Feeling overwhelmed / Where to start?

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

I recently returned to poker after a long hiatus and wow has the landscape changed. I just decided to do some free rolls on pokerstars and 888 to see which I'd prefer to deposit with and found cardschat.

As I started to look around the site I was amazed by how much information was on here. As I dug deeper I found myself overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Plus the game seems to have changed so much! I want to learn more but where to begin? I only have limited time so where best to spend it?
- reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game
- setting up ranges/other strategies
- plus I want to play of course! do I want to deposit now or wait till I have studied more?

So where to begin? I know this question sounds vague but I really am stuck on what to do next. To cut it down a little, I don't play cash games, just SNG and MTT. I like the idea of ranges, but this new to me from my poker days of 15 years ago! As is all the software available,

Cheers,

Big Red

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I started to look around the site I was amazed by how much information was on here. As I dug deeper I found myself overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Plus the game seems to have changed so much! I want to learn more but where to begin? I only have limited time so where best to spend it?
- reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game
- plus I want to play of course! do I want to deposit now or wait till I have studied more?

So where to begin? I know this question sounds vague but I really am stuck on what to do next. To cut it down a little, I don't play cash games, just SNG and MTT
Where to start?

First, if we play SNG or MTT, I prefer MTT, mainly because currently playing SNG is losing money, the rake, in most of the rooms is very high and also the tables of this modality are harder.

Second, to learn it is better to avoid "books on poker" and do not try to study your game because without the right knowledge is wasting time, the ideal in these cases is to watch videos, bankroll challenges or similar, on the internet you can find many.

Third, deposit and play in low levels, in tournaments under $ 2. But if in doubt, play some free tournaments.

These are the best recommendations to start.

FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Yeah! tht's what I'm struggling with also!

If I were you, Iwould begin with analysing my own game, experiencing on tables and finding the format and the limit in which I have an edge on other players!

Gl at the tables

Danjwarburton

Danjwarburton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there,

I recently returned to poker after a long hiatus and wow has the landscape changed. I just decided to do some free rolls on pokerstars and 888 to see which I'd prefer to deposit with and found cardschat.

- reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game

So where to begin? I know this question sounds vague but I really am stuck on what to do next. To cut it down a little, I don't play cash games, just SNG and MTT. I like the idea of ranges, but this new to me from my poker days of 15 years ago! As is all the software available,

Cheers,

Big Red

Nowadays, the cards play themselves... money is in nonshowdown value now!

Most people are small ballers trying to pot control all the time, understand range connectivity and utilise 3bet/4bets and checkraises combined with blind steals and resteals. You will find these are where your edges are!

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there,

- reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game

Cheers,

Big Red

reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game

poker is no different .. if you knew how to play you still know how to play....

1st study your hands if gonna invest pokertracker 4 hud is worth it

2nd is plenty of people on twitch making money and showing what and how they play

3rd play get back in the game

4th post here and get on freeroll club

5th next season get into the league this will up your game for sure

gl gl gl gl

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nowadays, the cards play themselves... money is in nonshowdown value now!

Most people are small ballers trying to pot control all the time, understand range connectivity and utilise 3bet/4bets and checkraises combined with blind steals and resteals. You will find these are where your edges are!

That sounds good to me my game revolves around avoiding showdowns, just need to develop a better understanding of ranges.

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1st study your hands if gonna invest pokertracker 4 hud is worth it

2nd is plenty of people on twitch making money and showing what and how they play

3rd play get back in the game

4th post here and get on freeroll club

5th next season get into the league this will up your game for sure

gl gl gl gl

Thanks, I am actually very much excited about trying no 5! Leagues sound so much fun.:)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you have limited time as you said, my advice - keep it simple and cheap. Cardschat is the place to be for that. Play the Cardschat freerolls and League games once you're eligible. The Pokerstars hand replayer is fantastic! Since many freerolls and League games are played on Pokerstars that gives you the best of both worlds. Replay every hand that you have any doubt about and analyze each one. It's easy, quick and cheap (i.e., free).

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Starting w/ some of the cardschat freerolls to get your feet wet is always good.

Get some kind of tracker so you can review your play and post hands. If you can, join an online study group of people around your stakes.

There's lot of good free content out there to learn from, but also a lot of garbage. So just make sure you're not just listening to what people are saying, but thinking about what really makes sense.

