Help me figure it out! Call or fold????

L

Lol1x1

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, please help me figure out the situation. Opened with A7 and Villain shoved. The pot is 17 bb, I have to pay 11 bb (65% of the pot). Against his range, I have 28% to win. How is the profitability of a call / fold calculated? thanks:confused:

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good question, but I'm afraid there's too much that you left out that really give us a better of how we think a specific play is. Is this a 6 handed table? 9 handed? Is this a tournament? A Sit & Go? Are we in the money? Is this a PKO? Also, it depends on the villain as well and what they are capable of. My initial thought with the information at hand tells me that their shove says that they're holding a hand that your hand does poorly against (overall against their range).

They're shoving big Aces, big pocket pairs, all of which you are behind. You're really hoping that they are shoving a hand like A5 suited or any A-wheel cards (suited or unsuited).

I'm leaning towards folding pre-flop here based on my initial impression, but given you did raise, I'm raise-folding to a shove.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to say something with so much missing information. Some things that may help you take that decision are: where did you come up with this range (GTO? Have you played with him before and know how tight/agg his shoves are?)?; From which position did you open and from which position did he shove? How many people there were on the table?; How many chips did you have?; Was is a bounty tournament (I assume not, since you left that out when calculating the pot value)?; How many people were left on the tournament?
All these questions are important and this hand of yours can be a call or a fold depending on the circunstances.

daddybrooks

daddybrooks

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As prev 2 said, lot of info missing to say. Remember to include your starting chips and positions of all involved at a minimum.

As it sits however, if you're already in for 8bb and it's HU against jammer, even though you're likely behind if he has any A, may as well call if you have a decent stack behind.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello, please help me figure out the situation. Opened with A7 and Villain shoved. The pot is 17 bb, I have to pay 11 bb (65% of the pot). Against his range, I have 28% to win. How is the profitability of a call / fold calculated? thanks:confused:

Welcome to our community.
Situations are usually different, but in this case I am more inclined to consider the fold. In general, in most cases, I do not play with such starting hands.
Please pay attention to our free course, thanks to which you will be able to find answers to your questions and gain new knowledge.
https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/
Good luck.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have to agree with the other responses - way too much missing information. Was your A7 suited or not? Were others still in position to act after your opening - especially if they were between you and villain.
Sorry, but the question cannot be answered as it stands.

L

La reytor

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on your position in the tournament in which position you are, you say 17BB if you are close to the bubble the most likely is to fold, and waiting is always good to recover the entry, try to go as far as possible. :deal:

C

CourtJester

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm with everyone - need wayyyyyyy more info. Not saying that you should have all that info, but I don't wanna make a blanket statement about a situation with too many variables.

M

mouTAT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with everyone we need more informations about that hand

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
if you are player who likes to gamble , you call , if you are a poker player, you fold :)))

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe mix up your plays, call sometimes and fold at other times.

Izzeee

Izzeee

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That depends on a lot of factors. What position are you in, what position is the villian in, how many BB's do you have, are they known for playing a lot of garbage, are they know for bluffing? All of those question need to be taken into account when calling someone's all in. Generally speaking, I'm not calling an all in with A7 very often at all. Unsually depends on position and stack depth.

Folding in Poker