How to beat maniacs?

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to poker (offline) and have started to play a small NLHE tournament that a local pub runs weekly. It's usually 2-3 tables with between 6-9 players at a table. First week I sat out a lot of hands early to get a feel for the players at the table and it became clear that these guys were willing to get chips in with anything...and I do mean anything! I ended up playing tight, opening with premium holdings and getting chips in when I hit flops. I ran hot and won the tournament first time there - happy days!

Last night we played again and I adopted the same strategy as the previous week, opening with premium hands when in position, folding everything else and building the pot when I hit flops. Except I didn't...couldn't hit a thing! I C-Bet/double-barrelled with over cards only to be raised out of the pot on the turn by people holding things like J3o. By playing super-tight, I ran through to 7th place with everyone knocking each other out along the way, but was short stacked and forced to shove QTo with blinds killing my stack.

So how should I be playing against a table full of aggressive players, in lots of multi-way pots in a tournament format with blind increases every 30-40mins when I'm not hitting anything on the flop or beyond? Should I be looking to get more in pre-flop? I've been raising 3xBB pre-flop and occassionally a bit more if there are limpers (and there are always limpers!).

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise your strong starting hands more pre-flop to thin the herd and when you hit flop make them pay more.

Don't get into a bad habit of calling more to try and hit just play your game and don't try to steal from maniacs.

Take them to value town when you have the best of it.

F

faf

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to deal with maniacs is to let them hang themselves. Put traps when you have a strong hand, disguise your strength and let them bet into you, whenever you feel ready to pull the trigger (usually better on later streets) raise them and hopefully you will gain max value.

The common maniacs would never fold a hand when they hit some piece of the board, even if it's bottom pair on a scary board, so there's no reason to bluff them without equity.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to be a little bit maniac too.This is the way to beat these maniacs players.

slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you can't beat them... join them. if they play like a maniac maybe you should play like a maniac a bit aswell, maybe they will fold or get scared of you. You can also try to bet your hands and flops harder so they won't call so easily. And bet your premium hands more agro then see how they react to it.

M

Matteobvb83

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you must not get drawn into his world you risk finding yourself unprepared for if it is not your style of play. you have to be patient and make him pay for everything, definitely will come along your hand.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dealing with Maniacs

If you are playing against a maniac who raises all the time then just lock yourself down and wait for a monster.
If you're playing against a maniac who simply calls everything, then open up your range and be willing to check down and see a river.
The problem isn't necessarily the maniac themselves, it's the good players playing around the maniac. Just when you decide to deal with the maniac, inevitably someone who plays well catches a good hand and now you're stuck between a Rock and a Hard-head. In those cases you know the rock probably has a monster hand so it's best to try to get away cheap.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing you can try is changing your raise sizing, you can probably get away with raising bigger in those kind of games. Other than that all you can really do is value bet them to death. Also maybe work on your live reads ie watch how they sit, where they put there hands, and where they look- and what all that means when they show their cards.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing against a maniac who raises all the time then just lock yourself down and wait for a monster.
If you're playing against a maniac who simply calls everything, then open up your range and be willing to check down and see a river.
The problem isn't necessarily the maniac themselves, it's the good players playing around the maniac. Just when you decide to deal with the maniac, inevitably someone who plays well catches a good hand and now you're stuck between a Rock and a Hard-head. In those cases you know the rock probably has a monster hand so it's best to try to get away cheap.
I think like you and thanks for the advice.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stratagy I adopt in these situations I typically just play fit or fold.... get it in when it's pretty obvious your ahead.... if you not getting cards post flop then just check fold, cause when you do hit, check, and they bet. You just call on a relatively dry unconnected board they will keep barreling into you.... if a scare card comes on the turn, check raise. Take control and re evaluate the river.... these players have no clue what they are doing even if they claim they do.... so let them think they know, and take thier chips.... it's really just that easy....

Also get formilar with push fold ranges, they will come in real handy when your running card dead and the blinds start getting really high.... just shove or fold with anything less then 10-15 BBs.

migesan

migesan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like them maniacs :), I always went with them, who are smart cards of sacekace, if you enter the fight with them, you are 50% chances, you have to wait for them and will be the result, the last time I played in our league against Zam220 (Oleg ), who played as a "crazy", every hand ollin, and when the game is usually played smart, I was short and waited, but when I played the last I paid, and another player next to me with AJ, I QQ, Oleg KJ, on the flop A6AJ8, though I turned out, was upset to the pain.

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to poker (offline) and have started to play a small NLHE tournament that a local pub runs weekly. It's usually 2-3 tables with between 6-9 players at a table. First week I sat out a lot of hands early to get a feel for the players at the table and it became clear that these guys were willing to get chips in with anything...and I do mean anything! I ended up playing tight, opening with premium holdings and getting chips in when I hit flops. I ran hot and won the tournament first time there - happy days!

Last night we played again and I adopted the same strategy as the previous week, opening with premium hands when in position, folding everything else and building the pot when I hit flops. Except I didn't...couldn't hit a thing! I C-Bet/double-barrelled with over cards only to be raised out of the pot on the turn by people holding things like J3o. By playing super-tight, I ran through to 7th place with everyone knocking each other out along the way, but was short stacked and forced to shove QTo with blinds killing my stack.

So how should I be playing against a table full of aggressive players, in lots of multi-way pots in a tournament format with blind increases every 30-40mins when I'm not hitting anything on the flop or beyond? Should I be looking to get more in pre-flop? I've been raising 3xBB pre-flop and occassionally a bit more if there are limpers (and there are always limpers!).

Don't ever C-bet against maniacs if you don't hit the flop. Chances are they will float you and force you to get out of the hand even when you have a better hand. In these cases, just refuse to build the pot and let them get the small amount of chips in the middle

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I encounter a maniac, I always make a strong raise and I try to get as far as possible from that hand, that's the only way to get it. No bugs and other nonsense just so much and he is yours.

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't ever C-bet against maniacs if you don't hit the flop. Chances are they will float you and force you to get out of the hand even when you have a better hand. In these cases, just refuse to build the pot and let them get the small amount of chips in the middle

Yes i agree with you, it s about making the right decision .

F

fernando21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like them maniacs :), I always went with them, who are smart cards of sacekace, if you enter the fight with them, you are 50% chances, you have to wait for them and will be the result, the last time I played in our league against Zam220 (Oleg ), who played as a "crazy", every hand ollin, and when the game is usually played smart, I was short and waited, but when I played the last I paid, and another player next to me with AJ, I QQ, Oleg KJ, on the flop A6AJ8, though I turned out, was upset to the pain.

So... Mainly thing what should be done is to look for the opportunity to arise. Thnx for your answer.

Tom Jerry

Tom Jerry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I'm a newbie here .. but in my opinion you should not give in to their provocations in the game! Playing only with a strong hand trapping.

K

Kalipro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the older days of poker....maniac could loosen up a table and and value to his craziness and hit big. I think now that there is so many value betters that the maniac will rarely win in the end. I just pick my spots an use em to double up. No bluffs or traps... They catch up alot in online mtt cause there is so many of em.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

IMO, pub games are similar to playing micros online, online anonymity leads players to be hyper aggressive with crap holdings, but in a pub, the alcohol tends to make people hyper aggressive with crap holdings.
Just pay attention to your opponents and play the same game you had when you took down your first pub game.
Good luck.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be an incredibly frustrating way to play, but you really do just need to be patient and focus on controlling your tilt if that is something that affects your game. Remind yourself that these are inevitably losing players, and that every decision in poker is not measured by its result, but by its validity at the time it was made. Those people getting it in with J3o are making losing decisions at the end of the day. Play 100 tournaments with these people with a tight-aggressive style and you will make money.

The biggest obstacle is that the correct play against people who are so recklessly loose is to be even more tight than usual. Of course, that will lead to some very draining lengths of time in which you simply can't take down a hand, due to having to fold more of your marginal hands and being unable to bluff your missed flops as often. You need to pick your shots very carefully; personally I find that high ace hands can be extremely profitable against these types of players, as most of them will play virtually any ace and will not hesitate to ship with a godawful kicker if they pair it.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips

Maniacs can not win !!! go to all in with any trash !!!

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
frreroll

Truly freerolls is a lottery

Attachments

• Screenshot_42.jpg
    Screenshot_42.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 9
N

newbypoker777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try increasing your bets/raises against these types of players and get more value.

The hard way to do so is sometimes to decide at the beginning of a hand that regardless of the flop/tun/river - you are calling him down!

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many aggressive players are just trying to give their chips away. The problems is that they push with any two cards and hit many times before they are finally crushed. The key is to be pro-active and not re-active. When they bet big fold unless you have AA or KK. They when you finally have cards and position attack them with a big bet, and they will give you their chips.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
With tenderness and sensitivity love! :dancing:
It must resemble a Hawaiian massage Lomi lomi nui! :D