GTO vs Exploitative Play : what do you choose and why?

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think is best exploitative or gto concept ? and why? :hmmmm2:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I dont think one is particularly better than the other. I employee aspects of both into my game though I think if I had to classify myself I lean more towards the "exploitative" style than GTO. I believe its important to study both aspects - both are good proven methods and its never good to be a one dimensional player. I exploit GTO players all the time when I show up with hands and bet sizings that I shouldnt have. Anyhow, when I am playing against folks I have no reads on I go with more of a GTO approach - and with players whom I have tangled with enough I use an exploitative style. Mixing things up keeps folks guessing - plus it helps your understanding of why an opponent might take a certain line against you.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Daniel Negreanu said, “GTO is how you’d play if you were playing against a perfect robot that made zero mistakes. In other words, you’d simply play the odds. With exploitive play, you look to profit from opponents mistakes. Therefore, GTO should be your baseline strategy, and when you decide to go off tangent, it should be to play exploitively.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I couldn't have worded it better. Agree with this 100%

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I laugh that it teaches people that it is +EV to jam any 2 cards from the big blind when the small blind limps.

Who comes up with this nonsense and how is it that people are so easily led? Or am I mistaken that this is not derived from GTO play but it is actually from somewhere else? Seriously who came up with this?

Other than that, I think there are good aspects to PIO and its good to learn once you have mastered everything else.

Last edited:
theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stronger the opponent, the more you should lean towards GTO, the weaker the opponent, the more you should lean towards exploitative.

M

MilesTheGOAT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Jon & xy23, I try to stick as close to the odds as possible until I start seeing crack in my opponents play, especially when I see they fold to c bet on the flop 100% of the time etc, then I will try to exploit them if I manage to get heads up with them, I have started getting a lot better placements this way because I can slowly increase my stack size by exploiting their shortcomings.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are playing at a higher level I can see GTO being the best way to play. Sadly I play at the micros so GTO is not as useful. I do think learning about it is wise.