Good strategy for limping? Or not...?

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The beginners likes to raise all the time, they either fold or raise, almost no limping for them! they raise because they are afraid that the opponents see the flop, they want to win befor the flop coming, or win by bluffing before or after the flop. They have always the wish to bluff their opponents! This is not poker, you have to limp for too much reasons :
1. Your cards are not very strong to raise with them.
2. You have good cards like J-T, but your position is not good to raise with them.
3. avoiding to be reraised, which make you in difficult situation.
4. Sometimes you limp with big hands like A-A if the players are aggressive, so you use the limping as a trick...

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping is rarely the correct play. Especially open limping. JT is not a good hand OOP.
There is a lot of good free info all over the internet. Search Jonathan Little, poker coaching.com, Doug Polk, Upswing poker, Split suit and there are many more. pokerstars School has an extensive free course. Check some of them out.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The beginners likes to raise all the time, they either fold or raise, almost no limping for them! they raise because they are afraid that the opponents see the flop, they want to win befor the flop coming, or win by bluffing before or after the flop. They have always the wish to bluff their opponents! This is not poker, you have to limp for too much reasons :
2. You have good cards like J-T, but your position is not good to raise with them.
4. Sometimes you limp with big hands like A-A if the players are aggressive, so you use the limping as a trick...

terrible advice !!!
raising/folding >>>>>>>>>> limping

your Intention with raising is not that everyone folds and it is not because you are afraid to see a flop, it is because you want to build a pot and get some Chips.
Limping is just weakness, not playing good poker. trust me, you are totally wrong with your opinion About limping and/or raising.

1.) then fold
2.) then fold
3.) if you limp, the Outcome is the same, your Opponent is going to raise. But if you raise first, he is reraising with less Hands and calling or even folding some Hands.
4.) works well in the microstakes, but should not be your Standard play with AA.

if you take a look at #1 and #2 you should see why it's a terrible advice:
You say you don't want to raise a certain Hand because it's not strong enough or out of Position. so why Play a limped pot with a weak and and/or out of Position? this is just wasting your Chips. People will figure out that you are a calling Station and put pressure on you and you will limp fold all your Chips.

I would only limp behind in MP/LP, but NEVER open limp in a pot.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't like to limp. I think that the players who are constantly limping do it only because they know nothing else and have no idea what the basics of playing poker are.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feed my stack from all the limpers who limp-call just to check-fold.

Limping often shows weakness and I exploit that on the daily basis. I punish them both preflop and post flop.

That being said there is a time to limp - I limp smaller pairs to try and set mine - I like to limp less than strong suited Broadway combos from early position - J10, Q10, KJ, QJ - hands that are good enough to raise from late position but are often dominated if you raise them from UTG. They flop reasonably well so I look to limp and see a flop cheap, or limp call and navigate post flop from there.

I would also like to note I NEVER start limping speculative hands without a fairly large stack - calling too many speculative hands (or bleeding, as I call it) will drain you dry with an average or relatively short stack.

So limping rule #1 for me - do not do it very often. #2 have the correct stack for it. #3 have a strategy in mind for the hand before you committ any chips at all. And #4 - know when to stop and just fold! Bleeding your stack off will lose you way more in the long run then it will gain you.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often limp because I like to manage the pot especially when I'm not in position.you also give less information to your opponent on your game. but you take the risk of giving him the opportunity to improve his game. you must know limp at the right time and not overuse it.

NOORI

NOORI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better raise than limp most of the times. Limp is more a strategy to disrupt our patterns.

P

pokerballsaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

If they are not strong enough to raise, are they strong enough to call a raise?

JT isn't really good cards OOP.

If they are going to re-raise a raise, they are going to bet against your limp anyway.

Don't limp with AA. This will hurt you in the long run. We don't want to have too many people see a cheap flop when we hold AA, we aren't just trying to see a cheap flop to set mine.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is true, it is absolutely right, congratulations for the tips!

:secruity:

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
So limping rule #1 for me - do not do it very often. #2 have the correct stack for it. #3 have a strategy in mind for the hand before you committ any chips at all. And #4 - know when to stop and just fold! Bleeding your stack off will lose you way more in the long run then it will gain you.

1.) then fold
2.) then fold
3.) if you limp, the Outcome is the same, your Opponent is going to raise. But if you raise first, he is reraising with less Hands and calling or even folding some Hands.
4.) works well in the microstakes, but should not be your Standard play with AA.

The art of explaining. Nothing to say.:boxing:

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hey
Its important to define LIMPING

56 os is not limping.
AA is limping
So basically if you are holding strong hands that deserve a pre flop raise and you just call the blinds thats limping.

And please explain why would you limp in with strong hands?

If you limp with AA and obviously
You will be called, and after the flop what would you do???

Most times someone would make 2 pairs or str8 or flush draws and ultimately crush your AA.

