How to best study ranges and combinations

D

Dutchman54

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read a number of blog posts and watched a few YouTube videos on ranges and combinations. I get the basics (6 combinations of pairs; 16 combinations of unpaired cards, how that changes with what cards are already dealt, etc.) and would like recommendations on how to deepen my understanding, especially in how to use it in games.

Do you have recommendations for exercises? Books? Sites?

Thanks!

Louis

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The one thing that I have learned about trying to judge someone`s range, is that many people play weak pockets and hit. So, I tend to just focus more on my cards and consider their range to be very wide. Only after facing the same player many times, do I learn their standard range.

ClickPoker

ClickPoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What I can tell you, let's play poker. Spend an hour learning the basics and lifelong learning to play poker

L

Ltech

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great lessons

When it comes to theory and study of poker, I like to delve into Sklansky's books because they show the odds and psychology of the game.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still inclined to think that it is best to watch streams of experienced players or poker vods while listening to the reasoning of an experienced player.
Before you start playing tournaments you need to work in an "icmizer" , having studied push / fold. After, it is best to learn how to play single table (sng ), because it is the basis of a tournament game. For this Collin Moshman wrote a book. Having mastered this, you will become more experienced.

Last edited:
D

Dutchman54

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sklansky - good idea

When it comes to theory and study of poker, I like to delve into Sklansky's books because they show the odds and psychology of the game.

Letch: Thanks for the reminder to study Sklansky. I've read his Tournament Strategy but not his Theory of Poker -- I'll read it now