How to avoid a bad beat?

NevermoreSF1

NevermoreSF1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats are part of poker, without bad beats poker would be a boring game!
You have to accept that playing poker entails facing many things some of them good others bad. Over time and after studying a lot you will realize that poker is not a simple card game but rather it is a game that you will need patience, strategy and another important skills but we don't have to forget that we will need a little bit of luck too. However, in the long term the best prepared players will have their reward.
yes, I think without them it would be boring!

steeler1970

steeler1970

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch the dealer button and see how the cards go and if someone is hitting things on the river card then you are in at that spot be care full when you play that player at that time

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beat is a matter of point of view. If you put your bad beats here, the most of them aren't that bad beats. Maybe its even bad play. Example, limping with aces, so you get action but giving the opportunity to opponents see cheaply the flop and make something better than just a pair. I used to go on tilt for days and lose month earnings because my aces cracked by 5 6. But now I know it was my fault and not a bad beat. No tilt, no losing bankrolls, no "poker sites is rigged". Just a beat.

And now Im going into even deep depths of a bad beat. Someone said here he lost quads K vs Royal Flush. You are on the river and you know that the only thing that beat your quads is royal flush. The odds to lose are like one in a million. So you push all your chips in the middle and wait to get paid. Now consider this. What exactly tell you that this is not this one in a million time? Nothing.

Ps Thats my way of dealing with bad beats, going full zen so I dont lose my mind and my bankroll in the process..:rolleyes:

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A bad beat by definition is difficult to avoid since it means that a player with a weaker hand continues calling your raises and ends up sucking out on you. If you know you have the best hand the whole way and you play it aggressively, and you still end up losing, most of the time there's not much you can do. Try not to over value one pair hands if you think your opponent might have a chance of hitting his draw by the river. Pay close attention to the board. Are there possible draws? If he keeps calling, play more pot control, or maybe just fold and wait for a better spot. Sometimes you just need to fold those aces. Sad but true.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just know if your taking bad beats it part of the variance and it really says that your playing good poker. In reality if your using proper bankroll management you shouldn't have much of a problem with bad beats considering the rarity of them occurring. If your talking about just getting outdrawn by lesser hands that have say 4 outs or fewer there's pot control if your getting to many calls and jamming if your finding that your allowing player to see turns and rivers to cheap. Or just keep playing the same and fight through it. There's podcast that help you deal with tilt and variance

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't really avoid them. So just deal with it :)

damgold

damgold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if you do not play poker,they Will always exist,you wanting or not.

Last edited:
PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
No way to avoid them totally, but being aggressive can help in avoiding some. Also not putting ourself in tough spots can help.

IcyNicy

IcyNicy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's not possible to deal with them.
The reason why they make you get angry is clear. The hand which has better chances to win loses instead. It's always not the best feeling.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break, take a break, take a break, take a break! The only real way I see of avoiding bad beats. If you feel one coming on, take a break. You won't be losing anything, you'll be winning.

NevermoreSF1

NevermoreSF1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break, take a break, take a break, take a break! The only real way I see of avoiding bad beats. If you feel one coming on, take a break. You won't be losing anything, you'll be winning.
Thank you friend! I'll listen to your advice!

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cannot avoid a bad beat, else it wouldn't be a bad beat

AgentXtreme

AgentXtreme

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just like Joe said , it's hard to avoid since you're not very aggressive , you need to push the pressure on them to avoid such a situation .

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only way to avoid them is to play
Chess instead if Poker... :)

Bad beats just happen... and we never
complain about them when we are the
ones on the winning end...

Actually getting bad beats is good :)