To Have Or Not To Have Conversations At The Tables

TxScorpion

TxScorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay....is there such a thing as talking too much at the table? Was at a private game recently and there was guy there that just would not shut the hell up! Whether he was in a hand or not, this guy was talking up a storm. You could tell that the other players and the dealer were getting annoyed by this guy but we all just battled through it. Is this a way for someone to pick up tells and eventually put a player on tilt? Or is it just a way of being social?

J

johncapper750

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on your mood... variable x
Also on the other people at your table... variable y

Given these 2 variables there is no straight answer to your question.

You can go in with the same mind set/attitude every time. That doesn't mean the outcome will be the same.

Just don't listen to headphones at the table. A real pet peeve of mine to say the least. You ask a person a simple question or a chip count and the reply is always the same... What??? or Excuse me???
Hate it!!!
Live tournament with headphones? Now thats a different story all together. I don't really have a problem with that.

J

jancika77

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never talk to other players at the table. It will weaken my concentration on game and is more distraction than help.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a kind of social game.
why not talk.
I am sure, that I got more information than I send on tables. so I talk.

PS: you may sometimes gain extra EV by conversation. like recently, I was advertised by a player , for a discount webpage....LOL
that one is very useful, for next thanksgiving...LOL

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
online poker, I ignore chat or simply turn it off.

Live poker, I really don't talk much at all. Small talk to be polite, but not much beyond that.