Hi/Lo Hand Strength Question

T

TomWH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing on Omaha Hi/Lo on America's Card Room the other night I had A2347, the wining player had 34567, and won both lo, and hi pots. I swear mine was the low hand, but he/she got both pots? I am fairly new to hi/lo, but have been playing for years, and would have bet my house I had the low hand, would I have lost my house? lol

P.S The game was PLO8, maybe a different type of Hi/Lo where the actual best hand wins if under 8 high meaning the 34567 was the best Lo hand?

Last edited:
Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Not enough info, what were the board cards.

34567 is a high hand.

:dontknow:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In O8 you're not penalized for having a straight with your low cards so whoever had the lowest 5 cards should have taken that half of the pot. In this case, your 74 beats his 76.

But maybe you or he actually had a different low you weren't seeing at the time? If you have access to the exact hand please feel free to post it here and we'll take a look!

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Yes, need to know the board cards (community cards).

Also, remember that players must use two of their hole cards combined with three from the board to make their high and low hands. The high and low hands can be different cards.

T

TomWH

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, need to know the board cards (community cards).

Also, remember that players must use two of their hole cards combined with three from the board to make their high and low hands. The high and low hands can be different cards.

I forget the board cards, but I searched for the answer, and now understand, 34567 would beat a 12368? I must have had a higher high card as I doubt ACR was wrong. lol I had been under the impression the bottom cards counted most, but come to find it's the high cards. As I said been playing for 40 odd years, just not much Hi/Lo, and I have no idea where I learned the lower cards are more important. Thanks for the replies.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I forget the board cards, but I searched for the answer, and now understand, 34567 would beat a 12368? I must have had a higher high card as I doubt ACR was wrong. lol I had been under the impression the bottom cards counted most, but come to find it's the high cards. As I said been playing for 40 odd years, just not much Hi/Lo, and I have no idea where I learned the lower cards are more important. Thanks for the replies.

Exactly, it always starts with the highest card. So if you're best 5-card low is 8432A then you're playing an 8-high which loses to any 7-high such as 76543. The other cards are only relevant if both players have the same highest card, e.g. 86432 beats 8732A.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands