How accurate is Sharkscope???

E

encore_mjx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I am really new here, and sorry if that question was asked before. I have seen previous posts about sharkscope inacurracy but I was under impression that these are very minor one.
I paid for subscription today (silver) and installed that desktop version. Anyway -for the pats 2 days sharkscope shows: 77 tournaments played, total winnings: -$31.78, roi: -14%
My holdem manager: 77 tournaments played, total winnings: +$69.08, roi: today +39%, yesterday +24%. Of course my bankroll is line with HM stats... So my question is - why such a big difference??? I was researching many players, and was wondering how on earth guy plays from 2009, with 100 turnaments a day, and roi of just +3%...
So is it the thing - that if sharkscope shows ROI of +3% the guy is really at +50-60% ROI???
Is it really worth to pay for that sharkscope? Is it anything better?
(I am not connected with HM in anyway).
Thanks

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No idea, great question!

I have used the site occasionally in the past to check stats for indicators or insight. I hadn't taken the stats as gospel but presumed they wouldn't be world's apart from accurate...

Now you mention it, I'm interested in what people have to say, haha..

L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi. I am really new here, and sorry if that question was asked before. I have seen previous posts about sharkscope inacurracy but I was under impression that these are very minor one.
I paid for subscription today (silver) and installed that desktop version. Anyway -for the pats 2 days sharkscope shows: 77 tournaments played, total winnings: -$31.78, roi: -14%
My holdem manager: 77 tournaments played, total winnings: +$69.08, roi: today +39%, yesterday +24%. Of course my bankroll is line with HM stats... So my question is - why such a big difference??? I was researching many players, and was wondering how on earth guy plays from 2009, with 100 turnaments a day, and roi of just +3%...
So is it the thing - that if sharkscope shows ROI of +3% the guy is really at +50-60% ROI???
Thanks

Maybe stats there are off for some reason, I'm not sure but i found out there's a consistence difference in results sharkscope shows, which are always lower and what pokerprolabs shows. Now not sure who of them is right or why sharkscope would count less profit but as to what you expierenced it seems sharkscope is the one inaccurate, maybe go check on pokerprolabs if those stats are right with you :)

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think SharkScope takes their data as interpreted by the poker site. I have the personal experience of playing only freerols and micro games with about the same results on both WPN and partypoker. When I looked up my stats on Sharkscope, My ROI on WPN was about 25% while mt ROI on Party was about 4000% (not a typo). I can only assume that this happened because WPN reported winning a big ticket (in a freeroll) as profit, and not making it to the money in the huge tourney as loss (of the big ticket amount). While Party gave me the profit of the ticket(s) from freerolls as profit, and not making the money in the tourney(s) as a wash.

In other words, the "raw data" used by SharkScope is not really "raw".

Last edited by a moderator:
hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not good at all most trackers for many different sites and disciplines do not record freeroll cashes,Cash games or spin and go properly for many poker sites.
It is still ok to see how players are doing in sit and go and tournaments on most sites still some errors exist there too,
But can still give worthwhile good indications of a players ability and performance level but exact profit and losses forgot about it.

Last edited:
L

Lieutenant_OH7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not good at all most trackers for many different sites and disciplines do not record freeroll cashes,Cash games or spin and go properly for many poker sites.
It is still ok to see how players are doing in sit and go and tournaments on most sites still some errors exist there too,
But can still give worthwhile good indications of a players ability and performance level but exact profit and losses forgot about it.

I think it depends per site then, what I've played freerolls, spin&gos, don tournaments etc are all counted, indeed when u win a ticket it will show up in ur graph and when you lose with it that will show up too but that doesn't really matter. Think sharkscope is still a lot more accurate than prolabs, one player they say their alltime profit is 1.7mil$, only sharkscope it only says about 360k lol...

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its great to see how ofton a player plays but I can say this, I does not accurately show my results.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its accurate for me

Thanks

I checked it out for myself and it seems to be accurate enough for me. I will try the other one and let ya know

V

VBB112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's interesting. I've never done a comparison. I think it's generally correct for me. Actually, that's just how I use it. I think you can quickly get a feel for whether an opponent is a good player or a fish or somewhere in between. I can use that information accordingly.

diago726

diago726

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion it is very precise, correct and concrete.

