GTO!! Oh!! Oh!!!Plus things that suck, but feel good?

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO!! oh!! oh!!! Strategys and things that suck but feels good.....sometimes
Implied odds

Soooo Game Theory Optimal is supposedly all the rage these days with the kids.
Also alot of "Popular "things that are just downright stupid like donk betting etc

They say its an unbeatable way to play poker as to never lose (unless of course variance)
A way to play to never be predictable
A PERFECT STRATEGY ....roflmao
5b92ab9b6e279b9fa88c67cc996e1662.png

Aa useless title that means nothing in my opinion
Its like sticking a GTO sticker over a Ford Exploitative
I don't see a difference in the two...
Possibly it was a way to justify someones ego with a sick name for a revamped strategy

is the difference in deciding which decision is most likely correct? using ranges and going for it more bluffingly/callingly? with GTO
While Exploitative folds those spots?.... I Personally Don't Know:confused:\

People justify doing dumb things claiming deep stack!! IMPLIED ODDS!!!GUS HANSEN
Implied odds brooo were 100BBS deep.
I was watching Negreanu review a hand Phill and Negreanu played heads up against eachother recently.
Phill was callling him stupid and Negreanu claimed its because he doesn't know how to adjust to deepstack implied odds concepts.
Lets see whats what
Both players 100+ BBs
PH has a8o in the BB and raises 2.5x..(stupidly small)
NG has 6h 8h limps and flats
5J8 flop phill bets 40% of the pot NG calls
9 on the turn PH bets 37%~ NG calls
7 on the river PH bets 40% NG flat calls the river with the straight!!!!

Whats the point of being in position calling bullets on every flop against a prefop raiser and doesnt get raise that spot?
HITS the straight on the river 2nd nuts and has position..
Then he decides to flat CALL and say he was in it for implied odds......SMFH
Phill calls Negreanu stupid and they split the pot.
Phill crys on TV then Negreanu goes and cries on his Social Media... and then we all cry!!!!

DONK BETS
are awesome!!!!if youre in the sb or bb and defend. flops that come 85
lets pretend you hit second pair with 68 and check. most likely you will be facing a cbet from a range of hands and have no idea where you stand or your opponents strength by flat calling his bet and rerasing him is costly if incorrect.

But donk betting removes alot of those problems and puts you back in control of the hand.:cool:

Tell me what you guys think is stupid?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making Money > Being Balanced

GTO is great and all, but I don't know about it being the 'holy grail' of poker

Give me old school exploits all day every day plz

<3s me some Pokertracker Stats to find leaks =D

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO is for not losing to the best players in the game, so it is per definition a defensive strategy. And the higher you move up, they more you will need it, because you will face better opponents on average. Opponents who for instance will have bluffs in most spots, so you cant just always fold every single bluff catcher against them.

On the other hand it makes no sense to try to play a GTO style against recreational players. Why on earth should I use small bet sizing or check for pot control, when most recreational players love to call with any silly draw or any pair? Like this hand from my last session. If you are in this situation against a rec player, and you dont get your chips in by the turn, you are leaving money on the table.

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
GTO is for not losing to the best players in the game, so it is per definition a defensive strategy. And the higher you move up, they more you will need it, because you will face better opponents on average. Opponents who for instance will have bluffs in most spots, so you cant just always fold every single bluff catcher against them.

On the other hand it makes no sense to try to play a GTO style against recreational players. Why on earth should I use small bet sizing or check for pot control, when most recreational players love to call with any silly draw or any pair? Like this hand from my last session. If you are in this situation against a rec player, and you dont get your chips in by the turn, you are leaving money on the table.

CardsChat Poker Hands Converter
GTO
SMALL BET SIZING IS FOR PREFLOP PLAY NOT FLOP

MY GTO IS VERY DIFFERENT THAN OTHER PEOPLES VERSION AND IDEA OF GTO

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making Money > Being Balanced

GTO is great and all, but I don't know about it being the 'holy grail' of poker

Give me old school exploits all day every day plz

<3s me some Pokertracker Stats to find leaks =D
SOO you gotta tell me
Have you started check raising with air yet because of me?
I honestly don't know what GTO is besides
Hoping its an optimal play lol
isnt that the point of all strategys

Sooooo
baf44cc38305882770544e4b08424233.png

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that GTO is over-rated and misunderstood by many. I still prefer exploitative play for the most part though. Maybe I like the Old School thoughts on poker, but maybe another reason is because at the low stakes I currently play, my opponents are far from optimal. Of course it makes sense to play exploitative! Playing a balanced range there in GTO-fashion would leave chips on the table :D

GTO is powerful because even if the opponent is aware that you use this approach, there isn't really anything they can do about it; this is one of the main points. Anytime you deviate, then you are trying to play exploitative, but as a result, you open yourself up to being exploited. Essentially, we can't "cover everything", so I think of it this way:

Think of this as a sport with a net and a goal keeper (soccer/futbol, hockey etc.). The shooter almost always aims for the left side of the net. You are defending as the goal keeper - where do you begin?

GTO is beginning in the exact center of the net so that you have less room to adjust either way to defend.

Exploitative is beginning towards that left side they more commonly aim at. However, in doing so, you are more vulnerable if they decide to aim for the right side.

p.s. This example I thought up on the spot. Hope it helps; sounded like a clever analogy I thought :D

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
yeah. whoever has played GTO poker hasn't played much online. It makes me puke to see 3 sitouts lose to a big stack going in every hand with any 2 cards. I would wait to try the GTO in a real life game. And sure enough some big stack, probably two, will be to your left so your play will not even get you to the fish you would like to take advantage of.

G

Gamer4455

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this is probably a stupid question, but I've seen GTO many times on here, so will someone please tell me what it means.