Status
Not open for further replies.
CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So my question is are freeroll's good or bad for me? Should I avoid them or take advantage of them? And do you think privately held freeroll's are any different? By privately held I mean Cards Chat freerolls, pokerowned freeroll's, etc. Thanks in advance as always!

G

GonnaFold

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Free is always good, these are all I play currently but they are giving me a feel for certain poker sites, if you have the time take advantage.

tazer

tazer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a very good way to try to grind out a bankroll without depositing. It is also a way for you to get used to the games online and whatnot. Privately held freerolls are a little easier to cash in while the open site ones are lots harder mainly because the amount of people involved. If you dont have 2-6 hours to devote to one its tough, but they are a good place to start.

steffdbird

steffdbird

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Free rolls are good practice don't fall into playing like a donk trap though you may cash a few freerolls but you will find normal games harder.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls this a lost time, a lot of them do not have to pay, when playing more than a thousand people , game was not serious, and you do not learn nothing. About CC freerolls , them you can play and players not many but it is better not to spend a lot of time and start playing micro limits,,

warturtle7

warturtle7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can play good poker with everyone else playing weak poker you some times cash but if they are not private you will need a lot of time and luck. So, if they are not private they are a last resource

S

Swickster007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't lose on a freeroll, so why not take advantage of it. Even if you only win a dollar, that's a free 1 dollar tournament entry to let it ride on. The private freerolls are more fun if you continually play them because you'll eventually see the same players over and over and possibly make some friends. They also tend to have less players than the public freerolls which get up to 300-1000 people at times. But either way, it's a good source of free entertainment :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have the time for open freerolls, why not by all means? You might score and adds to your BR.
Difference of open and private is the number of registrants.
Open usually takes long while private is not.

LastSon76

LastSon76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a big fan of rerolls, mostly because it's good, free practice against a variety of skill levels, and there's always the chance of making the money.

cheers

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Certain freerolls I find are a waste of time (thinking of the ones with 8000 plus entrants with very small payouts but there are some excellent freerolls on certain sites. Usually private games in conjunction with a certain site or something

rodrigoudf

rodrigoudf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are good for start a bankroll without depositing.

Mindset

Mindset

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No reason to not play freerolls unless your br is to the point that they don't help.

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't bother with the large field, low pay, free rolls. For instance, I think Merge has $25 free rolls with 1ooo entries. No thanks. I have better use for my time. I will play the forum free rolls, especially Cardschat, cause the money to player ratio allows for reasonable chance at payback. There are other forums that have $5 free rolls. Nope. Two hours to get 34 cents. That said, don't play them to get better at poker. The play you encounter has no resemblance to the play at games with money invested. Cardschat, again, is an exception. These games don't play like a donkfest. I like cardschat.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have time to spend but dont have money to buy in then why don't you play public freeroll? Would it damage your game if you play freerolls, no. Would it benefit you more to deposit and start playing buyin, probably yes but, can someone tell me what is the difference between freeroll and $1 rebuy with 13k field?
i would say that math would go like this buyin>freeroll>playmoney

CrockPot

CrockPot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the great feedback everybody!

B

babi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are good if you have the petiance.
prive ones are usually with better chances beacuse of fewer players then normal ones

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on your values / goals and on the specific freerolls. The open ones with hundreds or even thousands of players playing for a small pool aren't worth it to some, myself included. But other players are content to play when their EV is a few cents. Fine for them.

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other than forum or league games, free roll poker is generally just good for practice. Private games are challenging and very often there are very good players for competition. I like the satellites that offer seats to larger tourneys that my bankroll wont accomidate. I try to play in those where I can find them.

BoddJonar

BoddJonar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are planning from building something out of nothing a freeroll is always helpful. The problem is the huge fields, but with patience and skill one can build a decent roll from it.

AugustWest

AugustWest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think "open" freerolls are fine, just have to learn how to deal with massive fields. CC Freerolls are the real thing however!

P

PokahAA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are so good for new players because there are plenty of sharks , and if you enter that pool without experience i think you'll be eaten so fast.
Freerolls is guide to poker game i think.+

T

torosanti012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Goood because they're free but also bad because players can be so random and you will be depending on luck a lot of the time. Private freerolls are slightly easier. Players can do maniac moves in freerolls and not care because they're not losing anything.

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you don't consider opportunity cost, then freerolls are +EV. You can't lose ($) even if you lose.

I imagine you mean that freerolls can be bad for you if you get into bad habits, but just be self aware and you'll be fine.

Just treat freerolls as a good laugh at the moronic level of play and keep a mental tally of how hands should be properly played.
---

PS, when running bad at cash or SNG, whatever you normally play, freerolls are a good escape.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Me being a freeroll whore, I just love them.

The good thing about them, they are free and as long as you don't join the donks and play only to beat them, you can learn a great strategy playing them.

CC freeroll is the best freeroll out there, you will learn a lot more from these freerolls as you are playing better players and the more you play the more you learn.

I haven't deposited in any of the sites yet and before I joined CC I had .05 in PS which I had for years lol.

I have now got my BR to $100.78 and this is all from playing the CC freeroll.

So you see, freerolls are good, especially if you are skint like me :)

F

Friede1988

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
guess freeroll tourneys are good! u can sign in 4 free and win real money, unfortunatly it's gambling without serious not at all, but...netherless freeroll is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.