Freerolls- a practice in bad habits?

onebigblue

onebigblue

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i do freerolls occasionally just like i sometimes play the lottery .i do get upset when someone goes all in with garbage and i fold a descent hand be cause i didnt have a read yet because they keep switching table s id rather play a 1 or 2 table tourney then u get a chance to get a read otherwise it is just a lot of luck

N

Newf_834

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
onebigblue. That is true freerols you have to play the cards and not the players for awhile because of not being able to get a read on players because of the steady table switching. The best freerolls to get in if you want to actually play poker are the ones I have found on tigergaming.com. they are really cheap freerols of only $10 and $50 but they are limited to just 100 players so the players actually play and not go all in right away.

B

BDMK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find any tourney play, freerolls included, to be an opportunity for me to test and improve my game.

any 'adversary' condition just makes me be on my toes and try to get better.

sure many ppl play 'slots poker' on freerolls. but then again, many do the same on most of the rebuy-type (super)satellite tourneys, particularly during the first hour/before rebuys/addons end. so, if you never had any such experience, you might not do well in your next rebuy wsop or similar supersat.

C

CutCard4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that freerolls are good practice for patience and starting hand selection. You just need to be aware that it IS a freeroll, and you WILL suffer bad beats. If you can learn to differentiate between the bad beats and the bad calls, you will have learned a cheap lesson via the FR.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls allow people with no money (like me) to play with the possiblity of winning something more then monopoly money. the play is loose, but it gets better as you go along, in my expirence

P

pagemaster25

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
habits

i totally agree because you get a good open hand like ak suited and go all in and the guy next to you gose all in with 2 3 unsuited catches and wins when any average player would fold what im trying to say is its harder to win with crazy players

T

teach21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls..

freerolls usually have tons of terrible players...its basically a waiting game...till you have the nuts

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I didn't start playing in freerolls until after I had been playing for money for about a year (online). So I have to say no, it is not a good way to study the game if you are just starting out. The style of play is not at all like that at real money games. It can be frustrating because of the "noobs" and the "fish", and the just plain idiots, but I just try to adjust my game accordingly.

But having been playing exclusively in freerolls for a few months, it was an adjustment going back to the real money games...think I am finally starting to come back around! lol If you play your cards right, you can make yourself some free dough, and that my friends is the biggest appeal of freerolls: the possiblility of getting something for nothing. Just good old human nature I suppose.

J

justinu7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls

i agree with you on that...at first everyone just goes all in wit a good hand and stuff. but when it comes down to not a lot of ppl...everyone plays right because they want to be in the money...and the final tables are always great

M

mikeychips22

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i don't agree with that becuase poker is poker if your good enough you should be able to beat out all the idiots

B

bluffking21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like freerolls when your playing w/ smart people.... but when your playing idoits... they can be brutal

T

TWolf2006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont care if you play 5, 10, 20, 50 or 100 buyins or freerolls, theres idiots in everyone of these types of tournaments and you will suffer bad beats at every level.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why is it that the same players who are "fish" when someone beats them suddenly become "idiots" or "morons" when they get lucky? :p

K

km3_16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
MOST of the people that play in the freerolls play like jackasses because of the fact that its a FREEROLL, and it doesnt cost them anything to play like fools. I've played in a few noticed that you get a wide range of people. It all depends what table you are on. You could be on a decent table with people tryint to win or with retards who just wanna go all in for laughs

V

venturer49

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a pretty inexperienced player. Probably a beginner by the standards of most of you. I played a Depositors' freeroll on Noble the other day, and played pretty much supertight, at least at the beginning. There were about 350 entrants, and I got to 39 before being knocked out. Interestingly, on my final table, there was still one sitout...So I've concluded that for most of the time, you can just wait for the maniacs to knock each other out (though one problem is that you'll be joined at the end by one or two of them with mega chip stacks,which gets hard to beat if you haven't had enough action because of playing tight).

I suppose I could have done as well, with a bit of luck, using the sitout button, but I wouldn't have learned much and I agree with bubbasbestbabe that you can learn something useful from any form of poker, even if it's only not to play it again!

W

WillWiggly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure I Play the Freerolls

I get beat by the crazies and the 'All inners' with trash, and I expect that. It doesn't mean I have to lower myself to their level of play. I like the 'sit n go's', and the paid tourneys a heck of a lot more. People don't like to lose money, so their play is better in the money games.(most of the time) I like a good game. If you are a disciplined player and don't get caught up in the whacky carnival sideshow that often arises you'll do OK. Even if the daring king superfreak of all Pokerdom does win, so what. You will probably find this same clown at one of the real money tables having his butt handed to him. His question to himself will be "How come I'm not winning?" Are these guys in league with each other?" So play a free roll, every once in a while. Your going to find the same kind of cowboys in the brick and mortar establishment as well. Peace.

T

TWolf2006

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are also a good way of keeping a low budget bankroll alive. Or starting a bankroll on a new site.

woodsy44

woodsy44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freerolls because i haven't had money on any accounts so i need to win some free money to start me off. This has worked well for me. Once (from nothing) i won £160 which is about $300 and another time i did the same upto £150 which is just under $300. So they are quite useful to those who cant be arsed to transfer money from their account.
When i first began i would just go all in and only continue if i doubled up. This got me nowhere but now am doing better. I have won one and come in prize positions many times now which i then use on the tables.
So they are good for those with no money on their accounts.

:ridinghor

Last edited:
T

Theocpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I play on Absolute and I love their freerolls! I think it is great practice for anyone. Even though their prizes are terrible they do have 40 freerolls a day which is tons of practice at the souls of your fingerprints. Ok so let me get to your question. You are wrong and right. Yes it is stupid to see these guys all in, but all you need to do is wait, fold a couple hands, and then play. Usually that wipes away the people who go all in. Then you could have a good freeroll tourney.

G

Galvan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You take some brutal suckouts in freerolls. I was once dealt AA in the very first hand of a freeroll. A guy called with 4-6 offsuit. He filled in a straight. I continue to play freerolls because in spite of the beats it is a good way to build a bankroll if you don't want to deposit into a site. As a result of a couple of freeroll cashes I have $30 to play with on a site where I have'nt made a depoait yet.

Freeroll Passwords