haw do u play A K

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i go awrin with AK and then hope i flop big or go home sometime maybe ill play the main event maybe get AK go awrin hit big against kenny tran send him home then chip leader and milionaire gl at the tables!

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise for an unsuited AK hand aswell, but not as much as i do for the suited AK. I play according the probability, and once again t he table position; a suited pair has a slightly higher probability. The reason "I' beleive that there should be a large raise with a short stack is because you have less to lose and need more to gain before the blinds eat you; you already have less chips than most players, but you want to play it safe, which is why you raise and eliminate limpers.. Since less players will call ( my goal is usually just one) your opponent(s) have a lower probability to make a pair. Thus, you would have a higher chance of having a high card than them.

Well since u say that u raise acording to probaility do u raise 2% more?

F

Figment6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's easy to play A, K, it's mood dependant! Oops, wait I wasn't supposed to share that with the men was I?:eek:

I like a small raise or even NO raise. Depends on how daring I want to be and if it's play money or real cash.

If there is an obnoxious person who overbets every hand (while holding nothing!) at the table I may go all the way and wait until he tries to bully everyone out, then I take him (or her) down. This is of course presuming the cards on the table are in my favor. Sometimes ya just gotta toss 'em.

You get a bigger take sometimes too, when others are fighting it out for their smaller kicker or even a pair of eights or something of the like.

No matter what, keep having fun, when it ain't fun it's time to go grab a beer.

R

rivertapped

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
While I think it's usually best to play AK aggressively....

In late position I sometimes like to flat call a preflop raiser. I'm hoping he's playing a weaker ace and will do all the betting for me if the flop brings an ace, or at least pick off his continuation bet if he's got a pocket pair.

I'll also do this from the blinds with the intention of check/raising the flop.

If the flop doesn't hit me I can easily get away from the hand.

CAPT. ZIGZAG

CAPT. ZIGZAG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They don't call it "Walking Home" for nuthin.

Getting AK under the gun almost always relates to an eventual pre flop fold for me. Puts fear in my stomach cuz I know I gotta try to play it.

On the button with a table of limpers....STILL SCARY.

If I can get isolated, then I'll push. And probably walk the #$#% home. :D

---

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They don't call it "Walking Home" for nuthin.

Getting AK under the gun almost always relates to an eventual pre flop fold for me. Puts fear in my stomach cuz I know I gotta try to play it.

On the button with a table of limpers....STILL SCARY.

If I can get isolated, then I'll push. And probably walk the #$#% home. :D

---

you should try to suppress those negative thoughts and you'll probably have a lot more success with AK

P

pokerham34

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the big slick a k ..wats the best way to play it..iv been skanked that many times with it. im resortin to just goin all in....i no sad..any advice on wat to do with it....

really hate moving all in with AK unless u really think u have the other over coated with them having a hand such as A Q or so forth but the thing u need to ask yourself 1st of all is what style of poker ur playing in a cash game for 1 no1 is ussually jus going to move in preflop with anything less than an AK so at best u would be in a race........so try to build the pot incase u do hit and if u dont u dont have to much invested to be able to fold...........beleive me in a tourney ill take pocket 2s preflop over ak for all my money any day

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trying to get your number of posts up? The moderator will never figure it out. lol

Z

zxghostxz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u mean me with the coment about the number of posts. no im not. i joined this site to learn a bit more about the game of poker.i notice u are a advanced member so im surprised at the atitude. to be honest if thats the atitude of advanced members well shove yer site...

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chill out I was just joking, you don't see too may post like that.

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think your stack should grow during the whole tournament.
If you have AK in your hands and you go all-in preflop, you will risk a lot and you will not be able to realize the power of this hand. If you do not lose, in rare cases, you can win a lot of chips. Over a long period of time you lose more.

A

alvinw

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Love the question. But like most if not all poker answers, it depends. Game, Stack Depth and Position. Lets say you're IN Position on the Button. AKo there i 1 raise is it from UTG? or MidPosition. Makes a HUGE Difference the earlier the raiser's position the more i would lean towards just calling and playing in Position. Now the Later i lean towards 2.7-3.2 3bet. add 1bb for every calling in between in a vaacum
Out of position. 4x 3bets to 5-6x with others in the hand. Then Cbet Most Dry Flops small 1/3-1/2 Keep this as a BASELINE and sway from it as the situtation calls for. This a super simple way of explaining it. but start here. if you have last than 40bbs you can 3bet get it in and just good luck. Deeper you are play the pot and try not to expose your whole stack without good reason. Hope this helps.

GL