Getting reads on players

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

This is my first post on a poker forum so my appolagies if I come across as a complete newb! (Because I am) lol

Anyway I’m hoping to dive into the cash games micro stakes next week, I’ve been doing some research and read a few books as well as playing some online games with free chips.

However my question is, how would you guys suggest to get good reads on a player without a HUD, I’ve read about the different types of players and it seems nits and donkeys are easiest to get the read but how do you distinqest the rest.

Any help would be massively appreciated

Many thanks:D

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something seems to me that in online games it will be difficult to do, namely to study the players. Here a person can have one style of play, in 10 minutes it will change dramatically.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you do not use a HUD to automatically collect statistics for you you should do it manually. Best is to monitor what players do and take notes in the poker client which you can use in future if you meet them on the tables.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can get good reads on irregular bet timings and what cards you have seen the player show in past hands. You just need to pay more attention without a hud.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you do not use a HUD to automatically collect statistics for you you should do it manually. Best is to monitor what players do and take notes in the poker client which you can use in future if you meet them on the tables.

You can get good reads on irregular bet timings and what cards you have seen the player show in past hands. You just need to pay more attention without a hud.
Ditto. I take lots of notes and when my notes get too lengthy I summarize them. Slowplayers, bluffers. LAGs, nits & blind defenders are the easiest to identify.

One payoff comes from noting the guys who routinely chase something and then bluff on the river when they miss, e.g., always 1/2 pot when a bluff but check/raise when not. Most people don't make that bluff move most of the time so when you see someone do it more than once, it's like money in the bank.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Welcome to our community. This is the best place to learn poker and improve your skills. If you are a beginner, I recommend that you play only in freerolls. After you get at least some experience you will be able to start playing tournaments with a minimum buy-in. But I do not recommend you to play cash games. This is a very quick way to spend your bankroll.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi guys,

This is my first post on a poker forum so my appolagies if I come across as a complete newb! (Because I am) lol

Anyway I’m hoping to dive into the cash games micro stakes next week, I’ve been doing some research and read a few books as well as playing some online games with free chips.

However my question is, how would you guys suggest to get good reads on a player without a HUD, I’ve read about the different types of players and it seems nits and donkeys are easiest to get the read but how do you distinqest the rest.

I, myself, do not use any HUD software either so I can understand this issue. I started playing live long ago so that's how I play online. Putting an average player on a hand starts w/the size of the BB's and their position relative to the buy-in. The cheaper the buy-in the less-serious players are going to take the game; that's just been my experience. But to answer the question of reading a player is the amount of experience one has. Basically an average player will limp or min-raise w/small pairs, weak aces, or connectors up to mid position. From the 2nd cut-off to the button they might raise 2.5-4 times the BB w/these same holdings.
If a player raises 2.5-4 x BB utg to mid-pos they usually indicate a stronger hand such as pkt-9's or a suited A-10 and up. A more experience player or big-stack might go fishing w/AA, KK, QQ or AKstd in an early position, meaning they will bet just a min-raise to antagonize a weaker hand to 3-bet or shove. In late position it's a little more difficult since the hand variance is limited. After that it takes some skill to determine whether or not to call a 3-bet from the blind w/std-connectors or a weak ace.
If you have the time and means might I suggest reading a book called Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen. It's his hand analysis during the Aussie Millions trny back in 2006 (if I'm correct). He even speculates his play according to what he believes players may be holding. It's quite in depth and my favorite poker book on tournaments. The forward is written by the late-great Chip Reese. Enjoy and good luck.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
Tell you, indeed its very dificult, al least for me, to read players
But, after a few plays you will be able to detect fishes from good players
Also, it depends on your day
Rgds

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Welcome to our community. This is the best place to learn poker and improve your skills. If you are a beginner, I recommend that you play only in freerolls. After you get at least some experience you will be able to start playing tournaments with a minimum buy-in. But I do not recommend you to play cash games. This is a very quick way to spend your bankroll.

Thank you for the warning welcome, much appreciated. I have been playing the free rolls and I think I may need to play them a little more to improve. I was going to play sit and go tournaments, heads up? But then I thought of playing cash games instead with 6 players maxi Do you have any views on the heads up? Cheers again :D

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Welcome to CC! You ask an interesting question because it is easy yet complicated. Hopefully as newb you are sticking to the freerolls and small stakes because these are fertile training grounds.

The way I read players is by examining each hand in the notes (I do not use a HUD). You want to examine their betting patterns: Do they raise often from any position or only from' certain positions, do they take time before betting or is it pretty fast, do they always raise the same amount...i.e. 3x the BB preflop, do they always bet the flop no matter what carda hit? There are a million other tells you can pick up on when you take notes like this. Also, very important is to update your notes as you are playing. There are very tricky players out there that change their styles or make adjustments to their game as they are also learning and growing in the game.

Betting patterns are usually the best tell. If a guy is entering with a min raise for a whole bunch of pots and suddenly he is sticking in a 4 or 5x the BB raise, then something is fishy...usually he is very strong (although I do see players in freerolls use this strategy with incredibly weak hands like 52o). Along with the betting patterns, you need to have situational awareness, is this the first few levels of a tournament when players are very loose and will raise with any two or is this the middle rounds of a MTT buyin or are you in a ring game and how long has this player been in the game. The key to winning poker is not the cards, it's learning your opponents.

Good luck and please keep posting.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Without a HUD the only other software help is to take notes on opponents. Historical notes can give you some idea of villain's range.

I also like to pay attention and just "see" how often the villain is opening or calling - and in what positions. And....does the villain win with his tactics and strategy?

Good luck !

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watch hands that you are not in, if you see a player limp fold almost every hand- take a note, if you see a player bet pot on every street with AA- take a note, etc.