Limping = A big No No...

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If all you do preflop is raise and fold then you're missing out on a plethora of potential strategies. Depending on the situation and the intent, limping can be a very beneficial tool to have in your toolbox. Everyone is in love with the idea of a check-raise, but you whisper the word limp and you get beaten down for it. What about a limp-raise? It can be a very tricky way of putting opponents out of their comfort zone. And what if you do have a decent hand out of position? Why auto-raise and risk getting put in an unfavorable position where you've committed a sum of chips to the pot, but are now incapable of making the much larger call you're faced with? And what if you're just at a table of aggressive players and you'd prefer to see how they are going to handle the hand before you decide you're going to chip-dump into the pot?

So, yes, there are legitimate reasons for limping even when playing TAG. Now, if you're playing a Loose style then limping is not only possible, but nearly becomes mandatory as you cannot afford to be putting raises in every other pot just to see a lot of hands. Whole nother conversation there.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If all you do preflop is raise and fold then you're missing out on a plethora of potential strategies. Depending on the situation and the intent, limping can be a very beneficial tool to have in your toolbox. Everyone is in love with the idea of a check-raise, but you whisper the word limp and you get beaten down for it. What about a limp-raise? It can be a very tricky way of putting opponents out of their comfort zone. And what if you do have a decent hand out of position? Why auto-raise and risk getting put in an unfavorable position where you've committed a sum of chips to the pot, but are now incapable of making the much larger call you're faced with? And what if you're just at a table of aggressive players and you'd prefer to see how they are going to handle the hand before you decide you're going to chip-dump into the pot?

So, yes, there are legitimate reasons for limping even when playing TAG. Now, if you're playing a Loose style then limping is not only possible, but nearly becomes mandatory as you cannot afford to be putting raises in every other pot just to see a lot of hands. Whole nother conversation there.

sure there are Scenarios where limping is fine, but your Standard playing for Opening should be to raise, and not to open limp.
limping behind with a pp or suited connectors is fine.
also trying to limp/raise in EP with AA/KK.

whenever I see someone limping first in in early Position, it's 95% of the time a weak Hand, otherwise he would raise.
it's really easy to get them off their Hand.

About the 'decent Hand OOP': I would rather raise 1/3 of those Hands than limp 3 out of 3

also limping on an aggressive table will end up in a lot of decesions if you want to limp fold or limp call your weak Hands....

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I changed the title of your thread, because honestly it is really bad advice and will lose people money. I was going to say "over the long run", but no, it will be pretty quickly.

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It can be more profitable to overlimp with small pairs from late position in multiway pots then it is to raise with them, you get good implied odds. Your hand is essentially masked due to your wide range if you hit a set, and the pot will get huge with so many players in it. If you had raised you would be risking more chips thus giving yourself worse odds and you run a high risk of raising into somone with better holdings. An overlimp lets you see a cheap flop but should be reserved for weak preflop hands that can strongly improve on the flop. If you miss on the flop you won't have paid much to see it and you can fold. I think this only applies if enough players are in a pot (if its a heads up pot I don't think the amount you stand to win outweighs your odds of hitting a set so you would lose chips in the long run; I don't know the number of players in a pot where it becomes profitable). You have to read the flop well too if you do this, if an ace hits an uncoordinated board and someone holding an ace thinks they have the nuts you will take down a massive pot.

This is all for overlimping though. Open limping on the other hand is bad advice.

Last edited:
Tmoney999

Tmoney999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
terrible advice !!!
raising/folding >>>>>>>>>> limping

your Intention with raising is not that everyone folds and it is not because you are afraid to see a flop, it is because you want to build a pot and get some Chips.
Limping is just weakness, not playing good poker. trust me, you are totally wrong with your opinion About limping and/or raising.

1.) then fold
2.) then fold

if you take a look at #1 and #2 you should see why it's a terrible advice:
You say you don't want to raise a certain Hand because it's not strong enough or out of Position. so why Play a limped pot with a weak and and/or out of Position? this is just wasting your Chips. People will figure out that you are a calling Station and put pressure on you and you will limp fold all your Chips.

I would only limp behind in MP/LP, but NEVER open limp in a pot.

I agree fully with what is said here, limping is never really positive ev unless limping early to trap. Even that can be risky, I would rather stick to min raises as I do over limping, almost the same thing but you can achieve way more in a hand with a pre-flop raise, even a min raise can gather a lot of information you can use through-out the hand. Limping in my opinion is more of a beginner thing to do over raising every pot. You gather way more information in hands with raises, limping hands become a guessing game unless you are doing so for the main reason to trap with a big hand in horrible position, but that can go wrong from time to time as you may be forced to play a limped pot out of position against many players. Don't limp in my opinion, this is not good poker, its a good way to gather no information going into a hand and only leads to mistakes made in my opinion.