Hand Reading / Villain 3-bet Cont. Ranges

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm just starting out with learning hand reading, and I've been working on James Sweeney's CORE program and I've got a question. When deciding whether to 3-bet someone, say they have vpip: 20 / pfr: 16 / fold to 3-bet: 60 / 4-bet: 3.

So they raised, which gives them roughly a 16% range, now to know whether I should 3-bet for value, I need to know the range they would call my 3-bet with so I can make sure I'm ahead of it. Would I just take the opposite of their fold to 3-bet (so 40%) in this case, then take the top 40% of their pfr range combos to give me their continuing range? Then use their 4-bet% to determine the percentage of combos they'd 4-bet with?

Am I understanding this right? If so, I'll be practicing it a lot off the table before I try to do it in a real game. I know there are other things to consider when 3-betting, but I'm specifically concerned with creating a continuing range. I also know I'll need a good sample size, at least 500 hands before fold to 3-bet is accurate, probably more like 1000 hands for 4-bet numbers.

Thanks for any help/advice.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can use combonator to work on ranges.
https://combonator.com/

plug in a 20% range pre which is roughly
22+,A2s+,K9s+,Q9s+,J9s+,T9s,ATo+,KTo+,QTo+,JTo

then go to postflop and find a 40% continue range accounting for some 4bet bluffs.

4bet bluffs
A5s-A2s

flatting range
99+,AJs+,KJs+,QJs,AQo+,KQo

Given standard preflop bet sizes the minimum defense frequency is around 28% calls 72% folds vs a 3bet.So i always think it's helpful to know those ranges to work from as'well assigning a standard Tag preflop rfi range.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just to point out those ranges might not be that accurate to actual ranges i just plugged in rough ranges as an example.You need to play about with the combos of hands you think villain defends with as 4bets and calls.

FroZeeN89

FroZeeN89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is true that these statistics are good, but try to take into account position, the level of blinds, stack your villain to make a good decision to 3bet or 3bet light.

Lately I'm riding my arsenal of moves for each stack, from 10 BBs and is helping me a lot.

T

TheCourtesyFlush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks Mettagame, that helps quite a bit.
It is true that these statistics are good, but try to take into account position, the level of blinds, stack your villain to make a good decision to 3bet or 3bet light.

Lately I'm riding my arsenal of moves for each stack, from 10 BBs and is helping me a lot.

I'm pretty new to poker, so I don't think I'm the person to be answering any questions yet, but I've been studying a ton so I'll give it a shot.

Yes, there are quite a few things to consider. You mentioned some, but some others include the types of people to act behind you (Is somebody going to shove over your 3-bet?), how villain plays postflop (Does he fold way to much to flop c-bet, turn c-bet, etc), past hand reading (What is his 3-bet calling range?) and equity (Am I ahead of that range?)

I'm not actually considering all of these yet, it's a bit much. :) But I'm working on learning to consider all of them while doing hand reviews. Maybe I'll figure this game out yet. :)

Good luck.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands