The first and most important step on the real learning poker.

I

Iceman0805

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker for almost ten years and I thought I knew play poker but in fact I was stucked. My game never improved.

So I realize I was trapped on that illusion that I might be one of those genius whom intuition and intelligence would surpass every kind of obstacle.

I realize that deep inside I thought studying poker was unnecessary, at least for me.

And then I realize that that was the exactly kind of thinking of an arrogant rookie.

So I decided to take the first step on the hard way of learning. Real learning.

My message, then, to those who think they are innate genius is: believe me, you're not.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, there! What learning resources do you like to use? I've been studying videos and articles on the internet on MTT play, and they seem to help. I know some people still rely on books, but I'm not sure of which books are still relevant. The dynamics of the game seem to change, even over the course of a single year.

Anyway, if you could tell us more about how you are learning, that'd be cool!

4nocreativity

4nocreativity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been looking for good material to learn from. I would prefer videos, maybe podcasts or audio books. I'm not much of a reader.

Any suggestions?

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play poker for almost ten years and I thought I knew play poker but in fact I was stucked. My game never improved.

So I realize I was trapped on that illusion that I might be one of those genius whom intuition and intelligence would surpass every kind of obstacle.

I realize that deep inside I thought studying poker was unnecessary, at least for me.

And then I realize that that was the exactly kind of thinking of an arrogant rookie.

My message, then, to those who think they are innate genius is: believe me, you're not.
What about those that wish to enjoy the game and dont like the idea of study,what category do you put them in?just saying.I mean i dont even know the true meaning of innate so i cant be a genius,doesnt mean i cant achieve some good wins here n there right?If i wanted to be one of the best poker players ever ,i would study lol.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good message, welcome to the forum. Keep on fighting the good fight. If you're going to play you might as well play right. I've found the ICMIZER software helpful. Push/fold is a good area to work on

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I agree totally.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello, there! What learning resources do you like to use? I've been studying videos and articles on the internet on MTT play, and they seem to help. I know some people still rely on books, but I'm not sure of which books are still relevant. The dynamics of the game seem to change, even over the course of a single year.

I think the technical part of poker contains math and tree decisions. In some time, tree decisions may change, but math never changes. So I recommend you learn all about poker math.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Won't hold the last line of your post against you, no way you could have known The Hillbilly was still hangin around the forum. Welcome to the forum & welcome back WV, hope all goes well for you & yours.
icon14.gif

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

In principle, poker can be replaced with any other activity in this message and this will not change the essence of what is written. Therefore, just as labor made a man out of a monkey, so labor (study) will make a professional out of a fish.:rolleyes:

I

Iceman0805

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How to learn.

Hello, mate.

It would be a great pleasure to share how I'm learning. That's for sure.

Nevertheless, and this doesn't mean I won't share, I sincerely believe on the singularity of someone's learning. What really matters is take responsability of what you do. Every progress and every mistake is our and no one else. In this case, the method itself lack of importance. What really counts, in my opinion, is not get stucked. You must see progress in your game. Even when you make mistakes, there must be progress on them. If someone keep making the same mistakes, there'd be the first thing to work on.

I hope to share something valuable soon.

:icon_thum

I

Iceman0805

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Materials to study

I've been looking for good material to learn from. I would prefer videos, maybe podcasts or audio books. I'm not much of a reader.

Any suggestions?

Hello, my friend.

Well, it depends on your level I guess. I always preferred books so I don't know if tell you some books names would be helpful.

I used to listen a podcast from "smart poker study" and I liked.

I believe you should try watch some vlogs from pros.

Well, I hope I've helped somehow.

:icon_salu

I

Iceman0805

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker as a life goal

What about those that wish to enjoy the game and dont like the idea of study,what category do you put them in?just saying.I mean i dont even know the true meaning of innate so i cant be a genius,doesnt mean i cant achieve some good wins here n there right?If i wanted to be one of the best poker players ever ,i would study lol.

Hello, mate.

Well, there is no problem at all if you want keep poker as fun or as a hobby.

But if you take poker seriously in your life as I do so you should study. At least I think so.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hey there, welcome to CC. As I started reading your post, I was hoping to find some suggestions, but it looks like you've used a kind of "catchy" title to get us lol. Anyway, the main idea is true and very important. Any serious poker player should look to improve his game by the most effective way and that's studying. So please share some of the material if you have found any. Good luck :).

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, mate.

Well, there is no problem at all if you want keep poker as fun or as a hobby.

But if you take poker seriously in your life as I do so you should study. At least I think so.

Fair comment friend,but i still believe i can do it without lol maybe in another 1 or 2 years i will feel the same as you.
I am a bit like that with everything really,i can keep myself busy and happily strum away on a guitar for hours on end..its good enough for me and i really enjoy it,but am not overly interested in learning guitar or other peoples tunes.
I guess i would just feel more successful doing it by myself ,and i kind of like being the one that after 8 years still doesnt know what ICM is haha.
And there is a plus side to playing a relaxed or careless game a lot of the time,or being known as someone that does not study,when it really counts you will call my all-in sooner than someone elses.
Maybe one day i will get off the innate genius club fence and join the transcended ego club but until then i will continue to play absolutely horrible whenever i feel like it and enjoy my life and my poker and hopefully through experience and picking up whatever tips fall into my hands...hopefully,i will start making a regular earn.
To be honest,i feel like i would be the sucker if i wasted what life i had left studying,i think thats what it really boils down to.
I,m sure your study will bring you success and wish you exactly that in 2020.
Also i would like to ask a favor of you if i could.
In your study ,would it be possible for you to reply with the next SUBSTANTIAL lesson you learn,just out of interest i would like to know how quickly after ten years something new can be shown to you in such a way you could use it in your game..cheers again and gl :)

SLazarov

SLazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Haha i feel you. Back in the years, when my friends started to play poker and me too, i was winning most of the games with them, but chosen a regular life, and chose a normal job. Thinking i can always go to play poker if they will succeed. They succeded and live a much better life than i do, and i was trying to get in, but apparently i dont have enough experience and knowlede. So now when we play together i never win)))

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't be afraid to fail, not for the fail, but for all thing you can learn by them.
And this, for me, it's a very important way of studying.

But also, keep yourself on, be informated.