How to calculate equity?

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all,

I searched online and skimmed through 5-10 posts and still couldn't find a straight answer for how to calculate hand equity in poker. They all mostly just mentioned the 2 and 4 rule. I get that, but I'm wondering what is the calculation for equity.

I am assuming it is: (number of outs)/(remaining cards)? But my question is: what is the number for remaining cards? Logically I would think that it is 52-3-2 = 47...but I'm seeing everywhere the number 45. Where do the other two come from? Isn't it "seen cards"? Or idk I'm confused.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thank you!
Mark

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Hi Mdf1992,

The number of remaining cards:

Before flop 50 cards are unknown to you
When flop is on the table 47 cards are unknown to you
After turn card 46 cards are unknown to you
After river there are still 45 cards that are unknown to you

But the number of cards that can help you to improve your hand is not fixed!

For example - when flop is visible:
You have two hearts in your hand and the flop brings two more hearts on the table. So 5 cards out of 52 are now known to you. How many cards are there that can improve your hand to flush - nine - that is the important number.

If you would hold in your hand, let's say A and 5 of hearts, the flop comes with 2 and 4 of hearts and a king of spades. How many outs you have now? Twelve. Nine hearts to improve your flush draw and 3 threes (spade, club and a diamond) to help you to make a straight.

May I suggest that you watch these two episodes from CC's own poker course, and if your question still remains, then elaborate your question a bit more?

https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/day-4/

https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/day-5/

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Mdf1992,

The number of remaining cards:

Before flop 50 cards are unknown to you
When flop is on the table 47 cards are unknown to you
After turn card 46 cards are unknown to you
After river there are still 45 cards that are unknown to you

But the number of cards that can help you to improve your hand is not fixed!

For example - when flop is visible:
You have two hearts in your hand and the flop brings two more hearts on the table. So 5 cards out of 52 are now known to you. How many cards are there that can improve your hand to flush - nine - that is the important number.

If you would hold in your hand, let's say A and 5 of hearts, the flop comes with 2 and 4 of hearts and a king of spades. How many outs you have now? Twelve. Nine hearts to improve your flush draw and 3 threes (spade, club and a diamond) to help you to make a straight.

May I suggest that you watch these two episodes from CC's own poker course, and if your question still remains, then elaborate your question a bit more?

https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/day-4/

https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/day-5/

Thank you so much :D

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To figure out how to calculate equity in poker, you should study the existing approaches in detail:
miscalculation of all possible situations;
Monte Carlo Technique;
method of calculating the odds of winning.
Each situation lends itself to detailed analysis. This implies a method of calculating all possible outcomes. To perform the calculation, it is assumed that the proportion is drawn: the won outcomes to their total number.
The Monte Carlo method is used in cases where there are a large number of players at the table and the calculation of all possible scenarios will entail a lot of time. Based on this, only a certain sample is made. They are taken as the basis for calculating equity. The error resulting from the calculation is not critical.
The method of calculating the chances of winning is used in a situation when it is necessary to perform it in the mind. This method calculates the poker odds of the weakest hand in order to strengthen it. This technique is not famous for its accuracy. Its advantage is the ability to quickly calculate. The obvious situation will be when ace-jack and 2 queens go all-in preflop, which means that the first combination has only 3 outs in poker to win. Straight poker, flushes, repetitions of jacks can be omitted because the probability of such a result is very small. Then the player can only calculate how high the probability of getting an ace is. The result will be as close as possible to the outcome, but, as a rule, in most situations that develop during the game, complete accuracy is not required.
As you can see, there are many ways to calculate equity in poker. Everyone chooses for himself

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
searched online and skimmed through 5-10 posts and still couldn't find a straight answer for how to calculate hand equity in poker. They all mostly just mentioned the 2 and 4 rule. I get that, but I'm wondering what is the calculation for equity.
The best way to get a handle on this is through software as it can run a lot of simulations. Equilab has a free version and is what most people use. I think Jonathan Little also has a tool to practice ~equity. I don't know the exact formula for equity - and don't seem to have it in my notes anywhere. I'll look for it! In the meantime, here are my notes on 2/4

Equity is what percentage of the pot you are entitled to based on your chance of winning this hand at showdown. Rule of 2 and 4 is not calculating equity it is a calculation of chances to improve. Equity is your chance of WINNING (not improving).

We are doing the optimistic version of equity because we do not know our opponents hands - but it is a good difference to recognize that we are calculating chances to improve verses chances to win

On television the real equity can be calculated because the RFID in the cards provides the incomplete information (all of the discarded cards/players cards) that we are not able to use as players during a game (we don't know the other players holdings/foldings, the burn cards etc...). Television equity is the closest to perfect equity calculations.
[FONT=-apple-system, system-ui, Segoe UI, Roboto, Noto Sans, Ubuntu, Droid Sans, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
Though we can use the 2 / 4 rule to estimate our equity in a given hand we need to remember that for the 2/4 rule to be a good estimate of equity we must be 100% sure that we are currently behind and if we hit one of our outs, we’ll always win.