Go with your Instinct or be Mathematical?

H

Hermus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you work out the maths for most standard situations you'll barely have to do any calculations on the table. Then you can use your "instincts" or "reads" to deviate from your foundational strategy.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We dont need to make exact pot odds calculations in real time, but its important to know, what the approximate chances are of completing a flushdraw, an OESD, hitting a gutshot or hitting an overcard. Also what exactly is "instinct"? If its a though process like "I think, he have a flushdraw", then thats not a very good way to think about poker, because its rare, we can narrow the opponent down to just one type of hand.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Undoubtedly, it is better to play in terms of mathematical calculation than instinctively. But if your instincts allow you to increase your bankroll then that's fine. Try to combine these two directions and then I think you are guaranteed success.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't deny the mathematics of poker,but in the end i use my instincts to win! ;)

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dividing the part that wins with instinct by mathematics ...
That is poker.

P

pwalker4201977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I gotta go with my feeling on if I am beat or not. I I seem to know when I am beat n able to get away from the hand. It’s just like when u know that your beat there’s a feeling that I just can’t explain. Maybe im a freak n nobody else gets it.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes. Calculating odds and equity is very simple to do at the table. Use Rule of 4 and 2 to approximate equity.
Although some concepts like MDF are difficult to use practically.

Nochaser

Nochaser

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am an instinctive player and have been trying to get into more mathematical aspect of poker.
How important is Poker Math ? Do you calculate Pot odds , Equity etc every game?
I personally found it very hard to go through all the calculations in online poker. Please, do share what strategies you adopt while playing poker online.

Math is very important I feel that he helps to preserve your chips most of the time. Practicing the math side of it will eventually get quicker over time.

melaniaaachen

melaniaaachen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Believe that always need to maintain a balance. It is definitely important to be able to calculate the moves and be an optimist. I think that pesimists have little luck in life

E

ejsch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
instinct

I think the more you play the better your instinct becomes. that is really what instinct is a total of all our experiances

Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a more instinctive gambler by nature, relying mainly on my intuition and mood, but I know math can help too. Only in addition to this there is also luck)

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go with your gut feeling either way is luck after the flop

sarjdgo

sarjdgo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both, but mathemathical part is like you are aware about that, and the instinct, is like when you know the players gamestyle or smoething like that

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do both but I lean towards my instincts. My instincts are very sharp and I have trained myself to have very good reading ability for tells both live and online (yes, there are a lot of online tells that you can pick up on with some careful training and observation), so I trust them even when the math tells me that I should do the opposite. It really has served me well and the times I use the math when my instincts are telling me NO NO NO...I always regret following the math.

RParris

RParris

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Both

Playing a lot of hands and having good instincts built out of good habits is key to poker. Math also is needed to fully understand well… where you stand lol.

D

Dandadandan

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am an instinctive player and have been trying to get into more mathematical aspect of poker.
How important is Poker Math ? Do you calculate Pot odds , Equity etc every game?
I personally found it very hard to go through all the calculations in online poker. Please, do share what strategies you adopt while playing poker online.

If my gut/instinct/whatever is telling me something I almost always go with it because it's more often correct than not, at least in live games. I don't always have such a feeling though, so math is there to make those decisions for me.