Feel overwhelmed with information.

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum and see a lot of good information around. I have recently been running into a problem of "paralysis by analysis" where Im trying to learn too many things at once. So here's my question.

If you could give your former self one piece of advice when you were just starting to get into the thick of learning online poker.... what would it be?

I think mine so far has been at lower stakes people tend to bet when they actually have it. Where the higher up I've played I've noticed a lot more messing around . :)

Thanks for having me!

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Hi and welcome to Cardchat

Right now you can only play freerolls which are listed here ...
Password Thread For Bronze Level Freerolls (All Members)

You may want to check this out aswell ...
CardsChat Freerolls & Tournament Access Info

... and since you're new here this might be something for you too ...
Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days!

Anyway by staying active etc you'd be able to play even more games one day ...
CardsChat Silver Level & Platinum Freeroll Club Password Access Requirements

Want to practice play-money "skills" and still win money? Then watch this.
All about cardschat league & FAQ

Since You signed up in this current month you may want to check this out ...
October 2021 New Member Bankroll Builder Survey

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi and welcome to Cardchat

... and since you're new here this might be something for you too ...
Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days!

I've read quite a bit of this already. I feel like before I was playing online that I had a really solid grasp of poker. I played quite a bit more about 10 years ago in live games. But I look forward to learning as much as possible from here!

mervin88

mervin88

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
beginner then play tight is right

value with value hands

fold fold fold everything and play top 12% of your hands

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does this count as not posting? This would be my third comment. I'm a little confused on how to participate in the forum and receive credit for my posts?

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does this count as not posting? This would be my third comment. I'm a little confused on how to participate in the forum and receive credit for my posts?
I think that's because you're posting in the "New Members/Intros" area. Not sure what the thinking is, but they don't count these posts.

The Quality Post thread says:
"Posts that we disregard when looking for both quantity and quality are any posts in the Introduction forum, the Joke of the Day thread and those in any of the foreign language threads."
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/new-members-corner-76/what-a-quality-post-323519/

Try posting in some other area (perhaps https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/) and you should see your post count go up.

Last edited:
Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with your advice. Also they don't usually barrel all three streets for value, they passivelt call you or make small bets and then bomb the river.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good observation; yes, lowest stakes tend to only bet when they think they are ahead. At higher levels (even a little higher), the players become a bit more balanced and somewhat less predictable to prevent being exploited (although still not without their leaks).

Feeling overwhelmed is natural; there is so much information out there now and lots of useful information too! My advice to this is the simple realization that you don't have to learn it all overnight. Poker takes years to get really good at in most cases - even if you devour the information quickly, it takes longer to accumulate the experience.

Just keep learning and keep improving at whatever pace you feel comfortable with. Just play your best and learn from your mistakes; this is basically the same process applied even up through professional level :)

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cardschat course is good play to start with Become a Winning Poker Player in 30 Days!

Lot of content on Web, but its not structured and can get overwhelming and confusing.

Better lookout for content with is well organized.

Good luck.. !!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello. I'm brand new to this forum and see a lot of good information around. I have recently been running into a problem of "paralysis by analysis" where Im trying to learn too many things at once. So here's my question.

If you could give your former self one piece of advice when you were just starting to get into the thick of learning online poker.... what would it be?

I think mine so far has been at lower stakes people tend to bet when they actually have it. Where the higher up I've played I've noticed a lot more messing around . :)

Thanks for having me!

One of the worst things you can do is take on to much new information and try to apply it all at once. Poker is a long term game and you would be better off adding one new thing at a time. Also just pick one area at a time. You want to learn better post flop play. Just look into and research post flop information play. Reading and learning about pre flop squeezing at the same time is a completely different thing and can be incorporated later on. Once proficient in one spot the pick a new subject. Also remember to put in the proper amount of time into it. Its not a race. Spending 2 or 3 months working on some situations and areas of the game is not a bad thing.

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the worst things you can do is take on to much new information and try to apply it all at once. Poker is a long term game and you would be better off adding one new thing at a time. Also just pick one area at a time. You want to learn better post flop play. Just look into and research post flop information play. Reading and learning about pre flop squeezing at the same time is a completely different thing and can be incorporated later on. Once proficient in one spot the pick a new subject. Also remember to put in the proper amount of time into it. Its not a race. Spending 2 or 3 months working on some situations and areas of the game is not a bad thing.

I think this sounds a lot like the KISS method? I'm working on taking the slow approach now and really focusing on just enjoying the game. I haven't taken poker seriously in almost a decade. The climate has changed quite a bit since then.