Freeroll strategy

S

sandromanet2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Assuming that the freeroll is not a normal tournament, simply because it is full of crazy and suicidal people. Which strategy do you consider the best to reach ITM?

forrow10

forrow10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play the best you cant. Do not enter in the rush to move all in the inicials hands. Evaluate your odds preflop very carrefully and dont overvalue those too much.. Freeroll used to have a lot of rise callers... At the begging some tight play used to be profitable...
When the tourney get a 60% of player you can find the game more comfortable without that amount of suicidal people. XD

shim36

shim36

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like it's better to play it tight.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest strategy tips for freerolls:

** Play tight-aggressive

** Value bet anytime you think your hand is likely best

** Increase aggression as you get deeper

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls need to be taken seriously, just like regular tournaments for a dollar or two, and there are a lot of idiots here and there

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not all freerolls are the same, there isn't a one-size-fits-all approach.

This is the same with any stake level, format or variant of poker.

The best advice I can give you is to focus on your game, making the best decision in each given circumstance and be observant.

The more attention you're able to pay to how your opponents at any given table are playing, the better equipped you will be later for making decisions and applying strategies against those players.

You generally can't go too far wrong if you carefully apply the Phil Ivey suggestion of 'do the opposite of what the rest of the table is doing', i.e. if the table is playing snug, be more aggressive. If the table is LAGfest, play tighter until you've got the goods.

Be receptive, pick your battles, you'll get there! :wink:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excerpt drawing of premium hands do not rush anywhere force events .It's hard to say what will help you, but do not forget about your luck without it, too, nowhere.And so the whole game is the same as in regular tournaments.

S

sandromanet2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play the best you can. Don't be in a hurry to move everything in the starting hands. Evaluate your pre-flop odds very carefully and don't overvalue them. The freeroll used to have a lot of upside callers ... In the beginning, some tight game used to be profitable ...
When the tournament gets 60% of the player, you can find the game more comfortable without that amount of suicides. XD

I usually practice the tight game at the beginning of the tournament, the problem is when I play with promising hands, I always go all-in in the face. And really, when we get to the bubble, the game becomes more rational.
Thank you for the tips.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think playing more valuable hands is a good strategy, since most players invent a lot.

S

sandromanet2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest strategy tips for freerolls:

** Play conservatively aggressive

** Value bet whenever you think your hand is probably the best

** Increase aggression as you get deeper

I follow this game model the problem happens a bad beat, today there was a giant pot with QQ, on the preflop button I made 2.5x BB the villain at the beginning of the table who had made the limp call. Flop 2-4-3. The villain checks - 42% of the pot, the villain raises. Turn 4 - villain checks - 54% of the pot, villain raises. River JO villain checks me 54% of the pot, the villain all-in, me all-in. showdown, the villain presents A-4, that is, set of 4.

S

sandromanet2

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not all freerolls are equal, there is no approach unique to everyone .

The same goes for any bet level, format or variant of poker.

The best advice I can give is to focus on your game, making the best decision in every circumstance and being an observer .

The more attention you can pay to how your opponents at any table are playing, the better equipped you will be later to make decisions and apply strategies against these players.

You can't usually go too far if you carefully apply Phil Ivey's suggestion to ' do the opposite of what the rest of the table is doing', that is, if the table is playing comfortable, be more aggressive. If the table is LAGfest, play more carefully until you have the goods.

Be receptive, choose your battles, you will get there! :wink:

Thanks for the tips I will work more with my attention focused on the game. Work harder on the interpretation of the game and the attitudes of the villains. Do you have a video or book to refer me?

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The best strategy for any freeroll is to stay patient, disciplined and not play with junk. In this case, you have a chance to increase your bankroll. :)

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for the tips I will work more with my attention focused on the game. Work harder on the interpretation of the game and the attitudes of the villains. Do you have a video or book to refer me?
This is a great place to start..!

Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days

Other books I'd recommend for MTT strategy would be 'Excelling at No Limit Holdem', 'Kill Phil' and 'Kill Everyone'.

Although the last two might be a bit dated these days.

My recommendation is to devour all material you can get your hands on and see what works best for you. :wink:

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Assuming that the freeroll is not a normal tournament, simply because it is full of crazy and suicidal people. Which strategy do you consider the best to reach ITM?

Tight early, but willing to get all in with "strong" hands

If the table is crazy i'm happy to get all in with AJ+, KQ, 77+
Often you'll be a favorite and even when you lose, it's a freeroll, there will be another one

Bet REALLY BIG when you have a strong hand after the flop,
Freeroll players don't pay as much attention to bet size and often will call overbets and such,
Use that to your advantage.

Once all the crazy players have busted out, revert back to your normal tournament strategy, and just play it like a typical tournament. Typically when you get deeper the players will be treated the game semi serious, so you can apply your usual tournament concepts and expcet a good result.

Oh and of course... win your all ins :icon_sant

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watch out for good pot odds.
Not only do we see too many all-ins in freerolls, there are also too many people that just call preflop...
Sometimes when you are in Late position the pot is so big from 4 to 6 limpers that calling is profitable with any 2 cards...
These multiway pots can help you win good pots without having Top hole cards.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is to wait for the first break. At the beginning of the game everybody jams. We cannot control the flip. After the first break things will get back to normal. Everybody gets tight. That is my observation

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend playing a tight aggressive ABC poker in a freeroll. Don't try to make any fancy plays on people unless you know the opponent. They likely won't understand what's going on.

Later, is about making players uncomfortable. Put them in situations they have to make tough decisions. They will start to question themselves and make more mistakes.

L

Lexand

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main strategy in a freeroll is to be lucky ... :D

Most players play any2 cards, and even playing only the top hands of the range we can still be eliminated by them.

At least with me this is how it happens.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Use freerolls for experience. Try things out you are maybe a little uncomfortable with, just to get the muscle memory in place. Push your comfort zone. Be intentional about what you are practicing each time out, and look for opportunities as you play.

J

Joselmb31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is in the early levels only to get into the strong hands, always betting, never bluffing. In general, at those levels there are players who will pay 2.5BB as well as 15BB, and even go all in; That is why they are levels in which we must take advantage of to make our pot grow as much as possible for the next levels. At levels 12 onwards, the range can be opened a little more.

A

ayrlerson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In order to reach ITM

Para chegar ao ITM a melhor forma é estar bem consolidado no torneio e avaliar cada adversário, uma dica (que uso como experiência) é não ir all-in se não conseguir mais informações do adversário e se você não tem uma mão muito forte. manter o jogo equilibrado levará você ao ITM e obterá ótimos resultados.

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is to be patient at first and try to go all in with a good hand versus few people, since the more people there, the more chances of losing, I think the freeroll is mere luck, if you can fold fast to play the hands that you want to advance.:icon_sant:icon_sant

B

BohRhaps

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My strategy is to be patient at first and try to go all in with a good hand versus few people, since the more people there, the more chances of losing, I think the freeroll is mere luck, if you can fold fast to play the hands that you want to advance.:icon_sant:icon_sant
Heya i agree especially at the very start of freerolls when the blinds are low the fish constantly shove all in and the others join in for the 'luck' of winning a big pot...I can have pocket Aces preflop and guaranteed even if its just 3 or 4 against me i mostly lose lol...can be annoying wen it is the fish at the table that beats u wi some crap hand but thats just poker...would rather go out early in a freeroll than play for hours just to bubble wi AA against a bigstack bully fish just cos they can cover ur chipstack...anyway wonder what happened to the FR password the night?

S

StreetPhd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Early on I try to see as many flops as possible.
This takes some patience but if you are in position it will happen often enough to get a little lucky.
I try to avoid the all-in Bingo style but have often drawn into that crap.