflop aggression and tough play.

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I used to hate playing against them, now I wait my turn and try to beat them and get some chips.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a pretty common nightmare for an aggro player. Passive player...

N

No Bologna

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No Bologna

just sit back and be the smarter player!
You have to retire like myself, then you can devote all the time you want to poker. Play smart, build your bankroll. Take breaks. You don't want to burnout.

D

Deeznutzzzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play great hands, trap, and stay away from the bluff is a pretty good way to ride the aggression wave.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sit back and be patient and wait for your spots. Try to play hands in position with them if they are not directly to your left. Eventually you will get a great hand and be able to stack off them.

W

wilberth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against an aggressive player he must be played for value, that is, with strong hands. Then most of the time it will be won, although it usually takes time for the right cards to arrive. To avoid expecting strong hands, you can play medium pairs, low pairs, or suited connectors and expect to flop a strong game like a set, straight, or flush.

Einer777

Einer777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play strong hands and if it is manic you will have to play with the variance when you connect something

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I choose a check-call line sometimes against aggressive players. The opponent makes a bet for me and does not get any information about my hand. You don't need to worry about your hand. Keep track of the size of bets and possible straight-draws or flash-draws on the board

byron42

byron42

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best approach I have is not giving in and committing to my proflop hands that are in range and not backing down. Whether this means shoving high PP in position when down on chips, or limping with winners, value betting, or a bluff value bet if you get the opportunity. Most times if you can wait for your spot with good pocket cards, you can at least have a shot against them. If you can take down one hand, imo your odds of winning more improve from there.

The worst thing I feel like I do against this type of player is call a decent raise and then start trying to catch a hand. If I know I don't have an excellent chance on a flop, I won't chase!

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play the card, make positive decisions, have patience.