Figuring out the correct stakes

boomsmitty

boomsmitty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So let's say that my bankroll was a clean $400.

I want to play cash. Following articles I've read online, I believe the correct game for me to play with this bankroll would be 5c/10c.

Does this sound correct? That is going on advice I read online that you should have about 40 Buy Ins. But I think that a max buy in of 100 big blinds (at this level) is $10 and therefore is about 2.5% of my bankroll - half what Chris Ferguson recommends in his article on BRM.

Cheers

M

mad_chils139

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its correct 5c10c is ur game i made a chart maybe this can help
5nl $150-->10nl $350--> 25nl $850-->50nl $1850-->100nl $5k

pashkawell

pashkawell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to play by keeping a bankroll management.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the right bet,looking back on the bankroll

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So let's say that my bankroll was a clean $400.

I want to play cash. Following articles I've read online, I believe the correct game for me to play with this bankroll would be 5c/10c.

Does this sound correct? That is going on advice I read online that you should have about 40 Buy Ins. But I think that a max buy in of 100 big blinds (at this level) is $10 and therefore is about 2.5% of my bankroll - half what Chris Ferguson recommends in his article on BRM.

Cheers

That is where I would want to be, but you can't let bankroll dictate the correct game.

If I had 10k should I be playing 100nl?

The short answer is "no". The reason is I can't beat 100nl. In 100nl my bankroll swings wildly which is not what you want. You want a steady, slow, climb.

You need to start at which ever level suits your skill set. If you are unsure, its off to the basement at .01/.02. Run it up 100.00 and then move up. If you are losing or breaking even at .01/.02, keep working on your game.

I don't see anything negative about playing a month at 2nl before moving up to 10nl. There is a lot of downside to playing a level you are not ready for. It could cost you 1/2 your bankroll, maybe more.

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I advise you to play with $ 50 in NL 2. So when you have doubled to $ 100, you are ready for NL 5. With what you have saved, that is 350 plus the 100, that will give 450, you get 150 and make $ 300 NL5. When this happens, you will be ready for the dream NL10. Now, if you already have a great experience and joined those $ 400 playing other modes, you can choose to play a two or three times in NL10, in the case $ 30 dollars to do a test. If you miss the three entries, stop immediately AND RETURN TO NL 2, MAKING THE RECOMMENDED PROCEDURES. I do not know if it's the right thing, but with all this money, it's what I would do. I'm currently at zero.

Last edited:
boomsmitty

boomsmitty

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
All very good advice, thanks guys.

I first started playing hold'em about 10 years ago, but it's crazy because only now (after a few years away from the game) have I fully understood BRM. Before I would load $20 a time onto my account and just play random cash games and SNGs until I went broke. I had no structure - no PLAN.

But now I do. It's quite satisfying making a Bank Roll plan - knowing what stakes to play and when to move up/down. I've physically written it down on a white board so it takes emotion out of it and I can see it, clear as day.

Let's see how it goes.

B

BreakTheBeard

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Years ago when I belonged to PXF, the general bankroll rule was 100 buy-ins. That way you're not too worried about how much money you are losing and you can comfortably play your game. If you get below 80 or so, drop down a level until you climb back.