Folding AA

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you ever folded AA? I just finished a free roll on ACR (poker.org). Payout out was for top 54. 56 players left and I am at 52nd. I get AA in big blinds. Everyone limps so I check. I think the flop came 5 7 9 rainbow. Mr big stack bets putting me all in, and oh yes did i folded. Ended ITM. Whats your story?

MrHachiman

MrHachiman

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never, only on satellites structure

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you ever folded AA? I just finished a free roll on ACR (poker.org). Payout out was for top 54. 56 players left and I am at 52nd. I get AA in big blinds. Everyone limps so I check. I think the flop came 5 7 9 rainbow. Mr big stack bets putting me all in, and oh yes did i folded. Ended ITM. Whats your story?

Good fold, I would have done the same. With his stack he can play anything, easy to hit two pair or trips on the flop.
I have done the same in similar situations. In a scenario with me being real short stacked and not sure if I would make it, I would hold on to them.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone limps? The more players are in the hand and you have AA the less likely it is that you will win with it - especially OOP.

With ICM implications I don't hate the fold.

Good luck!

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I fold it all the time especially in satellites.

In general the way I see it sometimes why take the risk and end it up with nothing for your work. It all comes down to the goal of your game if you are playing to min cash then fold it if you playing to run deep then play it.

Many players would tell you in all tournaments they are in it to win, but for me I have different goals and they change as the tournament progresses sometimes I play super aggro and try and accumulate as many chips as possible when bubble approaches and I just say to myself stay out of trouble take the min cash and then go from there.

In this specific spot you outlines I would have shoved it preflop though as there was not enough breathing space between your position and the the target cash position. What if the the two persons outside the cash double up you are then screwed and you would not get a better cards than this. If you were around let's say in 48th or so safely fold.

I am glad it worked out for you. and you made itm. I have been screwed many times in these spots all sorts of ragged hands call and knock you out or sometimes the other persons below you get a walk or a double.

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Nice fold. Glad you made the money. I might not have made the money if I was in your situation because when the action came to me I would've just shoved preflop and hoped for the best. Any chips you can gain especially when short stack become so important if you want to make a run for the final table and have a chance of winning. Just my opinion. Glad it worked out for

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only in a satelitte tournament and near off the bubble

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Yes I am...:)
The only time it is right to fold AA is when you are in a satellite tournament. Let say 101 people left and 100 qualify. You have a solid stack and know that if you don't play at all you will 100% qualify while if you call someone's all in you can lose. Calling in this situation is a big mistake and the only right play is to fold.
In other tournament types, you cannot fold it even in a big money bubble as AA is quite a big favourite vs any other hand in Hold'em so you always get right odds...

Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very bad play bunch of limpers raise 4x or 5x and will have all in preflop vs one or if big stack calls cbet flop and call shove or you shove if he raises

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

The important thing in any tournament is to stay in the tournament. Since you are at 52nd and within payment zone, i think folding is a very good decision.

However i don't understand one thing. While you are at BB and every body limps, why did not you raised substantially as you were last to act pre-flop?

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this case, the right decision. Here the risk is completely unnecessary.

weezy1312

weezy1312

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
TN
Chips
i think you should have shoved especially since you are last to call and you had a lot of limpers , the pot already got bigger and interesting so even with a fold it is a win for your bankroll and if called well you got the odds to double up , especially it is a freeroll , last places ITM are most of the time few cents so if your playing a freeroll you aim to go to the final table to make a win , take your chances to go to that final table and dont settle for few cents. i think its terribly wrong to fold that on those conditions ( just my opinion ) good luck on next games.

M

Meepomancer1122

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Would only fold it in a satellite, or if I ever got into a tournament for which the buy-in was really expensive (wsop main event, for example). Otherwise, shove preflop ALWAYS and hope for the double/triple-up

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The important thing in any tournament is to stay in the tournament. Since you are at 52nd and within payment zone, i think folding is a very good decision.

However i don't understand one thing. While you are at BB and every body limps, why did not you raised substantially as you were last to act pre-flop?

With the size of their stacks everyone would have called.

muse713

muse713

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you should have shoved especially since you are last to call and you had a lot of limpers , the pot already got bigger and interesting so even with a fold it is a win for your bankroll and if called well you got the odds to double up , especially it is a freeroll , last places ITM are most of the time few cents so if your playing a freeroll you aim to go to the final table to make a win , take your chances to go to that final table and dont settle for few cents. i think its terribly wrong to fold that on those conditions ( just my opinion ) good luck on next games.

Thanks for the feedback. I am a micro stakes player, so every little bit counts.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never throw AA because I always throw the all in preflopp. after a while I stop taking risks with this hand.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In freerolls I have a very bad expiriance of not folding AA,but still thing in that tournaments all in is the best solution.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AA is the best 2 card poker hand. Texas Holdem is a 7 card game, a pair just isn't good enough to go all-in for value, especially in a multi-way pot. Winning 5 out of 6 times sounds great, as long as the 1 out of 6 times you lose you do not lose your entire stack. In a multiway pot you are now winning 2 out of 3 times, which is better, but if your stack can't handle the loss, then it is good to be weary of the play.

Of course I am only talking about value here - an all-in play is not just about value as sometimes you are hoping for the other players to just fold. If under the circumstances, you are not likely to get the folds, then by default you are now concerned about value only.

I might have folded as well, but it is very hard to let go of AA and KK. A large percentage of the times i have been knocked out of a tournament is because I put too much value on a pair and got destroyed. Pairs Suck, but sometimes you have no options left.

Gyry

Gyry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have two aces in order to eliminate the possibility of playing on small cards, you should raise or reraise, preferably 4-5 BB. otherwise it will be easy to win on connectors or other combinations, depending on the flop. I think it is elementary and logical. my personal opinion...play on them only to call and see that you can be interrupted, this also happened, therefore I recommend increasing the rate in order to avoid bad beat.. in your situation think i go all in before flop
and one more, maybe it was a bluff, with a big stack it’s easy to do it

L

LongRover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know some players would disagree with my play, but, yes, I have folded AA more than once! In the same circumstances, I would fold AA again.

In one of the circumstances that I am talking about, I was on the bubble and I intentionally folded from a late position in order to finish in the money rather than to take a chance on being eliminated. It worked, and I survived to end up in the money.

In another circumstance, I was not on the bubble, but I folded AA. My reason for folding: despite my high raise and re-raise pre-flop, and despite my high raises on the flop and turn, four players came to the river with me. The community cards, and the cards that flopped on the turn and river had not increased the value of my AA, but they opened up a real possibility of much stronger cards for my opponents. So, I folded my AA on the river, and, as things turned out, had I not folded and gone all-in, I would have lost my entire bankroll to a middle straight. Lesson learned, but, at least, despite my losses, I remained alive in the game.

I am now very careful with AA, especially when following my own raises and re-raises - I notice that there is going to be a crowd at the showdown since that is how AA is most likely to be cracked. My experience with AA is that it is more likely to be cracked when more, and not less, opponents go to the river. Ditto for KK and QQ.

In case you are interested, here is more info about AA from my point of view:

Some writers put AA in the same win category of hole cards as KK and, to a lesser degree, with QQ. I do not. According to these writers, the win percentage for each, is about 83%. In other words - 8,300 times out of 10,000 hands played, these cards will win. Conversely, there is a 17% chance of losing everytime you play these cards. So, 1,700 times out of every 10,000 hands played, these cards will lose.

Based upon my own playing experience, I put the win percentage of AA higher at 86% and the win percentage of KK just slightly lower at 85%. But, I do agree with other writers that the win percentage of QQ is 83%. Conversely, I put the loss percentage of AA at 14%, the loss percentage of KK at 15% and the loss percentage of QQ at 17%. That means, just to go through the statistics, that AA will win 8,600 times out of every 10,000 hands played, that KK will win 8,500 time out of every 10,000 hands played, and that QQ will win 8,300 times out of every 10,000 hands played. Conversely, AA will lose 1,400 out of every 10,000 hands played, KK will lose 1,500 times out of 10,000 hands played, and QQ will lose 1,700 out of every 10,000 hands played.

The normal way of playing AA and KK and QQ as hole cards is fairly similar, and that is to aggressively bet pre-flop, raise pre-flop and to re-raise pre-flop where possible. This aggression should normally continue throughout the flop, turn and river. So, if you do lose on these so-called monsters, the loss is probably going to be a big one in terms of chips. Conversely, if you do win, the pot will usually be a huge also.

Now, it must be understood, that winning or losing, respectively, can happen all day long because win and loss percentages cannot actually predict "when" these cards will win or lose, only that they will win or lose a certain percentage of the time per every 10,000 hands played. So, strange as it is to say, because the "when" of it cannot be predicted, then neither a win nor a loss can be guaranteed when playing with cards like AA, KK or QQ. Just something to remember when playing these cards.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Folding the Aces

I rarely fold them as i am sure do many other players but the real skill comes when playing the long game with aces, as we all know if you are going for value or slow playing the aces to showdown..you run every risk of seeing a flop, turn and river.
I am in two camps on folding aces...flush draws on the board in a multi way pot will sometimes get me to consider this..dependent also on other factors such as effective stack sizes, player images and my notes (yes the pirates infamous notes!).
I also see aces cracked more by flopped 2 pairs and set miners than anything else so thats a consideration, there are 3 or 4 players on CC that i know who like to play monster pairs to the river so if i am up against them and i have AA then i will indulge myself and often let those players bet themselves out..

Its a great discipline to lay down any premium hand and i rate folding as important a skill as any..

Live to fight another day - the pirate way

Ar Ar Ar Ar

bijan777

bijan777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes i fold Aa when bord was flashy
Trips
St
Is no hard work so esay fold aa just a pair bro not more

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have and would’ve done the same as you folded much too close to the money to call the all-In. I’ve called few times in this scenario and it hasn’t paid off for me.

A

AG04CAS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excluding satelites where i have enough stack to get my spot .... its a shove pre all day long .... AA is too strong a hand to fold ... i understand you want to cash but a chance for a double up and to go deep in the tourney outways this fold....

your currently out of the money in 56 .... absolutely no guarantee the fold gets you there .... you have the strongest starting hand and a large stack willing to shove with you....

I would never fold and would shove pre all day long.....if i lose thats poker i win i get a crack at the real money.....i just dont see a fold here.

Ikeman74

Ikeman74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never folded AA preflop.
But I sometimes folded postflop,when Board contained Straight- or Flush-Draws or two High Cards and my Opponent bets high or even raises me.
Yeah,I really did that a couple of times.

Folding in Poker