Freeroll tactics

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In freerolls, early stages anyway, the old maxim "tight is right, tighter is righter" applies IMHO.

Middle stages, open up your range a little but be careful in early positions.

By the time the bubble is near you are, mostly down to people that have some poker skills and at least think about what they, and you, are doing so you can play more poker.

Just my 2c.
^^^trust this guy, he crushes CC freerolls, and thats harder than normal donkaments

tight is def. right,
loosen deeper in or when you have a stack,
dont get into big multiway pots
be able to fold a good hand if your unsure you've got the best (that includes AA)
patience patience patience

if you can adjust to the players style and use position,
also value bet your made hands
its not hard to cash regularly, and get your occasional deepruns/final tables
(Ive done it on a dozen sites+ and go deep regularly)

if you can play pokerstars, their pokerschool league games are a good experience- much better quality of game (careful 1st hourish cuz there's still the allin rag donks)
wait for opportune moments and strike!
gl

M

MichaelFoerster

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll tournaments are very popular amongst online players, these tournaments are very tricky and popular, play a lot of freeroll and play them well, there are some new freerolls are provided by different online poker site, you can play any of the game from here. Freerolls are commonly played for fun.

Henry Minute

Henry Minute

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll tournaments are very popular amongst online players, these tournaments are very tricky and popular, play a lot of freeroll and play them well, there are some new freerolls are provided by different online poker site, you can play any of the game from here. Freerolls are commonly played for fun.
What does your response have to do with Free-Roll tactics/strategy?

I do realise that you are keen to build your post count but do remember that they have to be quality posts.

S

shawkid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play very loose the first half hour of freerolls. If the cards are rolling my way I usually end up in first or second place at the first break. Then I change gears and play tight. Its a freeroll so I have nothing to lose.

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying to build a bankroll from freerolls as well.
Been playing $10 gtd freerolls (lol) for several weeks and haven't been able to make the money yet. Top 10 get paid out of about 3 or 4 hundred players. Am I bad or is this normal?

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends from freeroll type - if it's standart freeroll with 50$ prize pool and 3-4k entrants then you should just wait good cards and try get fast double-triple up.
If it's normal freeroll 100$+ prize pool, >200 entrants then play like you are playing tournament with real money buy in.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been trying to build a bankroll from freerolls as well.
Been playing $10 gtd freerolls (lol) for several weeks and haven't been able to make the money yet. Top 10 get paid out of about 3 or 4 hundred players. Am I bad or is this normal?
very normal, its a hard game with so many entrants, maniacs, donks...
but if you try and improve your game here (which WILL happen if you stick around) you will find you can rundeep regularly and even final table/win more than just a few times
gl

@ shawkid, not really the way to win, but hey what have ya lost I guess

I play all games to win irregardless of prize and entrants (well usually lol).
If you play a solid game with the right decisions you do well
if you try and learn and improve you will do better

if you think its just a freeroll and play not understanding the depths of the game and how to adjust and play accordingly at each table at all stages of the game,
you will likely never win, and if you do Id bet its because you donked out the real players,
and chances of you cashing regularly will never happen
(like it does for many members here, who mostly all learned/improved by using this forum)
gl

B

brokenlung911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl with that do you know what states are allowed to play carbon now?

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
todays game, see, easy;)
2a6757e94cc67c387bbc466e546eef14.gif

REALITYPOKER

REALITYPOKER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also prefer to stay tight early in the freeroll tournaments maintain a strong table image (Not that a lot of the donks will be patient or care about this) But you can get max value on your hand. Play aggressive and always beware of you position at the tables. Once the "strong" table image has been established and you have knocked out a few players, you can start making late position steals if you only have one or less limpers in front of you when the antes start becoming part of the game. This theory tends to work pretty well. I am not against just staying TAG the whole way thru, but you may find yourself low on chips when the bubble is close.

C

ChipsOwnerRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The freeroll's rules are always the same. Stay tight in first minutes, play just good start hands, don't bluff because is not the moment for it and be careful to players who goes all-in easy. When you think is the momemt to be more agressive, do it.
Good luck!

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone. First freeroll went alright, placed 200 something out of 5000 for $0.54. Not much, but I'll see where I'm at after all of them are finished.

GotabigSet

GotabigSet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Dont be afraid to play VERY tight in the 1st hour
2. PROTECT your hands.. You will take Badbeats, but make people look silly for calling AA preflop w/ j10, even if they beat u.(I like to take it down asap)
3. Loosen up at the "super bubble time"(this is 2x as many people as cash) when 50% will cash, you should be pushing with some low suited connectors at times. From my experience 3rd in the pot with jack squat wins alot. lol but true I have countless bad beats, and Ive dealt out a few as well.
4. When you cash, set a new goal, put into perspective how many people you beat for the cash, then how hard it will be to do it again... now look at what pays 2x what the low pays, and set your seights on it.
5. Most freerolls will take over 2hrs to cash, some not turbos are 3 - 4 hrs. take breaks. when you win a hand, step away, even if you fold a good hand, it may have lost.

I like to think of Dori from finding nemo "just keep swimming..."

There are many more and I will post them another day.

Hope this helps
~GotaBigSet

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone. First freeroll went alright, placed 200 something out of 5000 for $0.54. Not much, but I'll see where I'm at after all of them are finished.

$0.01 is better than $0.00, and even $0.00 is better than -$0.01!

sergios

sergios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when a free play you have to have patience! premium and play cards. the free almost get good bubble. at first all allin and not throw comveniente enter! sure you remove any card with garbage.

S

somersetlad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yep patience in the beginning, looser in the middle, reckless in the end lol

D

dxjamb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My strategy is simple : Play like nothing to lose !! (ofc, it's freeroll xD)
On Early Stage, push all in with smt like 99+, KQo+, KJs+, A8s+, ATo+,..etc etc
A lot of fish will call you with trash hand like 82o, T3o,...and ofc, free chip is coming to you, lol
It's work for me most of the time :D

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
3 ways you can go about this just like any mtt
1 - be ultra loose aggressive to build a stack early and dominate. the donks usually go this route. they play atc poker
2 - play like a nit and let the donks bet for you once you have that premium hand. just play solid poker as you will encounter bad beats.
3 - play tight aggressive, but also mix in loose aggressive.

in these freerolls, it's not really worth it unless you go deep/final table so i'd say #3 is your best bet. you need to start building a stack early as opposed to grinding your way just because it's not worth playing several hours for a buck.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stay tight early and get aggresive in the middle phase to steal some blind in order to survive.

O

oreska7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play very tight in begining...when you do have big hand go allin. Your gial is to double up when ecer you can...dont mind bkinds ir other player stack. With some luck you will get to prize poll :)
Never bluff ;)

Z

Zombie_card3

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be agressive wuth bad players an be carefull with goods ;)