Freeroll and Low Stakes Strategies

B

billiamwedge

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was just wondering if strategies change based on if you're playing in a freeroll vs Low Stakes tournaments ($3 and below), and how to take advantage of looser players in freerolls to actually make the money (as the fields are usually like 1000+ people).

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
loose players call raises more often! therefore, with the right approach, you can draw more game chips from them

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you should take a different approach in micro-stakes and freerolls compared to higher stakes UNLESS you have a read. Don't play against a very tough opponent in a freeroll differently, for example, than you would in a high-stakes game.

Without any reads, good adjustments to early freeroll play usually include:

** Play an ABC tight-aggressive style

** Bluff much less

** Value bet thinner

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
At the start of tournaments, particularly freerolls, you will find people that are ready to gamble, including shoving with any two cards so that they can either double up, or bust early. In these stages I avoid speculative implied odds hands like suited connectors and weak suited Aces and I almost never bluff. I'll also call a lot lighter, especially against the maniacs.

As the tournament progresses it turns into most regular MTT's, if anything players become tighter near the bubble because it often means growing their bankroll from $0.00 to $0.10 and that is a big deal for them.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the free roll isn't after a bubble economy, It does not provide a cash game with useful information.