guidelines for postflop raise amounts

rowhousepd

rowhousepd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know there is not single, one-size-fits-all answer to this, but I'm just looking for a very rough guideline because I'm realizing I've been all over the place in how I play this and I've read some conflicting things out there....

What is the standard amount you raise by when facing a bet postflop?

Let's take a simple & pretty common example: you're in a micro-low stakes game, facing reg/abc type players with no reads, and both you & the villain have full stacks.

Preflop: Hero is LP with AK.
Folded to Hero, Hero raises to 3.5bb, 2 folds, SB calls 2.5bb.

Flop: (8bb) A x x (2 players)
SB bets 6bb, Hero raises to ... ???

Again, I know this changes depending on the villain and the board, but in a common heads up situation like this, is there general a rule of thumb? Do you base the raise amount on a % the pot after the villain's bet (in this case 14bb), or his bet, or both? Thanks.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me in most situations i would raise 3x times his bet,and then take it from there. But like all answers in these situations it depends.

rowhousepd

rowhousepd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me in most situations i would raise 3x times his bet,and then take it from there. But like all answers in these situations it depends.

Cool. That's sort of the ballpark I was thinking.

Note: I just realized the hand in the OP might actually not be a great spot to raise facing a donk. But the point is I'm making a raise for what I believe is value and I'm in position. Just wondering about the amount.