How bad can it get?

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have the occasional good run, but 95% of the time it's the other way around. I used to get discouraged - now I just accept it (most of the time). What seems to be bad luck is really just me not allowing myself to see the forest for the trees. For instance:

Why is this guy check/calling every one of my bets while this other (usually tight) guy is just sitting back quietly calling both of us? Hmmm,.... maybe, just maybe the first guy has odds on me with a great draw or two, and maybe, just maybe, the other guy has already got us both beat. Maybe, just maybe, my pocket Aces have outlived their usefulness.​

or,

Maybe, just maybe, shoving with QQ from EP is only going to get called by AA, KK, or AK, and I'm either going to be crushed or just pick up pocket change.​

or,

Maybe, just maybe, my 88 isn't as great a hand as I thought against say J9s, unless I actually do hit that set.​

or,

Maybe my KK is useless against the other guy's 33 because he did hit the set.​

or,

Maybe, just maybe, the three other players who called my pre-flop bet are playing suited hands and a third diamond just hit the board. I wonder, hmmmm,.... what is the likliehood that one of these guys is holding 2 diamonds? Hmmmm,.... I wonder .....​

A lot has been said about pre-flop play vs. post-flop play. Neither trumps the other. Every hold'em board has five community cards, not zero, not three, not four, but all five. Each one of those changes the hand, sometimes in your favor, usually not. "Know when to fold" comes to mind.

Now, if I can only keep my head above water till my '5% of the time' good luck run happens.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear you.

I believe PapaC has deep understanding of your situation.

Taking a break for 2 WEEKS or even a MONTH wouldnt be overexaggeration, even for professional, everyday poker player. Thats what I would do.