Folding a "good" hand

D

DanielTLJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello there! I am a casual poker player. I usually play with friends at local tournaments. Today i played a very strange tournament, we started at about 110$, 5 players, and the blinds were huge! 20$/10$. This meant we had about 5BB and everyone was mostly folding.Ok, enough of talking, let's get to the action, i quickly find myselft in the BB with A2o. There were still 5 players at the table. The guy on my left, first to act, goes all in for 40$. The next guy reshoves for 70$. I was like hmm, i will call this if the other 2 guys fold, i was getting good odds, considering they would shove pretty much everything in that spot. But then, the 3rd player calls for 70$ ( he had about 210$ starting that hand, the biggest stack at the table), i was like hmm, okay. And then, the 4th player (which started that hand at about 120$) calls for 70$ and the action comes to me. The pot is 250$.
I find myself in a very difficult situation, do i call for another 50$ for 250$, do i just fold, do i reshove? At that time i was really scared, i was pretty sure that one of the bigger stacks had an A in their hand which would make my odds really awful. I finally decided to fold, considering that it's a bad idea to call into so many players.
Finally, the actions continues, the flop comes J2K rainbow, and the 3rd player(the big stack) raises 50$ to put the 4th player into an all-in situation and he calls. They show the cards: 1st player: Q3o, 2nd: J10s, 3rd:K8o, 4th:K80 also. This is the moment i thought myself: "wait, i had good odds preflop, i should've reshoved earlier".
The turn is a 4 and the river is a 5, which means that the 1st and the 2nd player go out of the tournament and the other 2 split the pot.
The question is, was my play correct? Or I should've reshoved? I'm really confused about that play and any help is great! Sorry for the long post, have a nice day!

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding good hands

i have folded AK to pocket pair of AA it hurts to fold them. but it turned out for the good when two or three people goes all in on first hand the pocket pair of AA would of lost.mostly when it's a free roll or any tourney.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you forgot to mention your stack.
1) looking back: you would have lost, so you did well folding
2) A2o out of position, I would not join a 4-way (going into 5-way pot) against the chip lead.
3) using 'normal' starting hand charts, only J10s is considered playable and K8o questionable
my conclusion: you did well, this hand was more bingo than poker

D

DanielTLJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh,yeah...I had a stack of 110$, thanks for your answers!

MKaizer07

MKaizer07

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Daniel, the right move there was to fold. The reason why it is the right play is because your odds to beat a the other players is slim at best. Also you probably wouldn't have scared any players away by reshoving because they were already priced in to the hand. Hope that helps you.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Your decision was right. A2 is a very weak hand to call 4 raises, specially out of position. And more, after the flop, when you hit only a pair of 2, would you call the 50 bet? I don't think so, you would put at least one of the two with a K or J. So, you would fold after the flop anyways. Well, I hope so...You played well, the other ones are just maniac players.

D

DanielTLJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, right, they get scared rarely anyway. Thanks for the help!

D

DanielTLJ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, and i wouldn't have called the extra 50 after the flop. Thanks for the immense help!

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A2 is a dreadful hand against multiway preflop action. Folding is the right play. Can't regret it.

On any given hand luck is the deciding factor, but over time calling A2os in that situation is for sure a losing proposition.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands Folding in Poker