J

joshua360

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it can be deceiving. I consider myself a decent poker player with incredibly poor bankroll management. When I win a little I almost always play a tournament that is too large a buy in for my bankroll. So when someone looks at my sharkscope data they see a downward trend in my profits. I'm not denying that I loose money, I clearly do. But this does not make me a bad player, just a player who can't manage my money. I need help with my bankroll management.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the site, but overall fairly accurate.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just looked myself up and compared myself to somebody that, from CC freerolls, I know to be a very bad player. Somehow Sharkscope shows his ROI as 280%+ even though he hasn't even made $100 from more than 1800 games.

I am the top row, he's the other one.

Anyone know the reason?

Based on the avg. stake he may have bought into paid tournaments whereas I only play freerolls and points tourneys. Maybe that accounts somehow into the ROI calculation??

Attachments

• sharkscope.jpg
    sharkscope.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 33
uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never played on bets but recently I've received a lot of promotional emails about Sharkscope and betting but I'm not interested and I don't need it.

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just looked myself up and compared myself to somebody that, from CC freerolls, I know to be a very bad player. Somehow Sharkscope shows his ROI as 280%+ even though he hasn't even made $100 from more than 1800 games.

I am the top row, he's the other one.

Anyone know the reason?

Based on the avg. stake he may have bought into paid tournaments whereas I only play freerolls and points tourneys. Maybe that accounts somehow into the ROI calculation??
most likely the values are not correct

Viparida

Viparida

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To be honest i dont get what is the great use of sharkscope, i mean you can see if an opponent is profitable or not but in my opinion that doesnt help you too much when playing against him.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know for sure they didn't count a few of my bigger cashes. But that's not too bad. I'd rather an opponent thinking I am worse than I am.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SharkScope does not accurately report from Chico network

I think SharkScope takes their data as interpreted by the poker site. I have the personal experience of playing only freerols and micro games with about the same results on both WPN and PartyPoker. When I looked up my stats on Sharkscope, My ROI on WPN was about 25% while mt ROI on Party was about 4000% (not a typo). I can only assume that this happened because WPN reported winning a big ticket (in a freeroll) as profit, and not making it to the money in the huge tourney as loss (of the big ticket amount). While Party gave me the profit of the ticket(s) from freerolls as profit, and not making the money in the tourney(s) as a wash.

In other words, the "raw data" used by SharkScope is not really "raw".

I know this thread is old - however I wanted to affirm MME's quoted post above - at least in relation to the Chico network, BoL & SB.

First - I have only ever deposited 25 bucks on BoL, which is a requirement to withdraw.
I've always only played micro stakes and our (long gone) CC freerolls on that site.
I've had some decent wins, but I've always kept a pretty tight bankroll management, roughly 100 buyins for the average stakes I play. Because of this - I used to play pretty infrequently because most of the micro buyins on BoL do not fall in my normal play time.

Recently I had a pretty nice score - 2nd in the 3.30 1k and went to look up my SharkScope results.

I was surprised to see at one time - the year before last SS shows I had a -110.00 plummet over the course of one day.
As a micro player - I know as fact this is complete absurdity. Also I'm up nearly 4x more than what the stats on SS show.

The only thing I can recon regarding that one weird -110.00 drop in the span of one day is - possibly I won a series of satellite steps that originated initially from a freeroll or micro satellite - and eventually ended up in me winning a 109.00 ticket - to play in a specific event. I obviously did not make it into the money, so sharkscope deducted that amount from my earnings graph/calculation.

Funny thing is - I never remember winning a 109.00 ticket before - but maybe I did ?!?

I can also confirm SharkScope lists satellite ticket values as earnings on WPN.
I've looked up several players in the past (only when they make final tables with me) and I've noticed they have earnings which total the value of the ticket they won in certain satellite events.
You can identify these errors by looking at the money tags on the graphs - they will list the amount won and the name of the event. The ones that are inaccurate are any that list a Venom event that is any value under 2650.00.
The Venom event on ACR is always a 2650.00 buy-in. So any values of like 90.00, or 215.00, are step tourneys where the person won a ticket to the next step, but they did not earn that in the Big Venom Events.
If they did earn ANY amount in the Big Venom Event, that value would be larger than 2650.00. Also ACR does not allow any player to convert ticket winnings into money/tourney cash - except on rare occasions where you have earned two tickets for the same event.

Sharkscope - although marginally useful to gauge the overall ability of your opponents, is only breakeven on its accuracy at best. :confused::icon_thum:deal:

Attachments

• SharkScopeInaccurateonChico01.jpg
    SharkScopeInaccurateonChico01.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 9