Fedor Holz Article Questions/Discussion

J

joeyvegasboi

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.pokernews.com/strategy/...itch-bluff-catching-with-fedor-holz-32944.htm

Hello all,

I read a great article on poker news here above of Fedor analyzing a hand.

I am confused although when it gets to the section regarding
Wow. There's a lot to unpack here. As Holz mentioned, Villain chose a two-thirds bet size which means in order to make Holz indifferent to calling, he needs 5 value hands for every 2 bluffs.

The part I really do not understand is where do these 5 and 2 numbers come from? Then it says

If we only look at the straight draw combos that Holz mentioned, Villain has 128 bluffs. This means he needs 320 value betting combos to balance the straight draws.

Are these arbitrary numbers based off a perceived Value betting and bluffing ranges? Thanks! Lots of good stuff in here but doesn't help much if you can't make sense of it, I am newer but am trying to understand the game in a deeper way.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fedor will be contributing with 2/7 of the pot if he decides to call. That means he will be indifferent to call that bet if he has the best hand 2/7 times and the opponent has the best hand 5/7 times.

As for the 128 and 320 part, I don't understand as well. Maybe someone else could shed some light.

P

Pete Ski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fedor will be contributing with 2/7 of the pot if he decides to call. That means he will be indifferent to call that bet if he has the best hand 2/7 times and the opponent has the best hand 5/7 times.

As for the 128 and 320 part, I don't understand as well. Maybe someone else could shed some light.

The 2/7 is simply a ratio 2/7 = approx .29 or 29% of hands when 2 is indifferent 5 is opponent is best and 7 is total

The 128 and 320 is the same ratio when looking at total combos 128 is indifferent, 320 is opponent best and 448 is total

128/448= approx .29 of 29%