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Personally for me, 888 is better. The players’ pool is way softer than at PS. Plus, although both two rooms look pretty good and have very much excellent features now, 888poker software works better. The Aurora, new graphic engine created by PokerStars, is a real hell and always making even a good and “neoteric” PC stall. Especially is you like to open more than one tournament table at the same time LOL. Hopefully, you can always simply turn off the Aurora in the settings. Though, if you like to play SNG and MTT more than cash games, maybe PS would be better for you ’cause that room has better selection of different types of MTT’s and SNG’s. So the final decision is up to you.

I want to learn more but where to begin? I only have limited time so where best to spend it?
- reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game
- plus I want to play of course! […]

You have to spend time on doing all of these things. Sad but true. Even though you have limited time there is a lot of poker information in Internet, so try to select some of good internet resources to learn the strategy, and good luck to you at tables!

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You must decide for yourself what is important for you at the current time. You manage to play MTT well, watch the video about MTT key points. If there is a need for poker programs, play with an authorized program for the benefit of the case. Most importantly, it will tune in to the game.))

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread, I appreciate all your comments. They all helped me to move forward from a position of being stuck not knowing what to do next, when the best thing is often to just do something.

I kept going with some more freerolls and I cashed in 3, although no final tables. Most notable for me was 2196th/62557 in the Pokerstars Platinum $10k freeroll, which was great fun.

I have also been watching some of Daniel Negreanu's wsop vlogs for entertainment and study.( When I say some, I mean all but the last two episodes of 2019, I really enjoy them!).

Thanks again, and good luck on the tables everyone!:)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there,

- reading about poker
- watching videos
- setting up software
- analyzing my own game

Cheers,

Big Red

Keep it simple and take it slow.

People are learning yes, but a solid basic strategy is still all you need to get started.

The key is avoiding the big mistakes, playing too wide ranges, overplaying hands, not being able to fold, and not being able to turn hands into bluffs when you sense weakness.

I think you'll find as you start playing and spend less time scouring the internet you'll remember what you know before and that poke is still poker and your confidence will return.

Deposit, and play, and maybe mix 30 minutes of studying for every 2-3 hours of play. The important thing is getting back into the flow of the game, the rhythm, the spots, the routine. If you spend all your time in theory you'll likely feel overwhelmed and forget that it's just poker.

Also check your motivations, are you playing for pleasure? to win some money? or to be a pro? Based on that the amount of study vs play will be very different.

Hope that helps brother, have fun out there :fight:

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you'll find as you start playing and spend less time scouring the internet you'll remember what you know before and that poke is still poker and your confidence will return......

If you spend all your time in theory you'll likely feel overwhelmed and forget that it's just poker.

I think you really hit the nail on the head there! That is exactly what was going on.

Also check your motivations, are you playing for pleasure? to win some money? or to be a pro? Based on that the amount of study vs play will be very different.

That is very good advice, I have a vague idea that I am playing for the pleasure of winning money, and I am not going to be a pro. I will be giving this some more thought and try to set some more concrete goals, or 'intentions' as DNegs would say:).

That all definitely helps.

Cheers bro!

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it simple and take it slow.

People are learning yes, but a solid basic strategy is still all you need to get started.

The key is avoiding the big mistakes, playing too wide ranges, overplaying hands, not being able to fold, and not being able to turn hands into bluffs when you sense weakness.

I think you'll find as you start playing and spend less time scouring the internet you'll remember what you know before and that poke is still poker and your confidence will return.

Deposit, and play, and maybe mix 30 minutes of studying for every 2-3 hours of play. The important thing is getting back into the flow of the game, the rhythm, the spots, the routine. If you spend all your time in theory you'll likely feel overwhelmed and forget that it's just poker.

Hope that helps brother, have fun out there :fight:
Hey bro!

I watched some of your videos on Thursday, this happened on Friday ( I am Bostinbeats on ACR). Going to purchase some fire shades with the proceeds:cool:

Attachments

• JustaPenny2020-03-20 165657.jpg
    JustaPenny2020-03-20 165657.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 18
Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats bro! Great plan!!!

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Run these tables!!!! LFG BostinBeats!

bigredwolf

bigredwolf

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
has it really been a month

I really haven't felt like posting much as things began to get serious with coronavirus, it just felt trivial.

Lots of good things have happened over the last few weeks, including my first final table at a Cardschat tournament, and my second one too. Also made my new bankroll target of $300, and made $100 in one day for the first time, so lots of great progress.

Today I won a satellite to a satellite for a ticket to a SCOOP $1M GTD and won that so wish me luck!

Thanks again to everyone for the great advice on this journey.

Cheers and good luck to you all,

Big Red

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would just try to do something every day to work on your game. Very quickly you will find out what you like and what helps. I would try some freerolls and try to find out which site has the best promos, before you make a deposit.