Hindering new players

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only been playing this great game since Christmas. Like most newbies, I make lots of mistakes and loose my stake on numerous occasions, but we all have to start somewhere, right?
I read books, watch youtube videos etc to improve my game, and hopefully I will become a better player. So why is it a large number of better players that I play against insist on being insulting all the time? I am constantly being called Donk or fish (and these are the tip of the iceberg)
It really isn't helpful or encouraging to us new players. I don't expect the better players to send little messages of support, all I ask is let us learn at our own pace, without the insults, and one day, maybe we can give you better players a good game.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only been playing this great game since Christmas. Like most newbies, I make lots of mistakes and loose my stake on numerous occasions, but we all have to start somewhere, right?
I read books, watch youtube videos etc to improve my game, and hopefully I will become a better player. So why is it a large number of better players that I play against insist on being insulting all the time? I am constantly being called Donk or fish (and these are the tip of the iceberg)
It really isn't helpful or encouraging to us new players. I don't expect the better players to send little messages of support, all I ask is let us learn at our own pace, without the insults, and one day, maybe we can give you better players a good game.

Cheers

Better players will never insult you for being new or bad, better players understand that they make money from new or bad players, the people who are insulting you are probably worse than you and you should definitely ignore them. Keep learning and improving and never pay attention to what other people say, unless it's constructive criticism.

T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Cheers

Instead of complaining about other players insulting you, why don't you focus on your game and disable chatting? That way the other players can say whatever they want, and you will never know.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. You are so honest about being new and inexperienced.

Many new players think they're experts.

I think you'll do well. You can't learn if you know it all.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He`s right about better players not caring,,i`m thinking you must be doing something right if your pissin people off.Players get mad if they can`t get a read on you and blame you(call u a donk n fish)Ignore the comments,:)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are doing ok for a newbie sounds like. Take your time and continue and you will do good.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Ignore the noise. Poker is no different than football and politics. You just have to tune out the noise that is not useful to your field.

M

MURPHYFFL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
love when a fish is at my table! fish, drug dealers, and old retired men make my bank roll fat!:)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Should you decide to hang around the forum long enough to qualify for our private CC games, you will find most of that going away. Abusive language & personal attacks are not allowed here. Playing site free rolls or micro stake games or tourneys, turn off the table chat & focus on your play. Once you have qualified for CC events turn the chat back on & meet some friendly folks & some very good players.

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your game will only get better.... Just focus and think of every hand Continue to read more on the subject. Good luck at the tables....

T

Thenightrain

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If someone is being abusive on chat it normally means you're winning :)

Don't worry about other people, just focus on your own game and if you see someone being abusive they're probably tilting so see if you can exploit that.

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He`s right about better players not caring,,i`m thinking you must be doing something right if your pissin people off.Players get mad if they can`t get a read on you and blame you(call u a donk n fish)Ignore the comments,:)

Thanks mate. [emoji1360]

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the positive comments. I'm sure you're all right. I will turn the chat off and hopefully become a better player.
Good luck.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Literate players do not behave this way. Who insults, he does not play very much. (My opinion).

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sadly, it is "normal" everyday practice that new and EXPERIENCED players get offended.

Do not take it personal, I myself and other good/better than me players get offended too. It has nothing to do with your skill/experience. It has to do with the mental state of the offender. Simply turn off the chat. You are not responsible to entertain all the players at the table!

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, you can just turn off chat and ignore the rude comments. And yes, it's unlikely, but not unheard of, for better players to act this way.

Another approach would be to ask yourself what you did that the other player got so riled about.

For example limping in early position with 72 off-suit, and then calling a largish pre-flop 3-bet is a really bad play. I'm not saying you do this, but if you do and then hit two pair, beating the other guy's pocket Kings, he may call you a fish because 72 is the worst starting hand in poker.

People who lose in such a situation often get upset, and call the lucky winner rude names. Typically they're shouting at you that you're playing poorly and winning solely because of good luck. As hurtful as it is, they are actually helping you by pointing out that you have a serious flaw in your play, that you should learn from and correct in the future.

Of course, they also do this when they win just to be nasty, but the point is the same. It's a learning opportunity that you can either get offended about, or take advantage of.

E

effece

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Part of the game is the psychology of poker, where you struggle with insults or try to donk, then, you are new you feel affected and end up tilt, making more mistakes. You must learn not to let yourself be influenced by those comments and concentrate only on your game to advance. Good luck at the tables

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated and I will take them onboard.

diadiavalik

diadiavalik

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I on the contrary try to pay attention to the players who insult someone, sooner or later they begin to get angry and lose everything. Good luck in the game and study.