Heads Up Poker Strategy

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Cards Chat Grinders,

Would it be a better strategy to value a single card as a strong hand when heads up? For example should I be Raising with hands like K3 offsuit or Q6 off? I believe I might be playing to tight in my heads up matches.

Any advice would be great.

Thank You To All:cool:

najjah166

najjah166

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In HU, I play all the cards and I raise that with a figure

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Heads up strategy to me is about the ability to make your opponent fold or becoming a calling station.

Either strategy requires discipline and the ability to recognize your opponents weaknesses. That is the key to winning.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello Cards Chat Grinders,

Would it be a better strategy to value a single card as a strong hand when heads up? For example should I be Raising with hands like K3 offsuit or Q6 off? I believe I might be playing to tight in my heads up matches.

Any advice would be great.

Thank You To All:cool:
Howdy Partner :O) Heads up is a lot different then a full table, so yeah beat the K3 or that Q6 but not all the time. Pick your hands to play a little and to bluff, then eventually you'll have that hand they think you dont. :O) Good luck out there and keep grinding

M

Maisel46

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up strategy to me is about the ability to make your opponent fold or becoming a calling station.

Either strategy requires discipline and the ability to recognize your opponents weaknesses. That is the key to winning.

I'll subscribe to that.

In my experiences the opponent often becomes desperate and gets lost in ill-advised raisings or all ins. Your discipline and reading your opponent is often your success.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Like others have said knowing your opponent is a vital key to heads up play. This allows you to play certain hands against them. Against a tight passive player you should open up your starting hands a lot and try to steal pots off them often with c-bets and a 2nd barrel bluffs.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for the advice. I'll use this to evolve my heads up strategy.

Good Luck To All:cool:

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a one-on-one game, bluffing becomes more priority. But before that, you must study the opponent and understand when you can and when you should not bluff. The whole game goes to the middle map.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do play these kind of hands only when the gap between blinds and my chips are big enough otherwise I fold

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice is to 3bet hands that have raw equity preflop and bad playabilty postflop

I

IanP304

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess it all depends on what format you are playing. Are you talking about HU Cash, HU Sng, HU sng hypers or HU at the final table of an MTT?

There are different strategies you can use for all the above game types and they wouldn't necessarily be the same.

For example if I was playing HU sng hypers I would likely ensure I had a good knowledge of nash push/fold range and build my strategy around them. Whereas in a regular HU sng or HU cash I would look to exploit any edges post flop.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Here, the opening raises spectra are also important, as for full-table games. Naturally, the spectrum should be much wider. In addition, it will depend on the type of opponent: against the nit, we expand the spectrum even more, more bluffs, and against the calling stations we narrow the spectrum and do not bluff at all.

If this is a tournament or SNG HU, then when the stacks are less than 20 BB, we use the push/fold chart for heads-up games. And if the stack is more than 20BB, then i myself do not know exactly how to play )))

I would like to know what size to raise with stacks greater than 20BB and what kind of raise spectra to choose. And for the case of cash games is also interesting...