Freeroll Tournament Strategy

C

catalin alexandrov

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freeroll is very difficult for me to play as many opponents Nusi realize how important it is to play for me and play really bad!

Samuel Lee

Samuel Lee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play real tight in the begging.
When you are short stack be more aggressive.
Middle stack tight-agressive.
High stack you can play a wider range of cards against short stack players and try to knock them out, against mid stack+ more tight, you don't want to lose your advantage.

zubastik

zubastik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a lot of strategies, but the game is always careful with the attacks on the 2-hand Jacks or cards, such as the K D and above, there is, of course, accidents, and even the AA can be killed on the flop, but I think this method is the most correct

M

mcsizzle831

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i see most slow rolling, and others once stacking, oven timeout everyhand to insure they make the money.

R

Robb17

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll

A-try to double or triple up in the first level, gamble gamble its a freeroll try to get a big stack right away.I wont do this unless dealt AA or KK. or play it normal and try to chip up problem with normal play is a you have to avoid the big stacks like land mines. play evens out after the first hour if you can last

B

Broon1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wait for a big hand and just shove all in you'll get called. Don't ever bluff early or middle of tournament

N

nafanyalg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in the beginning of the game until the end of late registration and will not pass 25 minutes of the time the tournament is to play very tight . Since the beginning of so many maniacs , which increases the risk .

P

Petycash

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on the stage of the tournament and how invested you are in the freeroll (how much you want to cash). If you're always in it to win it, play tight at first while seeing as many hands as cheaply as possible. So many people will bluff or go in with rag hands, it's easy to triple up or more in the first hour. If you don't care about the tourney, go all in along with others to get lucky or leave early.

S

skyllet

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play safe

Play safe, and play premium hands in early game..

N

nafanyalg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what is the ag- gressive game ? I understand that it is a lot of bluffing , which is very easy to get there . So what's the point agresivno play , or like a maniac ?

Last edited:
thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i really take notes for first couple months in free events my notes are pretty good on players and yes i find bingo guys also who might be better players when get a stack. My questioning of this is still to this day i see the all ins with anything i see these same guys do it and never win or majority of time not win. Its hard when you get down to 30-40 players and everyone has a decent amount of chips the cream raises to the top most times. So be careful in that time frame I have talked to a lot of players who have issue in that time frame even having the chip lead sometimes you get fed cards and is no choice but to play and a bad beat is what it is:) I do wonder though on most bingo players to me this shows they cannot win from behind. I like coming in behind before they see me coming. Id rather play stronger late than early. Sometimes im too tight yesterday did the 11 cent acr event 7pm and won 35 cents and lost at that range for 3rd in chips jj to qq villian hit quads. Yet id not play that different. Pick your times and i cant stress enough do not let what others are doing affect your game play. IMHO if that is happening youve already lost.

T

TheImperator

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what is the ag- gressive game ? I understand that it is a lot of bluffing , which is very easy to get there . So what's the point agresivno play , or like a maniac ?

Playing aggressively means that if you're going to play a hand, you play it strong. It isn't "a lot of bluffing."

You ever see how at a freeroll, with a 9-man table, and 6 people just call the blinds to see a flop? That's NOT playing aggressive. Those people are playing a loose PASSIVE game.

If it's good enough to be getting into the pot first, you should be raising. And remember, you need a much better hand to call a raise than you do to make one.

There is a ton of books and internet literature on playing a tight, aggressive game -- its beyond the scope of just this post.

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Plays with care, patience, play strong monsters cards, pay little to projects, and pulls the rest, at least at the beginning of the tournament.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
At the beggining of the tournament if I have ,QQ, KK, AA , AK I raise heavily and prepare to go all in .I also use JJ at this stage to shove,it's a freeroll tournament ,many play speculative and trash hands . AQs AQo a little more carefully , but against one player ,a bit later in the tournament , i shove .
I limp with AJso ,small pairs , suited connectors if possible .
Later , in the middle phase , I play more normally, the position , with raises , but if I got reraised I shove at once with monster hands , AQs,AQo, I raise KQso AJso, but if reraised I fold . I limp with small pairs , if raised i fold them , I bet with bigger pairs and if raised I decide that moment what to do .

Nikolay23

Nikolay23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play very tight and when i get nice hand just go all in,someone can call even with bad hand.Don't try to bluff on freerolls, only in the late stages of the game.

sofren

sofren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of freerols in my short poker career and i think i em good in this type of tournament. Strategy depend from tournament to tournament in my case. First how much time one level takes. If levels increase very fast you must be agressive. How time of levels going up you agression l think must be going down. In the early phase of freeroll tournament or some low buy in tournaments you must wait good hand becose many recreative players are playing freeroll poker. Advice: dont bluff in early phase, when tournaments are dowing to small number of players you must change you strategy. This is strategy how l play some freerols or low buyins tournaments, other poker players probably have their strategies.

S

stevenparker91

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've made the FT a few times in that tourney. I played very tight to begin and as my stack grew I could loosen up a bit. I usually base my play off the table dynamics, if guys are being crazy and making a lot of raises I tighten up and punish them with monsters. If the table is being a bunch of nit's I play the opposite. Just don't risk too much on marginal situations and you should be good

K

Kdjb

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hold tight till the lunatics get eliminated or tighten up on a larger stack then play your normal game!

M

Mircea Craciun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight aggressive. Lots of call machines on these types of tournaments.
Hit a hand, extract maximum value, avoid large pots with marginal hands.

smoked100000

smoked100000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i go for the all in jammen startagy at acr 10 dollar free rolls just wait till you get a hand and jam if you get a good stack then play otherwise keep jammin but they happen every 30 min so why not , is the way i look at it

T

Tomioto3095

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like some people said, there is a lot of player in those tournaments that shove without nothing, like 97o, 9Jo. So, i think the best way to play is tight, waiting for good hands and the position.

G

Gektor610

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gektor 610

You can play tight, but I think before playing tight try to double up...then it is easier to play with bigger stak

G

Gektor610

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gektor 610

A lot of people just go all in and win lose quick

liverpool52

liverpool52

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stick to the same rules as in normal tournament

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight aggressive. Don't bother bluffing unless you are sure your opponent will fold.