Extracting maximum value from a hand

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So my question is how does one extract maximum value from a hand when they have the nuts? I find that too often I play too aggressively and cause the other players to fold when I could have gotten a lot more out of the hand. How can I work on this?

wetmoose

wetmoose

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
simply know thy enemy. agg players are more prone to pay and passives fold more unless they got big hands

dnegsisabadreg

dnegsisabadreg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't worry too much when you bet and they just fold. If no one has anything, they aren't going to pay you off anyway.

Just bet aggressively against calling stations, and check to the really wild aggressive players to let them bluff.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you know the player and what he commonly does (bluffing, etc;) it shouldn't be too hard.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So my question is how does one extract maximum value from a hand when they have the nuts? I find that too often I play too aggressively and cause the other players to fold when I could have gotten a lot more out of the hand. How can I work on this?

if you mean on the river then just bet less when you have the nuts
anything you get is just added money since no risk . I usually bet about 3/4 pot .
but if you flop the nuts then you just bet enough to give them odds to draw then pounce , sometimes they hit but depends on how strong you were.
JMO it would always depend on what hand , the board and who you're playing against and what position you have .

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hey Lespaul. I hope you read the link in the other thread about ABC poker and it now makes sense to you. Extracting value comes, like was mentioned earlier, from knowing your opponents. If they're really aggressive and betting on every street all the time, checking to them and allowing them to bluff the pot is the way to go. With a player like that, being aggressive will deter them possibly making them fold, so resist the urge to push. With other players, they may be happy to check the hand down, but 1/2 size pot bets or sometimes even less may be the way to go. This really comes from experience and playing more pots and being in the situation more often.

Today I played a mtt and flopped a set but all spades. I was the preflop raiser but instead of checking to me, the guy moved all in way overbetting the pot. I thought about it for a bit and folded and showed my hand and he showed me the nuts. In this situation he won the minimum possible. If he checks it to me, I certainly bet and he garners more chips from his all in raise. Some people are scared of calling and the board pairing. You can't play scared though. When you make your hand you want to get the most chips right? I would have played the hand much slower in an attempt to do just that.

I hope this helps and good luck.

K

ksidrew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just bet between 1/2 and 2/3 the size of the pot

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks so much for all the advice, I will definitely do my best to implement it.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on opponents and table dynamics.

If you think most likely he will call, then bet at the max side.

If you think he will fold because he is too tight, then bet the min side.

B

baklagan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the opponents and position.
If you are playing against aggressive player then it's better to check/call on flop, then bet/call/raise on turn and bet/raise on river (sometimes you may just check on river if you are 90% sure that it may cause your opponent to make a huge bet). When you are playing agains tight player it's better to make a small bets,that will give him a good call chances.

Last edited:
P

Poker247

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with above. It depends on the villains you are facing. With tight players, bet small to give them the right odds to call. With loose aggro players, sometimes a check, call then a check, checkraise will work. IMO you need to know if a check on the river will induce a bet from your opponent, otherwise bet small and hope for some extra profit. Gl!:)

Lespaul_Lover

Lespaul_Lover

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right, that makes a lot of sense. I would just think that if I hit the nuts on the flop and I play with a tight player and decide to call, I better be careful that he doesn't draw me out.

J

JPainTrainSicko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This depends on the player(s) your against, stack sizes, board textures, your perceived image and stage of the game. But all of this information falls back on knowing the oppenent and what they are considering and most likely tendencies. And even then sometimes you will not be able to get all you think you should.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands